Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Thank you Hashem! Schools to reopen in red zones
Previous  1  2  3  4

Laiya

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 11:50 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I don't understand this attitude. We are just getting over a second wave; at the end of the first wave everyone in my neighborhood needed to be tested in order to come back to school. I think that's a very good, common sense precaution.

As for government overreach - did you also protest when the government banned certain dishwashers and washing machines? When the government made seat belt laws? And to make it more local - do you also not follow all the nonsensical laws that New York city has recently put in place? Why suddenly in this area are we screaming "government overreach"?

It's a perversion of standard medical practice. People undergo medical tests when the result of the test would impact their treatment. This is a new paradigm, to force-test kids with no symptoms because they might infect someone else, and it raises the reasonable concern of a slippery slope. I honestly don't know how people don't see this as a concern after what we've just witnessed in NY over the past month.

The argument in favor of required school testing is especially weak given that we now know that schools are not super-spreaders, especially elementary schools, and that risk to children themselves of serious illness from covid is miniscule.

keym

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 11:54 pm
Laiya wrote:
It's a perversion of standard medical practice. People undergo medical tests when the result of the test would impact their treatment. This is a new paradigm, to force-test kids with no symptoms because they might infect someone else, and it raises the reasonable concern of a slippery slope. I honestly don't know how people don't see this as a concern after what we've just witnessed in NY over the past month.

The argument in favor of required school testing is especially weak given that we now know that schools are not super-spreaders, especially elementary schools, and that risk to children themselves of serious illness from covid is miniscule.

Why are we saying that it's unheard of.
I got TB tests standard at well visits. They were not comfortable, sometimes unpleasant, yet mandatory in my vaccine schedule. (And I was a kid in the 80s/early 90s)
They wanted to find the presymptomatic or assymptonatic TB patients and both treat and prevent the spread.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 12:09 am
going-up wrote:
I think this is just common sense and a great compromise. I don't understand those complaints regarding testing! My kids school did this out of their own choice, (not in NY) and all families cooperated. Noone wants to be the cause of spreading sickness. The nose swab is not comfortable but not actually painful or invasive, like many of you suggest. Some of you sound quite entitled. There is a pandemic going on! Yes, I don't think it was right for Cuomo to pick on the Jews and shut down schools. I think he should have done this great balance from the get-go. But to refuse testing makes you sound like entitled babies. For goodness sake, testing could save lives and keep your schools open!

Some of us see beyond this trap.
If he wants to close the schools or open them to suit his agenda, it will not be contingent on whether we tested or not
He is slowly building up his control. He wants weekly surveillance testing. If this doesn't say anything then I'm not sure you are ready to see it.
Entitled babies? Seriously? Lol.

Laiya

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 12:29 am
keym wrote:
Why are we saying that it's unheard of.
I got TB tests standard at well visits. They were not comfortable, sometimes unpleasant, yet mandatory in my vaccine schedule. (And I was a kid in the 80s/early 90s)
They wanted to find the presymptomatic or assymptonatic TB patients and both treat and prevent the spread.

Right, the outcome of the TB test would determine whether *you* were at risk.

In fact, the CDC itself calls this policy of forced school testing "unethical and illegal".

Last edited by Laiya on Sun, Nov 01 2020, 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 12:30 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
I'll be super mad if they don't!!

Right, cuz if we don't agree to test our healthy kids, you come to the only logical conclusion that they must be covid superspreaders and you don't want your kids to come near them, and you'll be mad if they don't stay home. (Right, that's probably why we don't want to test. Because we secretly know they're positive and want to spite you and send them to school anyway. Banging head )

Now that's what *I* call warped vision.

amother
White

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 12:53 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Right, cuz if we don't agree to test our healthy kids, you come to the only logical conclusion that they must be covid superspreaders and you don't want your kids to come near them, and you'll be mad if they don't stay home. (Right, that's probably why we don't want to test. Because we secretly know they're positive and want to spite you and send them to school anyway. Banging head )

Now that's what *I* call warped vision.

And you know your kids are covid free, how? You believing so, just as you believe that one's antibodies absolutely protect them and there was no spike recently?

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 3:40 pm
Are the kids getting saliva tests or nasal swab? Need to prepare my kiddo.

bsy

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 3:59 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Are the kids getting saliva tests or nasal swab? Need to prepare my kiddo.

I've only heard of nasal done at these drives

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:54 pm
Laiya wrote:

Standard medical practice when there is a pandemic is to test the population. A positive result means the child needs to be quarrentined. Not because they are super spreaders or in any danger, but they are vectors for spreading for sure.
In my view, not cooperating with testing is a slippery slope. Especially after what we've seen in NY. We need to be transparent, and have testing to show we care for the greater good.

pause

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:58 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Standard medical practice when there is a pandemic is to test the population. A positive result means the child needs to be quarrentined. Not because they are super spreaders or in any danger, but they are vectors for spreading for sure.
In my view, not cooperating with testing is a slippery slope. Especially after what we've seen in NY. We need to be transparent, and have testing to show we care for the greater good.

Ha. The irony. How about we start with transparent government?

Has Cuomo or De Blasio shown us any new numbers for the red zones in the last 2-3 weeks? Have you seen any data for the division of red/orange/yellow zones other than zip codes which the zones are NOT divided by?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics