Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
ISO Bukharian Shabbat Dishes

funkyfrummom

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 8:48 pm
Looking for recipes that are authentically Bukharian. Long ago had these as a guest...

1) Instead of challah, there was a fried bread (similar to what I would call "Indian Fry Bread")

2) A very green rice dish/plav (don't remember what herb/spice made it green)

3) Stuffed Grape Leaves (beef-rice filling, cooked with carrots, chickpeas, onion, tomato paste(?), need to know what that specific spice is that is used in all the meat dishes that gives the distinctive flavor

Can anyone help with any of the above with an authentic recipe?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 8:55 pm
Plov is made with Basmati white rice, finely diced onion, finely diced veal or meat, oil, cumin, lots of cilantro, and salt.
My friend also makes Osov instead of cholent.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:00 pm
Here's a recipe for I think it's called Baksh?

https://betweencarpools.com/ad.....beef/

funkyfrummom

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:01 pm
Ty, ra-mom... I must have been tasting the cumin, but visually it was so green! Do you know where I might find a recipe for it? I have googled plav, and see numerous ones (yes, I can make a pilaf... same idea, different name) but I never found one that had the lots of cilantro to make it green. I am wondering if it has a specific name... best I recall, the hostess called it "green plav."

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:02 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Here's a recipe for I think it's called Baksh?

https://betweencarpools.com/ad.....beef/

I tried this and it was nothing like what my friend makes.Sad

avrahamama

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:03 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I tried this and it was nothing like what my friend makes.Sad

Thanks for sharing. I think sauteeing the veg and greens and meat is key.

funkyfrummom

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:06 pm
@avrahamama ty - that looks like it might be it. Hers didn't have a lot of meat, it may have had very small bits for flavor (I know the family had to stretch dollars), but I think the rice part of that looks right on.

hodeez

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:11 pm
For bachsh you would cut up cilantro, onion, meat, and mix with rice. Season with salt and pepper. Stuff in a muslin bag, pack it tight and tie it, then cook it in a pot of water for about 4 hours

saltandvinegar

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:20 pm
We make our bacsh with cilantro, dill and parsley. Every family, region makes it differently. We also do not put cumin in it. We only put cumin in polau qabali (the carrot polov)

funkyfrummom

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:36 pm
@lemondrop, that might explain why the color looks a bit different than what I remember.... it was white rice and then a very bright green, and if there were bits of things (onion... meat, they were tiny because I don't remember them)

Could you share amount/portions of cilantro, dill, parsley that you use?

saltandvinegar

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 10:26 pm
funkyfrummom wrote:
@lemondrop, that might explain why the color looks a bit different than what I remember.... it was white rice and then a very bright green, and if there were bits of things (onion... meat, they were tiny because I don't remember them)

Could you share amount/portions of cilantro, dill, parsley that you use?

We use basmasti rice, but I know some people use short grain rice. You let it soak in the sink while youre prepping the rest...

If im doing 4 cups of basmati rice, ill do a full 2 bunches of cilantro, 2 bunches of parsley, 2 bunches of dill. It really gets ground down to nothing.

You can get it pre checked and then I put it in my immersion blender because I dont have the patience to chop it so fine.

Everything goes into the immersion blender: the onions (you dont want them mushy, just diced very small) and a big tomato.

Saute my onions with my spices, add in my diced tomato (not everyone does this, the region where my family is from does it), saute my chicken pieces (we do chicken, my family doesnt like lamb) add in my blended herbs. Then I drain my rice, mix it it very well with my meat/veggie mixture. cook it on medium high for about ten minutes until it steams, lower it to low and put a paper towel on top of the rice so it doesnt get soggy and cook for maybe an hour and a bit

hodeez

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 10:30 pm
lemondrop wrote:
We use basmasti rice, but I know some people use short grain rice. You let it soak in the sink while youre prepping the rest...

If im doing 4 cups of basmati rice, ill do a full 2 bunches of cilantro, 2 bunches of parsley, 2 bunches of dill. It really gets ground down to nothing.

You can get it pre checked and then I put it in my immersion blender because I dont have the patience to chop it so fine.

Everything goes into the immersion blender: the onions (you dont want them mushy, just diced very small) and a big tomato.

Saute my onions with my spices, add in my diced tomato (not everyone does this, the region where my family is from does it), saute my chicken pieces (we do chicken, my family doesnt like lamb) add in my blended herbs. Then I drain my rice, mix it it very well with my meat/veggie mixture. cook it on medium high for about ten minutes until it steams, lower it to low and put a paper towel on top of the rice so it doesnt get soggy and cook for maybe an hour and a bit

So interesting I've never heard of adding tomato to the mix! What region are you from?

saltandvinegar

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 10:41 pm
hodeez wrote:
So interesting I've never heard of adding tomato to the mix! What region are you from?

Dont want to give myself away because we're quite a small community but you could dm me Smile

LO

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 2:35 pm
Does anyone have a recipe for the bread OP was asking about? My husband has been requesting that as well... Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus