Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Unique and meaningful names that can pass In a chareidi
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 7:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please suggestions! I don't know what we're having yet but I want to make lists.

Honestly I don't care too much for pleasing society with names but DH grew up yeshivish and many of the more DL names I guess like Emunah or Shachar or Ori he doesn't like. I think he wants to fit in and doesn't want to seem DL or be associated as that.

I don't really care as we don't fully fit in to chareidi society but I also do believe hashkkfafically names need to have a proper source and not everything can be a name. I haven't asked my rav but that's the general idea I'm getting.

Pls send me unique and meaningful names that won't look super weird in chareidi neighborhood.

Does your family name babies after departed close relatives?

shaynala

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 7:53 pm
I am obsessed with Avigail...
I named my daughter that Smile
I believe it means, My Father (Hashem) should bring us joy- I think it's like a bakasha....
I also like unique names...I think this is unique but totally accepted everywhere...

PeanutMama

Post Sat, Dec 12 2020, 7:57 pm
My sons name is Betzalel Avrohom.

(In the shade of g-d of Avrohom)

Perfect for babies who had a scary birth or was born early or the mother had a hard pregnancy with plenty of scares in it

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 4:03 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Does your family name babies after departed close relatives?

Yeah but I want t actually like the names. I don't want to name names. I don't like to please others.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 4:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yeah but I want t actually like the names. I don't want to name names. I don't like to please others.

Pleasing others is pretty much the definition of Charedi. Unique and Charedi don't really go together.

Good luck!

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 4:13 am
Libi
Akiva
Hillel
Emanuel
Ori as short to oriel

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 4:14 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Pleasing others is pretty much the definition of Charedi. Unique and Charedi don't really go together.

Good luck!

I walk on the edge of the line.

You don't really have a choice here. You are either Dati or Chareidi. There's no just plain frum.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 4:37 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

Good luck!

No need to be nasty and stereotyped!

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 4:47 am
OP:
Do you not like any of the names posted so far?

People have taken the time to respond with lots of names so far.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 4:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Did I mention anywhere in my question that you have to choose a name in order to please others???
I just asked if in your family you give names after dear departed family members?
Of course do not give a name that you don't like - you'll feel resentment every time you call the child by that name.
Anyway, the parents are blessed with Ruach HaKodesh when choosing a name. I bolded the word - parents, b/c only the parents get R"HK, not the grandparents, great grands, Aunts, Uncles....
Now is someone gonna answer hurtful and nasty b.c I mentioned the parents get Ruach HaKodesh???

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 4:58 am
Quote:
[quote="amother [ Navy ]"I bolded the word - parents, b/c only the parents get R"HK, not the grandparents, great grands, Aunts, Uncles....
[/quote]

Slightly off topic: My parents did not give me a Hebrew name. I went to a shiur by Rebbetzin Jungreis at Hineini once, and she was talking about ruach ha kodesh and names. After the class, I went up to her and told her I didn't have a Hebrew name, but I wanted one. She held my hands for a minute, closed her eyes, and then told me what my name was.

She was a very special person, and I think she was able to access that ruach, so I do think that there are rare exceptions.

I happen to really like the name Ruchama, if that helps. (Not my name, but I think it's pretty.)

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 4:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I walk on the edge of the line.

You don't really have a choice here. You are either Dati or Chareidi. There's no just plain frum.

True. But no matter if you're Dati or Chareidi, you can be a mentsch, be nice, and not say hurtful remarks about other communities!!!

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 5:04 am
Our son is called Dan (with a second name), after the Shevet. Born in Elul, so was Dan ben Yaakov. Connection to the positive aspect of Yemei haDin and the words of Rachel when she named Dan. Added second name to 'soften' the judgment aspect.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 5:05 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
OP:
Do you not like any of the names posted so far?

People have taken the time to respond with lots of names so far.

I like a lot of them! Another issue is DH wants our kids to fit in everywhere. Naama is more common in Israel but unheard of in the US - what if child at age 30 wants to move back?

He also thinks Naama, Itamar, Noa such names are really weird and rare since he hasn't been in Israel too long. He thinks they are pretty but he wants all his American friends to not look at us weirdly for these names.

He wants to be safer and not set the kid up for issues. Personally I have a unique name and I've been through lotttts in my life and none of it had anything to do with my name. Most people I know who were bullied had regular plain names as well. But DH just wants the kids to be set up and fit in anywhere.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 5:14 am
[quote="FranticFrummie"]
Quote:
Slightly off topic: My parents did not give me a Hebrew name. I went to a shiur by Rebbetzin Jungreis at Hineini once, and she was talking about ruach ha kodesh and names. After the class, I went up to her and told her I didn't have a Hebrew name, but I wanted one. She held my hands for a minute, closed her eyes, and then told me what my name was.

She was a very special person, and I think she was able to access that ruach, so I do think that there are rare exceptions.

I happen to really like the name Ruchama, if that helps. (Not my name, but I think it's pretty.)

That was after your parents had named you already.
Yes, there are exceptions where parents sometimes go to a holy person eg. their Rav /Rabbi to choose a name for their newborn. Most times, the parents have a list of 1-3 names they already chose, and ask the Rabbi which name they should use. The Rabbi gives his blessing to the name/child who will own that name at the same time. Sometimes the Rabbi will add a name to the name chosen by the parents.
Please don't misread my words - I don't mean to say that this occurs in every community.
And yes, Rebbetzin Esther Jungreis, a"h, was a very unique and holy woman.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 5:20 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Our son is called Dan (with a second name), after the Shevet. Born in Elul, so was Dan ben Yaakov. Connection to the positive aspect of Yemei haDin and the words of Rachel when she named Dan. Added second name to 'soften' the judgment aspect.

That's beautiful. May you and yours have a lot of nachas from him, be"H.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 5:20 am
Don't worry about American names. CVS your child should want to leave Israel!

In America, you have to be politically correct, and accept everyone's name without batting an eyelash.

Shaneequa, Mohammad, and Starchild-Rainbow are all equally accepted. Never be ashamed of having a holy name of your Jewish people.

My name has a chet in it, that confuses non Jews at first. They get used to it if I repeat it for them a few times.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 5:48 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Don't worry about American names. CVS your child should want to leave Israel!

In America, you have to be politically correct, and accept everyone's name without batting an eyelash.

Shaneequa, Mohammad, and Starchild-Rainbow are all equally accepted. Never be ashamed of having a holy name of your Jewish people.

My name has a chet in it, that confuses non Jews at first. They get used to it if I repeat it for them a few times.

Not talking about the secular world - if he goes to an American Yeshiva in Israel or goes to America he doesn't want other frum kids in the yeshivish world to look at him strangely. Like Itamar, Kehos, Avner etc.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 6:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not talking about the secular world - if he goes to an American Yeshiva in Israel or goes to America he doesn't want other frum kids in the yeshivish world to look at him strangely. Like Itamar, Kehos, Avner etc.

I don't know how to phrase this as gently as I'd like to, but please know that I am speaking from a place of kindness.

It sounds like your husband has issues with having changed his lifestyle and feels very insecure about fitting in. That's the issue here, not what to name a child.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 6:39 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I don't know how to phrase this as gently as I'd like to, but please know that I am speaking from a place of kindness.

It sounds like your husband has issues with having changed his lifestyle and feels very insecure about fitting in. That's the issue here, not what to name a child.

I don't think so. I think he wants to set up the baby for success. Dovid and Avraham work no matter where you live or where you go. He doesn't want the kid to feel weird or get bullied.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names