Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
Whats up with WhatsApp?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 10:42 am
But signal you need to make your default texting app prior to using- not like having a texting inbox and watsap separately....
ANY IDEAS?
also I do not see all the features advertised just texting. Did I download the worng signal app???

nanny24/7

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 10:52 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
But signal you need to make your default texting app prior to using- not like having a texting inbox and watsap separately....
ANY IDEAS?
also I do not see all the features advertised just texting. Did I download the worng signal app???

You can text and / or voice note.
What other features are you looking for?
Making it your default texting up is completely optional. You can opt "no" to that at any time in settings.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 10:57 am
ohmygosh wrote:
There are different levels of sharing/keeping info. You cant compare this site to WhatsApp sharing your info with Facebook.

Most people that are on WhatsApp, is also on Facebook, and posting every time they hang out with their friends, tagging them, telling them where you are.. The best defense you can have from modern technology is to stop sharing. The thing you're agreeing to here is the merging of information. for me when I heard that WhatsApp was purchased by Facebook, it was assumed that it'll share information from both parties.
Again, if you're on google, Facebook, instagram, WhatsApp. you're already giving them personal information. When you click on links, you tell them where you shop. etc. (if not fb, then google) Limit your online profile, if you don't want them to have info. Yelling gevald, while going online is kinda funny.

tp3

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:03 am
ohmygosh wrote:
I haven't deleted WhatsApp yet. I did download Signal. The more the word gets out about Signal, the more people will join.

Same

Zehava

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:05 am
ANY IDEAS?

Nope
I use it for one friend who is a tech geek and paranoid. It’s not my default texting app

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:13 am
Ok ty. How do I know which contacts have signal or not? All contacts come up in the list. I try to send message and then it says enable sms messages- assuming that means they do not have signal. Is there a way to figure out who does and who does not?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:22 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Every site has some censorship. You can't yell fire in a crowded theater, and you can't incite violence online. Yael may also have your IP address. Welcome to modern tech. Any time you give a company your phone number, they use it for advertising. They're not taking information off your phone. They're taking information you have already been giving. them. Its good to protect yourself if you're private, but really the only thing you can do is go offline altogether.

I had to have my location on to check in with a job but then I forgot to turn it off and went into a random store. Next thing I know, my phone send me a message asking me about my experience at the store (they knew exactly which store I was in). That is beyond intrusion and invasion of privacy. Who gave them the right to track me and then message me about it? That is not the same as Yael who only tracks her website so its not comparable.
As for inciting violence, there are plenty of people "inciting violence" against the president and/or his supporters but those posts dont get deleted. The posts inciting violence against Israel and Jews dont get deleted either and none of those people who incited violence get banned. So the double standards are appalling but that is communism. Sorry that you cant see that for yourself and hope you will wake up before its too late (because these communists will come for you as well even if you think you are safe today).

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:27 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I had to have my location on to check in with a job but then I forgot to turn it off and went into a random store. Next thing I know, my phone send me a message asking me about my experience at the store (they knew exactly which store I was in). That is beyond intrusion and invasion of privacy. Who gave them the right to track me and then message me about it? That is not the same as Yael who only tracks her website so its not comparable.
As for inciting violence, there are plenty of people "inciting violence" against the president and/or his supporters but those posts dont get deleted. The posts inciting violence against Israel and Jews dont get deleted either and none of those people who incited violence get banned. So the double standards are appalling but that is communism. Sorry that you cant see that for yourself and hope you will wake up before its too late (because these communists will come for you as well even if you think you are safe today).

Oh yes, they do get censored. In fact lots of photojournalists videos from the capitol last week, has been removed from instagram. Look around who you are in bed with. People with sweatshirts that says Camp auschwitz, and 6MWE - which means 6 million (jews) wasn't enough. Boggles my mind how frum jews and Nazis are on the same wavelength. Hashem Yishmor.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:29 am
Ok ty. How do I know which contacts have signal or not? All contacts come up in the list. I try to send message and then it says enable sms messages- assuming that means they do not have signal. Is there a way to figure out who does and who does not?

A very low tech and old fashioned way. Pick up the phone, call their number, have a nice chat, and ask them if they have signal. You can have some real social contact and discuss the pros and cons of different messaging apps at the same time.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:31 am
Hashem Yishmor that anyone would compare Jews and nazis yimach shmom Crying

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:32 am
I love my WhatApp and am so freaked out by this. I feel like they already have everything already. Is there anything new they will get from me if I don't have FB or insta??

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:34 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Hashem Yishmor that anyone would compare Jews and nazis yimach shmom Crying

I didn't compare them. I said you're on the same wavelength. Reading comprehension is a big part of the problem here.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:37 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Oh yes, they do get censored. In fact lots of photojournalists videos from the capitol last week, has been removed from instagram. Look around who you are in bed with. People with sweatshirts that says Camp auschwitz, and 6MWE - which means 6 million (jews) wasn't enough. Boggles my mind how frum jews and Nazis are on the same wavelength. Hashem Yishmor.

You are not even responding to what I am saying and just attacking me for something I had nothing to do with (no, I wasnt there last week that is not what I said, please reread what I actually said before you make baseless accusations). You admit that the photojournalists video from the capitol last week were removed but did they also remove all the comments inciting violence against Trump/his supporters or even Israel/Jews? Because that is the double standards I am talking about even if you try to shove it under the rug. But I understand it makes you sleep better at night (for now) but that is beyond scary for those of us who are "woke" and understand that America has become a communist country.
And werent Jewish women on this website silenced recently because they are "white" and no one wants to hear what "white" people have to say? Now you are saying that Jews are not "white" and shouldnt associate themselves with white people. So Jews are "white" when you want to silence us but not "white" when you dont want us to stand up for our rights and our country. So we are damned if we do and damned if we dont.
Do we even belong in this new communists america and if so, how should we identify if one minute we are silenced as white people and the next we are silenced as Jews?

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:37 am
ohmygosh wrote:
There are different levels of sharing/keeping info. You cant compare this site to WhatsApp sharing your info with Facebook.

I wasn’t comparing, I was just pointing out....

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:48 am
What if I don’t have facebook? What are they going to do with my information, exactly?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:38 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

It's more capitalism than communism. Tech giants can decide what they want to allow and the public is free to disengage from them or to pester their elected officials to institute fair standards. The right to free speech extends to Tech giants.
Gab.com is trying to get those who are fed up with the liberal media to switch to them. Maybe people will do that but Facebook has groups for weight loss, autism, and many more non political causes as well as birthday greetings and singles match-ups.
Is the local Chabad shaliach putting his events on Gab?
OTOH, Gab has those videos that YouTube blocks which is important to many people.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 1:06 pm
southernbubby wrote:
It's more capitalism than communism. Tech giants can decide what they want to allow and the public is free to disengage from them or to pester their elected officials to institute fair standards. The right to free speech extends to Tech giants.
Gab.com is trying to get those who are fed up with the liberal media to switch to them. Maybe people will do that but Facebook has groups for weight loss, autism, and many more non political causes as well as birthday greetings and singles match-ups.
Is the local Chabad shaliach putting his events on Gab?
OTOH, Gab has those videos that YouTube blocks which is important to many people.

So if tech can decide to shut down and ban people they disagree with then a Orthodox Jewish store can decide they dont have to cater to women who wear pants or men who dont wear yarmulkas. And the christian baker who was penalized and dragged through the mud because he didnt dare decorate a cake for a gay person should be given millions in damages because he had the right to shut out people who were different than him. That is what media is doing, shutting down voices that they disagree with which is communism. Why is the media allowed to not cater to people they disagree with but private businesses are forced to cater to people they disagree with? Either all businesses are open for everyone equally or all of them get to decide who to cater to and who to ban. You cant have it both ways.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 2:59 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
So if tech can decide to shut down and ban people they disagree with then a Orthodox Jewish store can decide they dont have to cater to women who wear pants or men who dont wear yarmulkas. And the christian baker who was penalized and dragged through the mud because he didnt dare decorate a cake for a gay person should be given millions in damages because he had the right to shut out people who were different than him. That is what media is doing, shutting down voices that they disagree with which is communism. Why is the media allowed to not cater to people they disagree with but private businesses are forced to cater to people they disagree with? Either all businesses are open for everyone equally or all of them get to decide who to cater to and who to ban. You cant have it both ways.

People sued the Xtian baker and the frum stores with signs about modesty. Basically it was the people, rather than the government who brought these situations to court and the people have the right to sue tech giants unless they sign an agreement when they engage with the site agreeing that the site can kick off posts that they don't allow.
Communist governments probably don't allow people to sue.

SYA

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:19 pm
They will share your phone number, contact info of your contacts, you're profile photo, and any business info you have from business you've conducted or used on WhatsApp.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:20 pm
southernbubby wrote:
People sued the Xtian baker and the frum stores with signs about modesty. Basically it was the people, rather than the government who brought these situations to court and the people have the right to sue tech giants unless they sign an agreement when they engage with the site agreeing that the site can kick off posts that they don't allow.
Communist governments probably don't allow people to sue.

You're wrong on both accounts.

Jack Phillips was penalized by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission in 2014 for declining to bake a wedding cake for a same-relations couple-- https://www.ncregister.com/new.....baker

And in the case of the Orthodox Jewish groceries who put up signs about dress codes, the NYC Commission on Human Rights found the signs problematic and sued the stores. https://gothamist.com/news/nyc.....codes

So the government in both cases penalized civilians for exercising their rights in choosing who to do business with. Why is twitter allowed to ban people they disagree with if private companies cannot decide to do that (for dress code or even decorate a cake which is different than selling a standard cake)?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media