Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
At what age do you switch to a booster seat? (NY)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 8:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DS is pretty mature, so I'm not worried about him sitting nicely. My next child is a little less responsible, so I'll wait and see.

My four year old (girl) sits very nicely in her booster seat, she has never once had a thought to squirm around. But she’s a careful kind of kid. She’s just so proud to be “big” and out of a car seat.

It’s very convenient because she can open the seat belt herself, she totally gets herself out of the van at our destinations. And she never opens it until I stop.

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 8:25 pm
I put by 3.2 year old in a booster seat and then he opened his seatbelt when driving. So back into a carseat for a few more months. I could really use his car seat for my fat 10 month old already. O well. My 3 year old is on the skinnier side and taller side. My son who is almost 5 is quite big and hasn't sat in a car seat for a while. I probably switched him at 4 years old.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 9:22 pm
My 3.5 year old is still rear facing and I'm not switching to forward facing any time soon. My 9 year old is in a high back booster and my 10 year old is in a backless booster. They are short and the buckle doesn't hit in the right place without the boosters. They were both switched from a car seat to booster around age 6 or 7 I think.

HeartyAppetite

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 9:58 pm
I just switched my 4 year old to a high back booster seat.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 10:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I meant when the legs are long enough to be significantly outside the seat.

You keep your kids in a five-point harness until six years old?

What if I already have carseats that are not narrow?
my 6 year old sits in the Diono radian, it’s very comfortable and takes up very little space. It’s also a lot easier for him to buckle himself! Especially with 3 across- it will be very difficult for a child (or you!) to buckle themselves. He does not buckle the bottom piece unless we’re going somewhere far. So it’s 4 pt. Harness instead of 5.

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 10:51 pm
Maybe I'm crazy, but my kids switched around age 4.5. I need them to be able to buckle/unbuckle themselves, which they can't do in a 5 point harness. Also, full carseat is too difficult for carpool purposes. My backless boosters are rated for 30 pounds. My second grader weighs only 38 pounds; would you have him in a full carseat if you were me?

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 11:10 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
my 6 year old sits in the Diono radian, it’s very comfortable and takes up very little space. It’s also a lot easier for him to buckle himself! Especially with 3 across- it will be very difficult for a child (or you!) to buckle themselves. He does not buckle the bottom piece unless we’re going somewhere far. So it’s 4 pt. Harness instead of 5.

What does this mean? He only closes the chest piece but doesn’t buckle the part that looks like a seat belt that goes between the legs? It’s not meant to be used that way, and it’s potentially dangerous. He could CH”V get strangled if his body gets pushed forward out the bottom in an accident.

There have been reports of babies getting strangled with just the top piece closed and the bottom open.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 11:22 pm
I switched my DS at the age of 4.

I would not keep an 8 year old in a 5 point harness carseat. It's socially embarrassing and seems unnecessary.

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 11:33 pm
Interesting, I just switched my six year old and she had an easier time managing the five point harness independently than the seat belt with the booster. It takes her longer and she needs help sometimes.

chocolatecake

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 11:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
See, that's what I always thought, but it looks like the Imas here are saying otherwise!

It is definitely 4 years. Most boosters start at 40 pounds but you can find some highback boosters that start at 30 lbs.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:12 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
What does this mean? He only closes the chest piece but doesn’t buckle the part that looks like a seat belt that goes between the legs? It’s not meant to be used that way, and it’s potentially dangerous. He could CH”V get strangled if his body gets pushed forward out the bottom in an accident.

There have been reports of babies getting strangled with just the top piece closed and the bottom open.
It sounds unsafe, maybe that poster can clarify.

I switch out of the car seat at age 4 regardless of weight. I use a high backed booster so I feel comfortable safety wise.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:26 am
How can my 6 year old get pushed out the bottom of a 4 point harness? There are straps over his Shoulders and then under his arms, why between the legs too?( I’m not talking about a baby) how is a regular standard seatbelt (like high back booster) any safer??

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:24 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
How can my 6 year old get pushed out the bottom of a 4 point harness? There are straps over his Shoulders and then under his arms, why between the legs too?( I’m not talking about a baby) how is a regular standard seatbelt (like high back booster) any safer??

In crash tests, the plastic chest piece often opens or breaks. It’s not made to stand up to crash forces. It’s there to keep the shoulder straps in the right position. It’s the crotch buckle that holds all the straps on and is essential in a crash.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:24 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

The chest clip ensures that the should straps are in the correct position during an accident. They often break in an accident but that doesn’t mean they didn’t do their job. If you don’t use them then the shoulder traps can’t do their job during an Accident. Which is the whole
Point of a car seat. Protecting our children during an accident.

To the poster who says she moves her kids to a booster for carpool regardless of their readiness for it: If you can’t safely fit car seat children in a carpool than you don’t have room for them or maybe you have too many.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:26 am
https://csftl.org/chest-clip-myths-busted/

See number one for example

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:27 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
In crash tests, the plastic chest piece often opens or breaks. It’s not made to stand up to crash forces. It’s there to keep the shoulder straps in the right position. It’s the crotch buckle that holds all the straps on and is essential in a crash.

Both are essential in an accident. Without the chest clip a child’s torso can be propelled forward during an accident

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:32 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

It’s easier to not have to buckle any kids.

He may as well be in the car with no car seat or seat belt. You are wasting your money on a car seat and his time buckling the chest clip. There’s no point in using a car seat this way.

This is extremely dangerous.

Statistically most accidents happen on short drives close to home.

It’s not a 4 point harness it’s misuse of something that can save his life.

[Personal attack removed]

princessleah

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:26 am
OP, this is the site I use for all my car seat questions.

https://thecarseatlady.com/

It is written by a pediatrician who spends her time researching car seats. There’s even a section on finding the narrowest seats to fit 3 across.

It’s incredibly helpful

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:44 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
It’s easier to not have to buckle any kids.

He may as well be in the car with no car seat or seat belt. You are wasting your money on a car seat and his time buckling the chest clip. There’s no point in using a car seat this way.

This is extremely dangerous.

Statistically most accidents happen on short drives close to home.

It’s not a 4 point harness it’s misuse of something that can save his life.

You’re entire point went over my head because you couldn’t figure out a nice way to get your point across.

GetReal

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 2:20 pm
OP the best thing is to find the manual. They’re usually available online and they’ll tell you when this booster is okay weight wise. Keep in mind that that’s a minimum age, and safety wise it may be a good idea to keep them in a car seat a little longer. Probably not until eight Smile

Seafoam - as a mom I try to weigh all the factors, including social embarrassment and safety. Thankfully my dd is fine.

Ivory - I’m sorry you felt attacked. I feel like we all learn new things all the time. I googled about the crotch strap and chest clip just now. It’s good to know more about keeping our kids safe.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics