Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What is your definition of a "mini skirt?"
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:54 am
I find it odd that a minority of women on this site judge another woman's observance, or that of her husband, based on how she dresses.

I see those women judging another as being OTD because she wears "mini skirts."

I don't often see any woman wearing a super short mini skirt, Jewish or not. Tiny mini skirts for everyday attire aren't even in style now.

I feel like these few judgemental women are calling any skirt at or slightly above the knee a mini skirt and based on that skirt length, deciding that the wearer and her family are no longer religious.

That seems ridiculous.

No, I don't wear any definition of mini skirts.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I find it odd that a minority of women on this site judge another woman's observance, or that of her husband, based on how she dresses.

I don't often see any woman wearing a super short mini skirt, Jewish or not. Tiny mini skirts for everyday attire aren't even in style now.

I feel like these few judgemental women are calling any skirt at or slightly above the knee a mini skirt and based on that skirt length, deciding that the wearer and her family are no longer religious.

That seems ridiculous.

Of course its ridiculous, but there are people with a very narrow definition of what frum is to them and they can not see out of that definition.
To me it is both ridiculous and very sad. Beign frum means different things to different people. And clothing have very little, and sometimes nothing, to actually do with that.

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 5:02 am
I'd say a mini skirt is something around 7" or 8" above the top of the knee or shorter (for an adult female).

I'd be surprised if there is a frum community in which that is the norm, but I am willing to be corrected if I am wrong.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 7:20 am
above your knee like that you sit down and you need to make sure no one sees your underwear.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 7:25 am
I’d say mid-thigh, in my broader community, this is pretty much acceptable among young women and teens. I do not approve of this skirt length for myself or daughters, or is difficult since many of their friends or role models dress this way.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That seems ridiculous.

I was going to immediately react by linking to the old Nair commercial (Who wears short shorts....If you dare wear short shorts/Nair for short shorts).

What baffles a lot of women is that in their milieu, when they were in school, they were taught that knees needed to be covered. Not four inches etc., just cover the knees. Sit down when you try on the skirt, bend over like you'd be bending over a desk (skirts often rise above the back of the knee), etc.

Then fifteenish years ago shorter skirts came into vogue but women who had this chinuch would cover up with a pashmina when sitting. Then, somehow black tights became the cover. Now people don't even try.

But I don't judge frumkeit based on this shift because unfortunately it's pervasive. It's disappointing and enough to make me grow cynical, and you know that's big. A wise friend told me that she tells her (not necessarily yeshivish but went through the system and are with the program) boys that when you date, don't measure tznius by the skirt length, that won't work, but if a top is too tight and it bothers you, that's a better sign. (NOT that they're ogling the girls, please don't go there, these young men are gentlemen.)

amother
Green

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:48 am
My DD and her friends wear skirts that come to mid thigh. I call those mini skirts.
Halfway between top of leg and knee.
(No, I do not approve. She is over 18, I have no say in what she wears)

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:22 am
Mini skirt to me is a skirt that’s way too short like 5-10 inches above the knee
I personally always found it distasteful, even in my non Jewish days.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:24 am
I was the OP of the thread where I mentioned mini skirts in my OP. I was referring to skirts that are halfway down the thigh or shorter. About 7-8” above the knee.
Skirts that barely cover or are right above the knee are not mini.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:27 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
My DD and her friends wear skirts that come to mid thigh. I call those mini skirts.
Halfway between top of leg and knee.
(No, I do not approve. She is over 18, I have no say in what she wears)
Mid thigh is what I was referring to as well. Maybe that’s not technically called mini skirts. In most communities though that length isn’t accepted.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:29 am
Postage stamp

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:34 am
Any skirt a inch or two above the knees to me mean a mini skirt.

I don't judge anyone but that's just how I see it.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:54 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Any skirt a inch or two above the knees to me mean a mini skirt.

I don't judge anyone but that's just how I see it.

A skirt that is an inch to 2 inches above the knee is a knee length skirt. Your community may hold that knee length skirts are not halachically acceptable. That's fine. But that doesn't transform them into "mini skirts," any more than not eating beef transforms a kosher burger into treyf. Words have meanings.

A mini skirt falls midthigh (or higher).

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:03 pm
Anything above the knee and up to me is a miniskirt.
Sorry, it's the way I've always thought of it.
Knee length should hit the knees. Now I know why I suck at online shopping.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:06 pm
To me a mini skirt is a skirt that covers just the behind, which I don't think is acceptable in any frum community.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:15 pm
I would say a real mini-skirt would be mid thigh or shorter (world-at-large)
But when I read the original thread mentioned here, I assumed the poster considered "mini" to mean above the knee when standing. To me that's a frum definition of a mini. In my mind, hitting the knee when standing is "just just."

I don't think the OP of that thread was being judgey, they were just asking the question. We DO evaluate people's observance by their outward dress and appearance. Honestly, I didn't realize that anyone here thinks Jews don't.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:32 pm
Knee length - below knees or on the knee so that a bit of knee shows while standing. Anything where the full knee shows when standing is mini. While I don’t approve or disapprove anything this is the fact when you shop online. Knee length skirts will always cover my knee or show just a bit and will never fully expose my knee (average height)

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:40 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Knee length - below knees or on the knee so that a bit of knee shows while standing. Anything where the full knee shows when standing is mini. While I don’t approve or disapprove anything this is the fact when you shop online. Knee length skirts will always cover my knee or show just a bit and will never fully expose my knee (average height)

That's not only not "a fact," its false.

Knee length is at, or just above, the knee. Not below. Perhaps you're short.

http://www.sizecharter.com/fas.....ngths

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:45 pm
Like others said it means mid thigh about. Not just an inch or 2 above the knee.

Ive seen it lately in my community (paired with black tights usually) and was surprised since aside for that these women are dressing more conservatively (elbows covered, neckline...) but I don't judge because what do I know about their life and their struggles.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:48 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
A skirt that is an inch to 2 inches above the knee is a knee length skirt. Your community may hold that knee length skirts are not halachically acceptable. That's fine. But that doesn't transform them into "mini skirts," any more than not eating beef transforms a kosher burger into treyf. Words have meanings.

A mini skirt falls midthigh (or higher).

I hear. I know that's not the secular interpretation of the word but anything that's above the knee is showing ervah and therefore a mini skirt in my eyes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics