Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Siyum for Bar Mitzvah Boy

haleyaskins

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 4:05 am
If your son learned something/made a siyum for his bar mitzvah, I’m curious:

1–What did he learn/make a siyum on?
2–who did he learn with?
3–How long in advance did you start?
4–if you did it again, would you have him learn something different?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 5:32 am
Regular mishnayos that he was already planning with his father. Nothing in advance, just part of regular learning routine.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 6:40 am
Gemara Sukkos. He learned with my husband during covid and it worked well because they were both home more. They started after Shavuos and finished on Sukkos.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 6:49 am
My oldest made a siyum only on Mishnayos Moed. My next one did on 3 sedarim of Mishanayos, which was a combination of what he learned in school, camp, with his father, etc. I think he secretly wanted to finish Shas Mishnayos for his Bar Mitzvah, but we didn't push it. Maybe we shoudl have, but by the time we realized it was too late. He is now older and BH has made many siyumim since. He is also determined that my 11 year old son (we had girls in between these two boys) make a siyum on all mishnayos so he is started learning with his younger brother last year. BH my 11 year old loves to learn and this has been great for his relationship with his older brother.

sky

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 6:59 am
My son is learning mishnayos - Moed- now to try to make a siyum for his bar mitzvah.
There is a phone line called mishna rishona. You give your bar mitzvah date and they tell you what you can finish. It is automated. He calls in and learns on the phone.
He started during corona when bored and hoped to finish for his bar mitzvah. He has been doing it for 9 months now
He might not finish in time. But regardless it’s been a huge accomplishment and we’ve made many mini siyumim along the way.

http://www.mishnarishona.com/M.....a.pdf

It’s not a requirement for a bar mitzvah my older son didn’t and that was fine.
Sometimes I wonder if it’s an added pressure and too much on top learning hilchos tefillin, pshetl, and Leining.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 11:07 am
My boys each did a seder but it wasn't their first seder... But we didn't push all shisha like many relatives accomplished because they already had other learning obligations and we saw no need to make up a goal. One leined everything, one leined nothing. They both learned hikchos tefillin in 7th grade and their bar mitzvos were after, so no added pressure there. BH both felt accomplished and relaxed.

gingleale

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 11:18 am
My son did a siyum mishnayos on Seder Moed for his bar mitzvah. One of my daughters did the same for her bat mitzvah and my other daughter is currently learning mishnayos seder Nezikin for her bat mitzvah. All three kids learn with DH on Shabbos afternoon. The older ones took about 1-2 years to learn the seder. We started the youngest right after her older sister's bat mitzvah so she has about 3 years to finish and it is much more enjoyable for her.

greenteam

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 12:23 pm
Just so you know. Agudas yisroel has a program called kesser mishnayos. Where you take tests and get a sefer for each seder finished. A Shas for learning the whole thing. And you sit up front by the pirchei siyum mishnayos. You call the main office
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics