Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Quoting OP
1  2  Next

Do you quote?
Every time I post a response to someone else's post (ie almost always)  
 42%  [ 23 ]
I think hard before quoting (ie rarely)  
 57%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 54

imanotmommy

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:21 pm
I notice that a lot of people like to quote the original post when responding to it, even if they are only the send post in the topic. I would think that the purpose of quoting is either to indicate what you are responding to (which isn't the case here, since what else would you be responding to?) or to point out a specific part of the quote (which is usually not what they are doing).
So, I ask, for what purposes do you consider it useful to use the quote function?
I ask out of interest, but also because it is sometimes annoying to scroll through a long post two times because the next post quotes the entire thing. Even if you are the third or fourth post, but answering the original question, it's usually pretty obvious as long as the thread is still on topic.
(Now I'll wait for a super funny person to quote this entire post before their response.)
Oh, and one more thing, just in case you want more options: If you want to quote only a piece of someone's post, then for a short post it works find to bold that part. For a long post, you can delete the parts that you don't need, within the quote, after clicking the quote button.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:22 pm
Yes, it really bothers me. Please don’t quote if you are the first to respond on a thread.

pause

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:26 pm
Sometimes I know my post will be long and detailed and will take me time to type up and submit. I've had it happen that in the meantime a full page of posts was filled up, and my response got lost in the shuffle of the ensuing conversation. By quoting the OP, I feel safer knowing that it's clear to all who read it that my post is directed solely at the OP and her question, and not to any other posters or tangents that came after.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:31 pm
I often do this when the OP’s post is long and I want to make sure I’m not forgetting what’s in there and responding appropriately etc. I guess right before I post I could just delete the OP’s part...

silverlining3

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:31 pm
A first post I don't understand. But when it's a more than 1 page already or the 1st few posters are quoting each others, and I wanna reply direct to the original post, I quote the op.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 12:51 am
When a post is a mile long I try not to quote it even if it’s 3 pages in. I usually don’t quote op when (I think) I’m first to answer but pretty often I find I’m fourth by the time I submit.🤷‍♀️

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 2:37 am
I usually quote in order to highlight the specific passages to which I am referring in my response.

Also, if I think someone else will post while I am composing my message, I like to quote so it is clear to whom I am responding.

moonstone

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 3:11 am
I find it very annoying when people quote the entire OP, no matter how long it is. There are a few people that always do that, even if they're the first to respond! There's really no need to do that.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 6:38 am
imanotmommy wrote:
I notice that a lot of people like to quote the original post when responding to it, even if they are only the send post in the topic. I would think that the purpose of quoting is either to indicate what you are responding to (which isn't the case here, since what else would you be responding to?) or to point out a specific part of the quote (which is usually not what they are doing).
So, I ask, for what purposes do you consider it useful to use the quote function?
I ask out of interest, but also because it is sometimes annoying to scroll through a long post two times because the next post quotes the entire thing. Even if you are the third or fourth post, but answering the original question, it's usually pretty obvious as long as the thread is still on topic.
(Now I'll wait for a super funny person to quote this entire post before their response.)
Oh, and one more thing, just in case you want more options: If you want to quote only a piece of someone's post, then for a short post it works find to bold that part. For a long post, you can delete the parts that you don't need, within the quote, after clicking the quote button.

Like what I just did 🤪

Frumme

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 6:39 am
There was a thread about this a few months back... It was pretty interesting. I can try to find it later.

moonstone wrote:
I find it very annoying when people quote the entire OP, no matter how long it is. There are a few people that always do that, even if they're the first to respond! There's really no need to do that.

Not even when the OP deletes their original post? You're not even the least bit curious as to what they wrote? Laugh Wink

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 7:00 am
delete

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 05 2020, 2:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 8:17 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Like what I just did 🤪

I assume you're referring to Zaq. So her post should have been quoted.
And I still quote even if I'm immediately after someone because someone else could have hit send in the middle.
Just quote but snip the salient point. Or at least bold what you're commenting on.

We are a generation that has now got used to scrolling
d
o
w
n

through inches if not feet of photos and commentary to get to a recipe. I'm ok with quoting posts as long as they're snipped/bolded.

And OP, welcome!

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 8:46 am
ITA with you OP. I quote when I'm replying pretty far down the road, and then usually only the passage that I'm addressing.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 8:50 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I assume you're referring to Zaq.

That was moonstone! LOL I recently copied her IDF avatar, but after confusing her posts for mine a few times too many I changed my avatar to the Israel Ministry of Tourism logo.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 8:53 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
When a post is a mile long I try not to quote it

When a post is a mile long and has no paragraph breaks, I try not to read it.

imanotmommy

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 9:04 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
And OP, welcome!

Thank you!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 9:14 pm
zaq wrote:
That was moonstone! LOL I recently copied her IDF avatar, but after confusing her posts for mine a few times too many I changed my avatar to the Israel Ministry of Tourism logo.

Yup, forgot about your avatar change.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 11:33 pm
And I thought people do it so that if OP later deletes her post, you still see what she wrote. I always thought that was strange to do. It makes the whole thread longer.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 11:43 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I often do this when the OP’s post is long and I want to make sure I’m not forgetting what’s in there and responding appropriately etc. I guess right before I post I could just delete the OP’s part...

This would generally be my reason as well. So I can easily reference the OP while writing a response to make sure I'm not getting details wrong. I think I try to delete their post before submitting but it's possible I forget.

I have also at least once (maybe more?) copied a few of OP's posts into a single response for clarity when it's been one of those crazy threads where the OP starts out with one story, and then relevant details start emerging later, or the OP starts contradicting themselves, or something like that.

Teomima

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 12:38 am
I don't quote when responding to the OP, unless I'm highlighting a specific bit. I think any response on a thread should, by default, be considered a response to the OP. I will, however, quote sometimes when I'm responding to someone else's post in a thread.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette