Home

More supper ideas!! Cheap AND leave in your oven

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 9:30 pm
ok, here's another one...

I used to throw out/give my cleaning lady the one or two pieces of Shabbos chicken left over (usually chicken on the bone in some sauce)
Then I said, hey, maybe I can store it in the freezer and use as one my "leave in the oven" suppers.
So I just did that...

I took the one or two pieces that were left, I labeled in a 9 by 13 with a lid.....then the following week I added two more pieces....I had 4.5 chicken bottoms total...
I left it in my oven today with baked potatoes wrapped in foil....
and I had a great supper!! (some of my kids came home from school with virus, so it didn't get totally eaten, but it smelled amaaaaaaaaaaazing....and I'm not feeling guilty dumping what's left at this point!!!)
I don't even know which combo....I think it was bbq chicken plus duck sauce chicken? the chicken was golden when I took it out....
I left it on 325 for 1.5 hours while I was at work....

I already started my next pan.....
even if I don't use it for a supper, I'll use it to as a soup base for a fresh vegetable-barley soup....

Ok, please add some more ideas!!
Back to top

mom!




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 10:19 pm
Following.
Back to top

ChutzPAh




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 10:46 pm
Do you only work very part time or are you leaving chicken in the oven all day after it cooks for the hour or two?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 10:56 pm
ChutzPAh wrote:
Do you only work very part time or are you leaving chicken in the oven all day after it cooks for the hour or two?


My oven has a delay start button...
so I set it to go off at 4:20 when my first school bus arrives....it automatically clicks on 1.5 hrs before, or whenever I set it.
I feel like a super woman!!
it's like, wow, I feel like such a hero, and then I'm like, nebach, I can't believe I'm at the stage of life where I feel like a hero for setting my oven timer....what happened to all my grand plans to change the world????
Back to top

Imax5




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:15 pm
I assume it’s frozen when you put it in the oven?

I use those leftover pieces for chicken soup or barley soup.

Minestrone soup from leftover veggies and meat/chicken plus a can of diced tomatoes and a can of beans.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:19 pm
Imax5 wrote:
I assume it’s frozen when you put it in the oven?

I use those leftover pieces for chicken soup or barley soup.

Minestrone soup from leftover veggies and meat/chicken plus a can of diced tomatoes and a can of beans.

Yeah, I take it out of the freezer in the morning and put it straight into the oven....
I love this idea!!
I wonder if my kids would eat the beans in the soup (they are very picky, I put in zucchini to my latest batch of barley soup and unfortunately I will need to leave it out next time...)
but I love this idea of taking leftover chicken/meat and starting a vegetable soup with it!!!
any ideas what I should do with leftover spaghetti and meatballs?
I guess I can always freeze for a different time...just not always so helpful, 1 container of meatballs isn't enough anyways....
Back to top

andrea levy




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yeah, I take it out of the freezer in the morning and put it straight into the oven....
I love this idea!!
I wonder if my kids would eat the beans in the soup (they are very picky, I put in zucchini to my latest batch of barley soup and unfortunately I will need to leave it out next time...)
but I love this idea of taking leftover chicken/meat and starting a vegetable soup with it!!!
any ideas what I should do with leftover spaghetti and meatballs?
I guess I can always freeze for a different time...just not always so helpful, 1 container of meatballs isn't enough anyways....


Purée the veg before you add the beans. They won’t know. Or purée the beans too if you think they won’t eat.
Back to top

queene




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:57 pm
any ideas what I should do with leftover spaghetti and meatballs?
I guess I can always freeze for a different time...just not always so helpful, 1 container of meatballs isn't enough anyways....[/quote]

Warm up the meatballs and then chop the meat and put into tacos.
Back to top

baby12x




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 6:08 am
Here are different ideas you can do with leftover chicken
I like to make chicken for shabbos and then use it for different suppers all week- cheap, easy and filling

https://adimesaved.com/easy-le.....cipes
Back to top

mom!




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:48 am
Small quantities of leftover meatballs are helpful for either a very picky kid one night or when there are Shabbos leftovers but it’s just a bit tight.
Back to top

amother




Orchid
 

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 9:33 am
baby12x wrote:
Here are different ideas you can do with leftover chicken
I like to make chicken for shabbos and then use it for different suppers all week- cheap, easy and filling

https://adimesaved.com/easy-le.....cipes


Thanks! This was extremely helpful.
Back to top

Imax5




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 9:55 am
Chicken fried rice with leftover soup chicken is a favorite over here. When it's mostly cooked, push the chicken/veggies/rice to the side and scramble an egg then mix it in to up the protein if you're light on chicken and it make it more interesting. (Or freeze the chicken from one week and add to another week's to increase the meat. Fried rice is better with old rice than fresh, so great way to reuse leftover rice.) But not exactly a leave in your oven recipe -- cooks really fast if you use leftovers and leave in fridge to defrost before going to work, though.

Chicken pot pie is a yom tov special -- I'll make the chicken soup with a whole chicken to be decadent and then take out the breast meat before it cooks to death to make into a pot pie. Especially for Succot. I suppose you could prep and freeze then leave in the oven to turn on later but I'd say not worth the risk of it being overdone or going bad given all the work. Pie crust or puff pastry is more sensitive to being overcooked than baked chicken...

We have a honey baked lentils recipe (similar to this https://www.food.com/recipe/ho.....58598 but not exactly, and I make with at minimum a full pound of lentils) that's great with whole rice and people can mix in leftover meat or chicken if they prefer. Can def leave in the oven to cook -- nothing to go bad besides the onion and you can skip that if you're worried.
Back to top

Imax5




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 10:24 am
Do crock pot recipes count? Whole chicken in crock pot with potatoes and carrots and onions and spices is a really easy one. (And leftovers work for fried rice...) If you leave the skin on, you get a really decadent sauce at the bottom to make gravy with or use for rice or ptitim.
Back to top

amother




Sapphire
 

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 10:57 am
I did a funny thing on Chanukah...I had leftover mashed potatoes, so I added an egg and fried latkes with them! They could have used flour since they came out a little crumbly, but I was so proud of myself for being resourceful with a leftover that normally gets trashed.
Back to top

Imax5




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 11:14 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I did a funny thing on Chanukah...I had leftover mashed potatoes, so I added an egg and fried latkes with them! They could have used flour since they came out a little crumbly, but I was so proud of myself for being resourceful with a leftover that normally gets trashed.

Great idea! My grandmother used to make mashed potato pancakes on purpose. Kremslach, I think she called them?
Back to top

amother




Teal
 

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 11:17 am
Imax5 wrote:
Great idea! My grandmother used to make mashed potato pancakes on purpose. Kremslach, I think she called them?


Yes! Add some fried onions and a few bread crumbs for binding. You can also defrost frozen chopped spinach and mix that in.
Back to top

baby12x




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 2:28 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Thanks! This was extremely helpful.


My pleasure! I want to help people. That's why I write😀
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 2:31 pm
wow, I love that mashed potato idea!!
I always feel so good about myself when I manage to do something like that....
not sure if the few dollars I save make a difference to the bottom line, but it feels so good to not be wasteful and to be resourceful!!
what do you all think? does being resourceful with food really help with the bottom line?
or is the difference minimal?
Back to top

amother




Black
 

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 4:40 pm
Being resourceful with food is a HUGE mitzvah - avoiding the aveira of Bal Tashchis.

It teaches children to really value what they have.

I think it's so good for character-building, considering how there's so much waste in the world we live in today.

My grandmother would NEVER have thrown out the leftovers that I do. She'd be so mad at me if she saw what I chuck. Crying embarrassed

I think this thread is WONDERFUL. I'm inspired.
Back to top

baby12x




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 4:55 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Being resourceful with food is a HUGE mitzvah - avoiding the aveira of Bal Tashchis.

It teaches children to really value what they have.

I think it's so good for character-building, considering how there's so much waste in the world we live in today.

My grandmother would NEVER have thrown out the leftovers that I do. She'd be so mad at me if she saw what I chuck. Crying embarrassed

I think this thread is WONDERFUL. I'm inspired.



All of this!

And the few dollars you save doesn't make a difference but getting into the habit of making things last, of not wasting, of making do will save you lots of money over your lifetime.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Gift for 6yo boy with broken arm-what to get? (small cheap)
by amother
6 Yesterday at 10:19 am View last post
Help! Desperate for ideas!!!
by amother
5 Wed, Feb 24 2021, 9:37 pm View last post
Iso Yummy tasting travel food, packaged for oven heating. NY
by amother
3 Wed, Feb 24 2021, 5:08 am View last post
Need interesting food ideas
by amother
2 Tue, Feb 23 2021, 11:42 pm View last post
Dear guest: It’s time to leave
by amother
79 Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:35 am View last post