Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Functional kitchen help

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 8:08 pm
Redoing my kitchen, Id love input on what are things to include/ consider to make the most out of the space? Make it super functional?
TIA

lamplighter

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 8:15 pm
As many drawers as possible.
Big sinks.
pantry that is shallow or has pull outs.
as many outlets as you can.

thanks

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:57 pm
Counter depth fridge and freezer if you have the space.

voiceofreason

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 5:20 am
Some people like a faucet over the stove for filling large soup pots.

I like outlets in convenient places, so you can use your blender/mixer in easy spots.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 10:27 am
Double sinks look nice but can be problematic. If they share one pipe, one can back up into the next. And you'd want a divider so no splashing. And given your space, one larger one (with racks and bins) can be more practical than a side by side.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 11:14 am
Get a good kitchen designer.
Some kitchens today are horrible.
My friend you have to walk around an island to get to her fridge. It’s like going on a trip anytime you need an ingredient.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 7:56 pm
What I love in my kitchen is a deep pantry with pull out shelves. Other smart upgrades are a four door fridge/freezer- the bottom in the freezer but one side can be set to be more fridge space. A spice drawer is nice too.
It really all boils down to how much space you have?
Where do you live?
Some kitchen places have in house designers who can be very helpful

Malkqueen

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 8:07 pm
If you are putting in an island, make sure to put an outlet on the island.

Lighting under the cabinets make the counter (work area) much brighter and easier to work on!

I prefer faucets with two handles (for hot/cold) because otherwise its very easy to turn on the hot water by mistake on shabbos.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 8:36 pm
I just did this.
My advice: Unless you have unlimited funds and unlimited space make a list of the most important things for YOU in the kitchen and see how much of it you can manage.
My fridge is on the other side of the kitchen from my fleishig side but I wanted the fleishig side to be longer and having the fridge near the entrance and eating area was more important to me because kids or guests can grab a fruit or drink and not interfere with me trying to cook.
something important to me was not having people underfoot while I cook.
A pot filler wasnt a big deal but an automatic hot water heater at the sink was.
I dont have a counter near my fridge, I have to walk a few inches to the island to put stuff down. Its a little annoying but I preferred the continuous counter space.
Think about your lifestyle, do u bake? do u entertain? do other pp cook aside for you? Do you eat a lot of milchigs?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen