Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Segula parnassa put challah on table before חצות ערב שבת ?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 2:32 pm
Is this true? is there something about putting the challah on the table before chatzos?

Cmon be nice

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 2:44 pm
That I don't know but I believe you're supposed to hsve chala on the table while benching

clowny

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:24 pm
Never heard of this segula.
We put it on table a few minutes before shabbos, otherwise table is muktzah because of the candles.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 11:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is this true? is there something about putting the challah on the table before chatzos?

Why not survey the richest people you know to see if they do this?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 3:26 pm
clowny wrote:
We put it on table a few minutes before shabbos, otherwise table is muktzah because of the candles.

I don‘t understand. The candles are muktza. You cannot move the candles nor move the table as long as the candles are on it. OK.
But how does putting chala on a table is changing anything?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 3:53 pm
clowny wrote:
The table is not muktza on shabbat, only the candles are, so we were always taught to put something not muktza, like a spoon, on the candle tray.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 3:55 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
The table is not muktza on shabbat, only the candles are, so we were always taught to put something not muktza, like a spoon, on the candle tray.
why? what would it change?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 4:01 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
If you put something that is not muktza on the candle tray it makes the tray become not muktza and then you are able to move the tray with the candles on it, if needed. If not, then the tray is considered muktza and cant be moved. But the table that the candle tray was on would not be considered muktza.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 7:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I have only heard of a segulah for making challah on Friday (really for hafrashas challah), when we received a double portion of manna in the wilderness. To have it already on the table by chatzos is pushing it; I don't get up that early.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 7:08 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Why not survey the richest people you know to see if they do this?

Good point. I guess it's not true.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 8:55 pm
I have my challos in the oven from before the zman, then only put on the table before kiddish so we can have hot challah

I heard having the table set before Chatzos is a segula for good son in laws

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 8:58 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I have my challos in the oven from before the zman, then only put on the table before kiddish so we can have hot challah

Same. As far as the licht being muktza I keep my siddur on the tray. Didn’t hear about the good sons in law.
Let’s do a survey if those who have good sons in law also set their tables before chatzos...

realsilver

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 9:11 pm
If you want stale challah!
Maybe it’s setting the table before chatzos?

Ellie7

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 9:14 pm
I don’t light on the table and am not going to pasken but I believe the item you put on the tray so that you can move it on Shabbos has to be valuable/more valuable than the candles. This is why some people put their engagement rings on it.

miami85

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 9:19 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:

regarding the table it has to do with the laws of "basis" and if you put a "dvar mitzva" such as a challah then it doesn't make into a basis.

My question is if I would put my challos on my table before chatzos, how do I keep my kids from attacking the challah?

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 9:19 pm
Ellie7 wrote:
I don’t light on the table and am not going to pasken but I believe the item you put on the tray so that you can move it on Shabbos has to be valuable/more valuable than the candles. This is why some people put their engagement rings on it.

Yes, this. Either higher monetary value, or devarim shebikedushah such as a Siddur or Chumash, or challah/food which is considered more important for your Shabbos than the candles and therefore never muktzah. There may be other categories of items too, these are the ones I remember.

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 9:20 pm

Wow I never heard of this but for many years when my children were growing up I set the table by Thursday (sometimes even as early as Tuesday) so I could be ready in time for Shabbos. My son-in-law of almost 10 years ka"h is spectacular beyond my wildest dreams. My sons joke that he turned them into the black sheep of the family lol. I wonder if there really is a connection...

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 10:13 pm

We used to do that for years with the challa until one time dh said it needs to be on the table before. So we warm it up before the zman and before the 18 minutes one of my kids put it on the table .

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:31 am
It's a segula, maybe, for feeling calm about Shabbos coming in, and not being rushed later. But one can be very calm and orderly and for whatever reason do it closer to candle lighting, and that's ok too.

clowny

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:10 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

We learnt and hold differently. The candles are muktzah and nothing can undo that. The only time you can undo the muktzah is when something becomes muktzah because of something. For example- table becomes muktzah because of the candles, a drawer becomes muktzah if there’s a pen or scissors in there. Putting something more valuable on the table or in the drawer allows you to open the drawer, use and/or move the table.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics