Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Segulas you tried that did not work?
Previous  1  2  3

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:26 am
We talk about things "working." Look, tefilla doesn't always work according to our script. But no tefilla goes to waste. Hashem has plan for them. And most important, all tefilla strengthens our bond with Hashem.

That's the thing about segulos. What do they do for us? Does my participation in a challah segula help someone get their yeshua? I don't know. But the tefillos I say for them after I take challah do help, and they know that people care about them. This is a great thing.

Last night Rabbi Reisman touched on this re pesel Micha, in a greater discussion of nichush and kochos hatuma. He mentioned tzedada scams and guarantees, and how sad that some scam artists will make guarantees. Such discouragement and disillusionment when they don't work.

ThisMom

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 3:34 am
I know this is old but just wanted to give the insight that segulahs do not have koach in themselves. The translation would be better off as “self development tool”. If they were used as self development tools, taking from the action what it’s meant to teach us, it would transform us into a better cli for receiving the yeshuah we’re asking for.

For ex: Reading tehillim is a “segulah” in that if you LEARN it as you daven, and work on implementing the concepts in tehillim that discuss how we should interact with Hashem, etc, then we end up changed as a person and more ra’ui for the thing.

Doing a segulah like it’s magic is really not a Jewish thing.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics