Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How many houses did you look at?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 9:43 am
How many houses did you look at in person before you bought your home?

busy mommy

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 9:47 am
Is this a poll or just what did I do?
I was in a time crunch so I am not typical. I saw about five houses before deciding on my home. I am thrilled with my choice and don't think I could have done better had I continued looking.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 9:47 am
5 or 6. I live OOT and there are limited jewish areas. I looked at every single house on the market at the time. Not too many lol.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 9:49 am
I think it was 4. We knew the market. As soon as we heard of the best deal for this size we grabbed it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 9:55 am
busy mommy wrote:
Is this a poll or just what did I do?
I was in a time crunch so I am not typical. I saw about five houses before deciding on my home. I am thrilled with my choice and don't think I could have done better had I continued looking.

Just trying to get an idea what’s the average

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:04 am
Maybe 25-30? We looked for about 8 months. In the beginning we weren't as serious, just trying to figure out what we liked. Also DH is very picky.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:07 am
I must have seen around 20. We kind of had enough money to buy, but the houses in my area are small (KGH) so I wanted to fall in love with a house. Finally, we did. B”H.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:16 am
Over thirty over a few years looked for a year than stopped when I saw my house I knew I wanted it right away it was more expensive than planned

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:19 am
We were young and stupid but Bh it worked out. We bought the first condo we went to look at.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:25 am
one

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:32 am

The first house was no way Jose. It was in perfect condition, really beautiful, and the agent tried hard to push me on how nice it was. But it did not have features I wanted (like a master bathroom, and an eat-in-kitchen) and I'm so glad I didn't get swayed by the looks.

The second house had great features, and great possibilities. But it absolutely needed quite a bit of work, and the owner wanted max $$ for it, and we just let it go.

When we saw our house I knew it was right. It wasn't stunning, but it was livable as-is with no major work needed immediately. The layout had what we wanted. B"H it has worked for us. It was in a different neighborhood that we hadn't been targeting (not even sure why), but B"H we are very happy here.

Bsimcha

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:35 am
Bought twice in different cities.
First time, we looked at around 10, there were more options, we also looked at different ideas, condo, townhouse, single and duplex. We spent time analyzing, took about 3 years.
Second was in much smaller market, only looked at single family and limited blocks, I think we saw 5, all within 2 days and made a decision.
Both decisions were good for us.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:38 am
Honestly don't know exact count. I would say approx 30. We looked for 3 years. In a very specific area. Did look in a few different areas also but our preference was with one. We weren't in a rush because we started looking when our first child was born. even through eventually we did outgrow our apt and was unhappy in that place. In the end we ended up building a home. We did try to purchase 2 houses from the ones we saw but for various reasons we didn't get them which was bashert. Sometimes it's quick. Sometimes it takes a while.

tichellady

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:55 am
So many. Hard market where I live. Wrote many offers that were rejected.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:08 pm
0. I didn't even see mine before signing the contract 😂

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:10 pm

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:13 pm
My dad liked a house on the block totally off market, and wrote them (non Jewish owners)a letter about how much he loves their house and the way they maintain it, and if they are ever interested in selling they can contact him. ( he was a homeowner and not particularly looking to move at that time).

A good few years later, while my parents were seriously searching to upgrade their home, and going through a couple of disappointments ( checked out 20 homes or so) they received a call from that homeowner who kept the letter and was interested in offering to him, before putting it on the market.

The rest is history! It’s a fantastic house. 50 x100 lot in Brooklyn, private house, fully detached, driveway etc...

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:35 pm
Bought twice looked at one house the first time and built new the second time so just so picked a lot.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 5:12 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
My dad liked a house on the block totally off market, and wrote them (non Jewish owners)a letter about how much he loves their house and the way they maintain it, and if they are ever interested in selling they can contact him. ( he was a homeowner and not particularly looking to move at that time).

A good few years later, while my parents were seriously searching to upgrade their home, and going through a couple of disappointments ( checked out 20 homes or so) they received a call from that homeowner who kept the letter and was interested in offering to him, before putting it on the market.

The rest is history! It’s a fantastic house. 50 x100 lot in Brooklyn, private house, fully detached, driveway etc...

I thought you’d say in Toms River

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 5:33 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I thought you’d say in Toms River

I know that in Toms River people were being really nasty and rude about knocking into people’s houses to try and buy it.

This was not at all the case. It was a very nice letter, complimenting their house etc. they were actually quite touched.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics