Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shloime Zionce and Peter Santanello series on Chassidim
  Previous  1  2  3  4 17  18  19  Next

avrahamama

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:05 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Smokey, you dont need to justify your comment. You can voice your opinion, but it doesn't need to be nasty.

I feel bad for your kids, if you think that kids can't act like kids. Peter said he loved the light atmosphere.

My house looks just like that at a meal (though in a smaller house) my little ones make a mess, while the older ones, shmooz, laugh, and sing.

I wasn't so impressed with that air freshener moment. The kids were being kids and everything else was reasonable kid behavior. But I'd be watching mine out of the corner of my eye for exactly that kind of thing.

Once things like air freshener or other dangerous noxious substances come out I'd also lay down the law and fast and hard. I would think that's a pretty typical thing for a parent to disapprove of.

I don't think we need to feel bad for smokey's kids. We don't know anything about her.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:14 am
They are not typical chasidish. But like others say they give the world a glimpse of the beauty of straimel wearing people. Open minded chasidish people live all over the tri state area. Nothing wrong qwith it. They are modest and frum. They did one video in a chasidish house in Williamsburg I hope they do more like those.

nchr

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:18 am
It was interesting to watch, but it was just as foreign to me as to all the non Jewish people out there. I've never seen a seuda that looks like this and at first I felt they were making choizek. Then I realized there are all different types of people out there trying their best. I really didn't like the child being kissed by the cleaner and I really cannot believe anyone allows that. Obviously the kids were wild because the atmosphere was that type and I don't see the educational value here for non Jewish watchers because it's wasn't offering any knowledge about what Shabbos is and looked like camp to me but it's better PR than some of the other stuff out there.

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:32 am
Yeah, they’re not the white tichel on a shaitel type of chasidim
But I doubt those types would let a non jew nevertheless a camera in their home on shabbos.
Maybe they wouldn’t want their kid to get the wrong idea about shabbos chas veshalom

BUT I could be wrong.

Maybe if Peter went to chasidish converts or BTs it won’t be a problem since some are more open and friendly maybe more comfortable with non Jews than FFB chasidim.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:37 am
nchr wrote:
It was interesting to watch, but it was just as foreign to me as to all the non Jewish people out there. I've never seen a seuda that looks like this and at first I felt they were making choizek. Then I realized there are all different types of people out there trying their best. I really didn't like the child being kissed by the cleaner and I really cannot believe anyone allows that. Obviously the kids were wild because the atmosphere was that type and I don't see the educational value here for non Jewish watchers because it's wasn't offering any knowledge about what Shabbos is and looked like camp to me but it's better PR than some of the other stuff out there.

I'm chassidish and this looked like a very typical seedah to me.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:45 am
delete

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:47 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
The wives are typical Lubavitch, dressed the way Lubavitch women usually dress. Their husbands are not the typical chassidim if they married their wives. Nothing against them, just fact. Then again, typical chassidim wouldn't let Peter in, wouldn't know how to explain things to a non-Jew, and wouldn't be so open and friendly.

Interesting.

In the things that matter, this seemed to me a accurate presentation of a healthy chassidish family seedah.

It’s true that the more chassidish would probably not be comfortable with a camera there but that’s why I think it’s great they found this family.

Because the actual seedah was a very accurate portrayal of a typical chassidish family's.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:51 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Oh, please. Not from NCHRs crowd or this crowd but this not a typical chassidish meal. The dh and dw at the head of the table and the clothes especially stood out.

Kudos to this lovely couple though. They seem to have a very nice family and they should have a lot of nachas. We're all different, is there "typical" chassidish anyway?

Really? Is the clothes that determine the spirit of the seedah? Sure, there'd be a white tichel maybe and more conservative clothing. And the woman at the side of the table. But the atmosphere? How the meal was conducted? That looked very similar to my own childhood seedos.

Eta: nchr's problem wasn't the clothing but rather the chilled fun atmosphere. I'm saying that that part is very typical.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:52 am
Are these families what posters here describe as "chilled chassidish"?

nchr

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:59 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Eta: nchr's problem wasn't the clothing but rather the chilled fun atmosphere. I'm saying that that part is very typical.

Where did I say that was my comment?
I didn't like the cleaner kissing the child and I felt the entire atmosphere was choizek. You can argue it is "chassidish inspired" but not typical chassidish in any way. Please, don't pretend. I really don't want to make a scene on the main board so I'm not saying anything else.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:00 pm
Peters videos are great. It gives a look in to a segment of society regarded as mysterious and hidden. Thats his entire channel pretty much. And he is changing the world one stereotype at a time.

Clearly not all chassidim are alike, but it is still a glimpse in. And it is very liked and undid lots of antisemitic views for a lot of people. And made the pintele yiddishe neshama of some yearn. And even made some frum people appreciate this part of our society more. Ok, majority of people are not in their income bracket and its a fact of life that children get very attached to the housekeeper/sitter when parents have full very full time jobs to the one who commented.

LOL I read through all comments on Peters videos. I find them even more fascinating to see people reactions.

If Shloime family is on here, what a personality! So warm & relateable. Lots of nachas.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:03 pm
nchr wrote:
Where did I say that was my comment?
I didn't like the cleaner kissing the child and I felt the entire atmosphere was choizek. You can argue it is "chassidish inspired" but not typical chassidish in any way. Please, don't pretend. I really don't want to make a scene on the main board so I'm not saying anything else.

I'm sorry you think it's choizek.
I think it's beautiful and healthy and this is the kind of seedos I aim to have in my home.
Where kids can be kids. And everyone can enjoy the light that shabbos brings in a pleasant relaxed atmosphere.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:05 pm
avrahamama wrote:
I wasn't so impressed with that air freshener moment. The kids were being kids and everything else was reasonable kid behavior. But I'd be watching mine out of the corner of my eye for exactly that kind of thing.

Once things like air freshener or other dangerous noxious substances come out I'd also lay down the law and fast and hard. I would think that's a pretty typical thing for a parent to disapprove of.

I don't think we need to feel bad for smokey's kids. We don't know anything about her.

Yes, agree that the air freshener is not safe, but we dont know if the parents took it away right away once they realized. Two yr olds tend to do such trouble.
As for the boys running around, is very normal for kids IMO esp when they have company...

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:08 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Because the actual seedah was a very accurate portrayal of a typical chassidish family's.

It's just an accurate portrayal of every frum person's meal, but it isn't accurate for a typical person from Williamsburg.
The food was basically the same, but had some changes that were not traditional.
The clothing is not traditional.
The furniture is not traditional.
Everyone was speaking in English.
There was a lot of regular talking and not elevated and no Torahs.
There was a lot of whining.
There was a lot of pritzes with men and women intermingling.
The husband and wife sat at the head of the table together.
There wasn't very much respect with the children.
The table was not traditionally set up.
The dancing and singing was a little over the top.
Did someone blow out their lecht?

I wonder if they were able to approve the video before it was released?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:11 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
It's just an accurate portrayal of every frum person's meal, but it isn't accurate for a typical person from Williamsburg.
The food was basically the same, but had some changes that were not traditional.

I’m so curious to know your background.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:14 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I’m so curious to know your background.

I'm chassidish, like 50% of people on this site. This family on youtube is something like a blended family with an ex-chassidish or socially chassidish father and lubavitch or litvish mother.
That's probably why there were some traditional aspects blended with some modern things. The outline was chassidish but not the small details like the tree versus the leaves.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:19 pm

why the negativity? almost sounds like you have something personally against them. I come from a very typical chasidish (Satmar) background, and none of that looked foreign. ok maybe except for the part where husband and wife sat together at the head, but it didnt bother me. on the contrary, it looked beautiful

and why does it need to be accurate for a Williamsburg family. they were portraying a beautiful family in Monsey .

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:29 pm
delete

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:38 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I'm sorry you think it's choizek.
I think it's beautiful and healthy and this is the kind of seedos I aim to have in my home.
Where kids can be kids. And everyone can enjoy the light that shabbos brings in a pleasant relaxed atmosphere.

This!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:39 pm

Yoy.
Who said they were portraying a chassidish family im Williamsburg?
Can you get out of your little box for one second?!

Eta:
I don't think the clothes were not the norm..
Lots of chassidim don't eat the "traditional " foods every week. Gasp!
Lots of people are moving away from the traditional furniture look go to any furniture store in boro Park.
My ideal suabbos meal is lots of talking and laughing and a happy atmosphere.
Yes, people speak in English.
Kids whine.
The table looked beautiful.
The singing and dancing were beautiful!

You really sound like you live in a willy bubble.

Oh well, that doesn't make it any less authentic.

I don't think anyone was pretending this was a Williamsburg shabbos meal, you definitely can't find that view in willy!
Page 3 of 19   Previous  1  2  3  4 17  18  19  Next Recent Topics