Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
For the 700th time
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 2:01 pm
I didn't read through 5 pages so forgive me if it's been answered but could there be some cross reactivity so that people who have had coronavirus are less likely to catch the flu, even if they are exposed to it?
A lot of people are taking immune supplements such as quercetin. Could that reduce the flu?
What about all of this hand sanitizer and household disinfectant products?
Air cleaners and ventilation?
Fewer commonly handled objects?

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 2:01 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I think since there is more SD/quarantining, less travel, fewer large events, more quarantining for COVID like symptoms (which could be cold, flu, other virus?!?!?!?, other infection, etc.), fewer actual flu cases are circulating. If someone is sick with flu, they have fewer opportunities to go about and if they are quarantining because it might be covid, they are also not going out and about as much.

Also, there was a quicker bigger push for flu vaccine this year--even doctors who often say wait until later (ie november, not september) in the season so it lasts all season, were saying they wanted patients to get it ASAP before a second COVID wave. (ie. Dr. Glatt)

I think flu is actually less contagious than COVID, slightly. But enough that the covid measures make a meaningful impact on flu transmission as well.

I think it's interesting to see how some things may greatly reduce rate of transmission in communal settings, specifically I mean work and school, and maybe some of those measures can be used going forward in cold/flu season to minimize kids/teachers out sick, employees, etc out sick. There may be some that with little to no adjustment/stress can be game changers.

But then the follow up question would be, why is covid circulating with such gusto and flu is not? If you read through Amother Orange's posts, she shares some very interesting info on this topic regarding masks and droplet size/aerosolized virus, which could explain this discrepancy.

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 2:03 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I didn't read through 5 pages so forgive me if it's been answered but could there be some cross reactivity so that people who have had coronavirus are less likely to catch the flu, even if they are exposed to it?
A lot of people are taking immune supplements such as quercetin. Could that reduce the flu?

I love your first question. Such an interesting thought. Who knows!!

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 2:03 pm
gold21 wrote:
But then the follow up question would be, why is covid circulating with such gusto and flu is not? If you read through Amother Orange's posts, she shares some very interesting info on this topic regarding masks and droplet size/aerosolized virus, which could explain this discrepancy.

Because they're not testing for it! Simple as that.

When I called my local doctor for a flu test, the person answering the phone said "we're not giving flu tests because there's no flu going around right now" Scratching Head .

Circular reasoning if I ever saw it.

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 2:05 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

When I called my local doctor for a flu test, the person answering the phone said "we're not giving flu tests because there's no flu going around right now" Scratching Head .

Lol!!!

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 2:21 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
You (and some others here) really need to study virology before posting such questions. I'm running off to work now, so I can't give you a detailed response, but I can give you a good place to start.

Start reading about viral transmissions, the difference between contact, droplet & airborne precautions. The next place to move on to is the differences between the contagions. How and why some are more contagious than others. Then read up on the differences between stomach viruses,, respiratory viruses and other forms of viruses.

I'll try to get back on here later this evening. But I wish people would stop trying to cast doubt on everything about CV with their false interpretations based on their limited knowledge of science.

And it's also advisable to read up on the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Here's a direct link to that:
https://www.psychologytoday.co.....ffect

For those who can't access it - here's the highlight of it:

"The Dunning-Kruger effect has been found in domains ranging from logical reasoning to emotional intelligence, financial knowledge, and firearm safety. And the effect isn't spotted only among incompetent individuals; most people have weak points where the bias can take hold. It also applies to people with a seemingly solid knowledge base: Individuals rating as high as the 80th percentile for a skill have still been found to overestimate their ability to some degree.

This tendency may occur because gaining a small amount of knowledge in an area about which one was previously ignorant can make people feel as though they’re suddenly virtual experts. Only after continuing to explore a topic do they realize how extensive it is and how much they still have to master."

I'm wondering if it's possible that you're suffering from Dunning-Kruger effect with regards to reading comprehension and knowledge of how to interact with other people respectfully. Just a possibility.

You sound like the high school teachers who yelled at you for having questions. Discussion is healthy. Consider this- the way we treat others is more important than anything else we accomplish in our lifetimes. Have a great evening.

Last edited by gold21 on Tue, Dec 22 2020, 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 2:25 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

I have to disagree. We're not testing for flu for the most part, because we're not seeing patients that present with flu symptoms (were not really testing for covid here either -I work in pediatrics and most kids will be asymptomatic. Covid is not really going around where I work anyway).

We have tested and have positive flus here and there. But nothing like usual. When flu season hits, we can spot it a mile away. Kids with high fevers , congestion, coughing, looking miserable, etc.

devo1982

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 4:06 pm
Here you go- the CDC data says that it's abnormally low thus far but could still get worse, but there is some flu circulating. Perhaps, B"H, we've gotten lucky and this year's flu is nowhere near as virulent as some of the strains of COVID currently circulating. Perhaps it's just lurking and waiting to whammy us. Perhaps because of increased flu vaccination rates, people are less affected this year. Perhaps people aren't bothering to go get tested for the flu either because they're more concerned about having COVID, or they don't want to go to the hassle, or clinics near them aren't giving over resources to the flu this year because they're focused on COVID.

Last February, just before COVID took off in a big way here, I had the flu. They asked me about my symptoms and told me to consider that I had the flu because the nasal swab wasn't super beneficial to do. Perhaps others are being told the same this year.

gamanit

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 5:06 pm
southernbubby wrote:

Highly unlikely. They're not similar at all. I do know someone who had the flu recently and the doctors originally didn't want to test him. They said just assume it's covid- we haven't seen flu recently. He insisted on a test and it was positive. It certainly makes sense that if they're not looking for it they don't see it as much...

There's a lot we just don't know yet and won't know for years to come.

number

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 6:50 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Didnt they say last year that the flu shot would help prevent severe Covid cases? Was that debunked? I can’t keep up.

Honestly though there are so many conspiracy theories that are actually plausible,
possible, even likely. Why are we wasting our time arguing over whether covid exists? This reminds me of those mothers that insist there’s no such thing as sids and they don’t need to take any precautions.

number

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 6:58 pm
Okay who is hugging every post on the thread? Please identify yourself. I’m happy to chat with you. Spamming the thread with hugs is cowardly.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:15 pm
gold21 wrote:

I think I answered that as have others.

short layman's answer: flu is not as communicable/contagious as covid. So, covid controls do a good job minimizing flu too...probably an even better job than for covid itself.

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:22 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I think I answered that as have others.

short layman's answer: flu is not as communicable/contagious as covid. So, covid controls do a good job minimizing flu too...probably an even better job than for covid itself.

I pointed out that the question had already been answered, by Amother Orange. Did I not?

As I understand it, it's not simply that flu is more contagious, but that the way it travels is better suited to being prevented by mask-wearing.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:24 pm
gold21 wrote:
I pointed out that the question had already been answered, by Amother Orange. Did I not?

As I understand it, it's not simply that flu is more contagious, but that the way it travels is better suited to being prevented by mask-wearing.

I think I said all those things so I don't know why you bothered responded/questioning/arguing with what I said to begin with.

I guess we're in violent agreement.

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:25 pm
number wrote:
Okay who is hugging every post on the thread? Please identify yourself. I’m happy to chat with you. Spamming the thread with hugs is cowardly.

More than being cowardly, it's also kind of nebach to sit on a website all day hugging posts. Lol. (Cue the hugs. Cool )

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:28 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I think I said all those things so I don't know why you bothered responded/questioning/arguing with what I said to begin with.

I guess we're in violent agreement.

I argued with your post? Can you point out where I did? Interesting. I was being friendly in responding.

I think if everyone tried to chill out a little, it would help the energy on this site a lot.

Is "violent agreement" the new "friendly discussion"?

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:39 pm
There are times that I find this site more overwhelmed by negativity than others. If women feel that they can't engage with each other in a friendly discussion, and that there always has to be some sort of agenda, by all means, carry on, but count me out. Discussion can include more fact-sharing and less assumption of negative intent. I know this site is an outlet for many women, and I'm glad for that, but it may be my time to bid you guys farewell for a bit. (I usually do return!)

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:46 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Flu vaccine were also much more prevalent this year. My family never takes them but this year it was non-optional. Same for most people I know. I imagine the number of people vaccinated as in comparison to the past is also impacted the prevalence.

Yup. My daughter and I took it although we never do.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:54 pm
number wrote:
Didnt they say last year that the flu shot would help prevent severe Covid cases? Was that debunked? I can’t keep up.

Honestly though there are so many conspiracy theories that are actually plausible,
possible, even likely. Why are we wasting our time arguing over whether covid exists? This reminds me of those mothers that insist there’s no such thing as sids and they don’t need to take any precautions.

One theory was that being vaccinated for anything revved up the immune system and a revved up immune system is better suited to fight covid. Kids are always getting vaccinated and were not getting as sick from coronavirus. Of course, I don't know if anyone still believes that.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:56 pm
gold21 wrote:
There are times that I find this site more overwhelmed by negativity than others. If women feel that they can't engage with each other in a friendly discussion, and that there always has to be some sort of agenda, by all means, carry on, but count me out. Discussion can include more fact-sharing and less assumption of negative intent. I know this site is an outlet for many women, and I'm glad for that, but it may be my time to bid you guys farewell for a bit. (I usually do return!)

You should always discuss it with me 🤠 and leave the negative people out of the discussion.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics