Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why do frum women say cross my fingers? or even do it?
Previous  1  2

singleagain

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 9:20 pm
Why do origins matter so much.... Time changes the meaning of things.

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Oct 31 2020, 9:31 pm
Did you know that a six-paneled door is meant to represent a tzeilem and an open bible? Some people who buy houses that have them spend money to replace them!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:15 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Did you know that a six-paneled door is meant to represent a tzeilem and an open bible? Some people who buy houses that have them spend money to replace them!
I had to google 6 paneled door because I didn't know they had a name. Why would it represent that? If it was 4 panels then it would look like a cross.

shirachadasha

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:19 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Consider yourself lucky.

You didn't add a 4 leaf clover.

liveandlove.ima

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:05 am
singleagain wrote:
Why do origins matter so much.... Time changes the meaning of things.

just like the usage of N word, although its been years since slavery and Black people themselves often use it, it is still not okay to say. time can fade off the original meaning but it can't erase it.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 1:25 am
The English Oh Em Gee to represent Oh My G-d can be compared to the yiddish oy mein gut, or gut in himmel, etc. I don't see how it's a problem.

But finger crossing is icky. The hands emoji also bothered me until I learned Chabad put their hands together like that for modeh ani.

Good Friend

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 3:08 am
youngishbear wrote:
The English Oh Em Gee to represent Oh My G-d can be compared to the yiddish oy mein gut, or gut in himmel, etc. I don't see how it's a problem.

But finger crossing is icky. The hands emoji also bothered me until I learned Chabad put their hands together like that for modeh ani.

Actually although we put our hands together we turn out hands a little to the side, specifically so it won't be like that symbol of prayer. (Chabad)

yonabets

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 3:31 am
Reality wrote:
I'm not going to argue with you. I'm just saying how I see it used. And it isn't used to say an offhand thank you.

It's used for both ! I got it for thank you and for a" prayer"

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 3:32 am
Who says the hands belong to the same person?

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 5:36 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
I had to google 6 paneled door because I didn't know they had a name. Why would it represent that? If it was 4 panels then it would look like a cross.

Quote:
What does a 6 panel door represent?
The 6 panel door originated in the 1700s as an expression of Xian faith. The top 4 panels represent the cross, the bottom 2 panels represent an open bible.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 6:52 pm
completely different from that X emoji -- not only do we tilt to the right side but our hands are not held palm to palm but rather one on top of the other, like curl your left hand into a half circle fingers pointing down and then put your right hand over it both palms down -- Chabad

cbsp

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 7:03 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
What does a 6 panel door represent?
The 6 panel door originated in the 1700s as an expression of Xian faith. The top 4 panels represent the cross, the bottom 2 panels represent an open bible.

FWIW, there are other sites that question this theory

https://historymyths.wordpress.....oors/

The back and forth in the comments is interesting.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics