Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Leib
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 10:57 am
Anyone heard that the name leib can mean thanking and not a lion?

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 10:59 am
No, my husband thought it meant ''heart''... And his name is shalom leib

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:00 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
No, my husband thought it meant ''heart''... And his name is shalom leib

That’s a different word. That’s Lev. Leib is Yiddish

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s a different word. That’s Lev. Leib is Yiddish
yeah that is why I corrected him on the meaning of his own name.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:13 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
yeah that is why I corrected him on the meaning of his own name.

His name is Shalom Aryeh or Shalom Yehuda, right? Never heard of someone with the name Leib, it's a Yiddish nickname. Like every Hersh is named Tzvi not the name Hersh. I know sometimes with BTs it is different because their parents didn't know, was wondering what people do then if they ask shailas.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:18 am
could mean chaim. 'leib' can mean life in yiddish
mostly I know arieh leib (transaltion of arieh, like dov ber or tzvi hirsh)

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:21 am
I know a bunch of yehuda Leib and aryeh leib. It’s not a nickname It’s their name

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:22 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I know a bunch of yehuda Leib and aryeh leib. It’s not a nickname It’s their name

Yes, but there is no name Leib by itself.
Most Leibs are either Just Yehuda or just Aryeh. Some are Yehuda Leib or Aryeh Leib, but there is no Leib alone. Hope this clarifies.

Hersh can be Tzvi or Tzvi Hersh but not Hersh
Ber is Dov or Dov Ber but not Ber
Volf or Volvi is Zev
Getzil is Elyakim
The Yiddish is not by itself for men.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:24 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Most Leibs are either Just Yehuda or just Aryeh. Some are Yehuda Leib or Aryeh Leib, but there is no Leib alone. Hope this clarifies.

Volf or Volvi is Zev
Getzil is Elyakim

I know someone who is just Leib. And I know someone who is Dovid Hersh, not Tzvi Hersh

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:32 am
No my husbands name is shalom Leib emesdik... His grandmothers father had this name is really unusual but it suits him

Genius

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:45 am

Volf or Volvi is Zev
Getzil is Elyakim

What are you basing this on?

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:50 am
My father's name is Berel. Just Berel, no Dov. He has a brother named Dov.

And my uncle, Dov, has a son Yaakov Hersh.

All named after relatives.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:51 am
Genius wrote:
What are you basing this on?

My experience in life as well as discussions I have had with a dayan who does Gitten.
He said if someone mistakenly thinks their name is just Mendel they do Menachem, and I was curious what happens if someone thinks their name is just Leib because how do they decide if it is Yehuda or Aryeh, but he didn't have an answer and I didn't follow up. I should though, because it is interesting.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 11:51 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
My father's name is Berel. Just Berel, no Dov. He has a brother named Dov.

And my uncle, Dov, has a son Yaakov Hersh.

All named after relatives.

Are you FFB right wing?
Is his name Yisacher?

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:15 pm
My experience in life as well as discussions I have had with a dayan who does Gitten.
You'll never meet an FFB Chassidishe person who is named Hersh, Leib, Ber, Mendel. They are either just Tzvi, Yehuda/Aryeh, Dov, Menachem or sometimes combined together with the Yiddish like a double name.
According to the dayan the only exception he has come across are BTs or maybe some MO who may not have known better.
He said if someone mistakenly thinks their name is just Mendel they do Menachem, and I was curious what happens if someone thinks their name is just Leib because how do they decide if it is Yehuda or Aryeh, but he didn't have an answer and I didn't follow up. I should though, because it is interesting.

And what if someone actually was named Mendel or Herschel at his bris? A get needs to include all possible names the person has been called, including nicknames. That doesn't mean that it is their name.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:32 pm
Elfrida wrote:
And what if someone actually was named Mendel or Herschel at his bris? A get needs to include all possible names the person has been called, including nicknames. That doesn't mean that it is their name.

Yes, but he would require the name Menachem or Tzvi on the get as far as I understood so it would read like Menachem lemiskaria Mendel (even if he was mistakenly - according to this dayan - named Mendel at his bris).

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:49 pm
Yes, but he would require the name Menachem or Tzvi on the get as far as I understood so it would read like Menachem lemiskaria Mendel (even if he was mistakenly - according to this dayan - named Mendel at his bris).

I suppose he has his sources, but it seems rather arbitrary of him. If I was in the middle of divorce, I wouldn't appreciate being told that I didn't know my own name, or that my parents got it wrong at the bris.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 1:12 pm
My son is YEHUDA ARYEH LEIB
all three names
just like so so many of his cousins and their Zeidy and the Gerrer Rebbe the Sfas Emes

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 2:19 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
My son is YEHUDA ARYEH LEIB
all three names
just like so so many of his cousins and their Zeidy and the Gerrer Rebbe the Sfas Emes

That's not contradictory to what I'm saying. I know a few ppl with all 3 names.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 2:34 pm
His name is Shalom Aryeh or Shalom Yehuda, right? Never heard of someone with the name Leib, it's a Yiddish nickname. Like every Hersh is named Tzvi not the name Hersh. I know sometimes with BTs it is different because their parents didn't know, was wondering what people do then if they ask shailas.

Condescending much?

It’s their name. Nobody is telling you what to name your child. A name can be something made up too. Nothing needs to pass your approval.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names