Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
At what age do you switch to a booster seat? (NY)
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 9:41 am
For those who don't have space to fit three carseats across, what age is the youngest that you'd switch a child to a booster seat?

What about in the case of non-necessity, but simply that the child would be more comfortable?

When is a carseat considered "outgrown" in terms of leg space?

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 10:13 am
How does a forward facing seat become outgrown vis a vis leg space? I switch to a booster at around 6. I have narrow forward facing car seats that don't take up more width than a booster.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 10:22 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
How does a forward facing seat become outgrown vis a vis leg space? I switch to a booster at around 6. I have narrow forward facing car seats that don't take up more width than a booster.

I meant when the legs are long enough to be significantly outside the seat.

You keep your kids in a five-point harness until six years old?

What if I already have carseats that are not narrow?

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 10:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

How are legs more outside the seat in a car seat than a booster? It's the same fit in front. In my experience with younger kids in a booster (in lots of my carpools) they just aren't able to sit safely. They're constantly moving the belt wherever is most comfortable and leaning all over the place while I'm driving. Even mature kids. I got cheap narrow seats so it wasn't a huge expense. I save my bulky ones for babies and toddlers who are more picky about needing a throne to sit on Wink

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 10:48 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
How are legs more outside the seat in a car seat than a booster? It's the same fit in front. In my experience with younger kids in a booster (in lots of my carpools) they just aren't able to sit safely. They're constantly moving the belt wherever is most comfortable and leaning all over the place while I'm driving. Even mature kids. I got cheap narrow seats so it wasn't a huge expense. I save my bulky ones for babies and toddlers who are more picky about needing a throne to sit on Wink

Which seat do you have?

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 11:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My kids are in 5 point harness carseats till 6 years old.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:04 pm
Boosters are worse in a three across a lot of times because then you have to squeeze your hand in between the seats.

GetReal

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:12 pm
I’m considering switching my eight year old now.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:39 pm
GetReal wrote:
I’m considering switching my eight year old now.

Your 8 year old sat in a car seat until now??

mom24.7

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:40 pm
Booster is 4 yrs old and or 40 pounds.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 10:29 am
You need to go by the height and weight recommendations, not just by age. A very petite child can easily need to wait much longer for a booster, and then use the booster much longer than other kids.

My DD was pretty tiny, and she loved the booster because she could see out the window better. She stayed in it much longer than her peers, but she didn't care. (B'H she never got wild in the car, or tried to escape her harness.)

She's 17 and only 5'1", so now she needs a booster in order to drive a car! Very Happy

GetReal

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 4:27 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Your 8 year old sat in a car seat until now??

Yes. She fits the height and weight limits and it’s so much safer so why not. But now I think it’s time because with another car seat in the back the third kid has a very narrow spot left to sit.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 4:35 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
You need to go by the height and weight recommendations, not just by age. A very petite child can easily need to wait much longer for a booster, and then use the booster much longer than other kids.

My DD was pretty tiny, and she loved the booster because she could see out the window better. She stayed in it much longer than her peers, but she didn't care. (B'H she never got wild in the car, or tried to escape her harness.)

She's 17 and only 5'1", so now she needs a booster in order to drive a car! Very Happy

My kids are in the 80-85ish percentile in both height and weight, so age is immaterial in that sense.

The thing is, the carseat says it works until 120 pounds. It's a 4-in-1 or something to that effect, so I can't figure out the weight limits for the 5-point harness specifically vs. the convertible booster.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 4:36 pm
mom24.7 wrote:
Booster is 4 yrs old and or 40 pounds.

See, that's what I always thought, but it looks like the Imas here are saying otherwise!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 4:40 pm
I switched my now 12 and 10 yr olds when they were 3 because I needed their car seat for a younger sibling.
And my now 8 and 5 year old when they turned 4.
My younger ones are still in car seats..

crossroad

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 4:53 pm
I usually switch at 3.5

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 4:58 pm
crossroad wrote:
I usually switch at 3.5

Okay, so I'm not such a nutcase. I'll leave DS in a carseat for now, but if I need the space, I'm going to switch.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 5:02 pm
Weight is obviously important, but I think age is important with regards to maturity. You have to sit nicely in a booster seat.

My older children moved to high-backed boosters at around 4 or 4 and 1/2. But my petite son who is currently 5 and 1/2 is still in a 5 point harness because he’s under 40 pounds. Once he weighs enough I will probably convert his seat to a booster.

My 2 year old will probably hit 40 pounds before age 4, but I don’t think I’ll switch him that soon. I’ll need to trust that he’ll sit responsibly.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 5:04 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Weight is obviously important, but I think age is important with regards to maturity. You have to sit nicely in a booster seat.

My older children moved to high-backed boosters at around 4 or 4 and 1/2. But my petite son who is currently 5 and 1/2 is still in a 5 point harness because he’s under 40 pounds. Once he weighs enough I will probably convert his seat to a booster.

My 2 year old will probably hit 40 pounds before age 4, but I don’t think I’ll switch him that soon. I’ll need to trust that he’ll sit responsibly.

DS is pretty mature, so I'm not worried about him sitting nicely. My next child is a little less responsible, so I'll wait and see.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 5:10 pm
It’s about age, size and maturity.

Age is a matter your child’s bones development.

Size is a matter of the the seat belt Hitting the correct places on your child’s body.

Maturity is about your child sitting properly for the duration of the car ride.

Here’s an article that explains in detailed https://csftl.org/harness-or-booster/

Don’t switch your child just for your convenience. In the event of an accident c”v it can be dangerous.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics