Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
For the 700th time
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 4:12 pm
gold21 wrote:
How much has uptake of the vaccine increased and how much has prevalence of flu infection this season decreased? Throw in the fact that around half of flu shots fail (40 to 60 percent are effective), and still, the numbers are off.

I wouldn't attribute much to the notoriously fallible flu vaccine. Adults usually don't catch the flu anyway, but younger kids often get the flu even after vaccination.

As for your last paragraph- if that's the case, then why is covid spreading like wildfire?

One is an influenza virus and one is a coronavirus, so they're definitely distinct from one another and not interchangeable. But I think an analysis of this would require a bit more digging and a little less of accepting face-value explanations.

One hypothesis? When one virus strain is virulently circulating, it dominates the virus competition and leaves other viruses at a deficit.

Anyone have any others?

Covid spreads more easily than the flu, can spread even in asymptomatic cases, and has a longer incubation time than the flu. That's why it is tricky to stop unless people are really vigilant about preventive measures like SD and masks.

As for your hypothesis: As far as I know, flu and covid viruses can operate independently of one another. It makes more sense to me that flu cases are down compared to last year at this time because of all the masking and SDing and self-isolating and working from home.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 4:23 pm
BH my family has barely gotten a cold since covid started! I'm sure colds are still around just spreading less rapidly for the above reasons.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 4:40 pm
bananas4bananas wrote:
Less rampant thanks to social distancing, the same way it was last winter

Cute one. What social distancing?

I guess flu is now called covid.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 4:42 pm
flowerpower wrote:

Not everyone lives where you live. Many people are actually... Social distancing.

Don't people test for covid? You think when they have flu it comes up as a positive covid test? Why would anyone want to call flu covid when the qurantine and rules for covid are so much more complicated than flu?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:09 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Not everyone lives where you live. Many people are actually... Social distancing.

Don't people test for covid? You think when they have flu it comes up as a positive covid test? Why would anyone want to call flu covid when the qurantine and rules for covid are so much more complicated than flu?

I am talking about where there is minimal social distancing. Kids go to school and people go to simchas. Where is the flu in those areas?!!!

Covid picks up many different viruses in their rapids as positive so......

Last edited by flowerpower on Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

elsily

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:13 pm
flowerpower wrote:

I do think they spray something in the air that people should actually get the flu. I’m serious.

This is one of the most outrageous things I’ve ever heard!!! Can't Believe It

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:15 pm
Sometimes its it's just not worth wasting the time arguing or explaining things to people.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:32 pm
gold21 wrote:
The flu shot isn't that effective. Google it

All hail the great, ineffable Dr Google.

Java

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:33 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:

Not worthy Not worthy

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:35 pm
flowerpower wrote:

I invite you to our ICU to see what covid is. And our two, bursting at the seams covid floors.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:37 pm
I invite you to our ICU to see what covid is. And our two, bursting at the seams covid floors.

I said people that have the flu think they have covid.... too. Maybe that explains why there are suddenly so few cases

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:45 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I said people that have the flu think they have covid.... too. Maybe that explains why there are suddenly so few cases

There is a dual swab. Flu would be noted.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But if Covid numbers go up, like they’re saying it is not so high, the flu numbers should go up as well.

Not at all.
The flu is not NEARLY as contagious as covid.
Covid is airborne transmission.
The precautions like basic mask wearing, 6 feet apart work beautifully to stop flu transmission, and not well enough to stop covid transmission.

gold21

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 6:02 pm

That is literally the dumbest comment lol, no offense, but what

Obviously, use Google to find reputable sources.

Maybe you would understand it better if I said it this way: Do some research on it.

Btw, I'm glad you went anon to share that pearl of wisdom (which would easily identify you if stated under your own name Confused )

gold21

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 6:05 pm
bananas4bananas wrote:
Not worthy Not worthy

Er... I guess you're poking fun at the CDC, which is the website from which I quoted regarding the flu vaccine

Does the truth bug or you what wondering

Or do you distrust the CDC Covid-19

Java

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 6:07 pm
gold21 wrote:
Er... I guess you're poking fun at the CDC, which is the website from which I quoted regarding the flu vaccine

Does the truth bug or you what wondering

Or do you distrust the CDC Covid-19

Way to overthink things

gold21

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 6:09 pm
bananas4bananas wrote:
Way to overthink things

No, you seemed to be agreeing with that Anonymous person's comment.

At least you aren't Anon.

gold21

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 6:09 pm
This is WebMD's take, for what it's worth:

Sept. 2, 2020 -- Every year since 2010, the CDC has urged almost all Americans over 6 months old to get a flu shot. And every year we fall far short -- just half of us got vaccinated during the 2018-19 season. One reason: Some people believe the shot just doesn’t work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Because flu viruses mutate constantly and the vaccine wears off over time, you can’t get vaccinated once and expect to be covered for years, as you can with other diseases. The vaccine must be changed each year, in hopes of matching the ever-mutating viruses. And that’s been a challenge.

On average, it’s been 40% effective, meaning it’s prevented illness 40% of the time. Since health officials started tracking it in 2003, effectiveness has varied from year to year, ranging from a low of 10% in 2004-05 to a high of 60% in 2010-11.

Java

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 6:10 pm
gold21 wrote:
No, you seemed to be agreeing with that Anonymous person's comment.

At least you aren't Anon.

I don't really agree or disagree, the emoji just seemed appropriate

gold21

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 6:10 pm
bananas4bananas wrote:
I don't really agree or disagree, the emoji just seemed appropriate

Oh.... lol

OK
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics