Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Erev shabbos MM
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:18 am
clowny wrote:
I agree, I think it’s ridiculous to send for so many people, that is why I said in a previous post that I think sending something related to shabbos is useful. Just my opinion.
I don’t feel the same about a salad. Because a salad is an extra thing. Whoever likes it will eat it. Challah roll? Is a little different. There are 2 big fresh challahs on the table that I just baked. Why would someone choose the small non home made challah roll?

The soup is also an extra thing. That's what you're not getting. Most people don't take what they get from mm and make it entire real meal. It's just an extra. It's one thing if you send enough for one person which I happen to hate when people do. to send enough for a few people I don't think is such a big deal.... It's an extra. I have it in the same category as salad, or a hot dog, or even a challah roll etc.

miami85

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:23 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
With corona do you think ppl will keep home cooked items.

I think by now you know if you've had it, have been exposed or can get tested to know for sure. Baking kills germs--that's why we do it.

I've gotten plenty of items from neighbors who have had/exposed to corona and haven't been affected by it. If there is any doubt leave things sitting for a while or warm them up--like a kugel/soup etc. or something, will kill any virus.

miami85

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 11:38 am
I don't like this mentality of "people must be lax in hygiene when cooking and baking for others" and then throw away perfectly good food. If anything I wash my hands extra while cooking and baking for others. I wouldn't cook/bake if I wasn't feeling well. If you don't want other people's food due to extreme sensitivity then I wont' give you but don't throw out food that I put my heart and soul into.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:00 pm
SO- not to derail....

would uu prefer to recieve a smoothie or a soup?

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:06 pm
I already spoke to dh about it. Cause its early shabbos, we still have to eat lunch and listen to megillah. There really isnt much time to deliver mm. Plus I dont know what the teachers are planning. And I'm not interested in DH going with the kids into other people's homes. So I'm making 5 and we will leave it by the door.

As what I'm making I'll make cake, that's always appreciated especially for shabbos. Dh always adds smoke salmon and wine. Sometimes herring and fillet salmon.

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:06 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
SO- not to derail....

Soup

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:11 pm
The mitzvah is 2 items to 1 person.

Covid certainly plays in, know your neighbors.

Some homemade items can be heated so less issue if you have careful neighbors.

Its very nice to send things that can get used at the seuda. Dips. Mini kugels. Challah, wine. Salad. Unusual gourmet pickles/olives. Or something nice to use shabbos day for dessert/snack. Fruit, nuts, chocolates, baked goods.

It makes the seuda festive to put all this variety out imo.

Am I the only one planning on less this year because erev & covid & prob still cold out? I am thinking to do the minimum amount of mishloach manos, one for each person over the age of mitzvah to give out.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:54 pm
SO- not to derail....

I'll take the smoothie, thanks

Reality

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 12:55 pm
Why are people worrying about covid regarding homemade food?

Do you not eat take out or prepared food from your grocery?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 1:00 pm
Reality wrote:
Why are people worrying about covid regarding homemade food?

Do you not eat take out or prepared food from your grocery?

No one is worried. It was one poster who made that comment and she clearly doesn’t realize that it doesn’t make sense.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 1:05 pm
rainbow dash wrote:
I already spoke to dh about it. Cause its early shabbos, we still have to eat lunch and listen to megillah. There really isnt much time to deliver mm. Plus I dont know what the teachers are planning. And I'm not interested in DH going with the kids into other people's homes. So I'm making 5 and we will leave it by the door.

As what I'm making I'll make cake, that's always appreciated especially for shabbos. Dh always adds smoke salmon and wine. Sometimes herring and fillet salmon.
Thanks for the reminder about the teachers. I'm going to prepare in advance and send it to school on Wednesday. This year bli neder I will not go to teachers or Rebbes, unless it's in walking distance!

mizle10

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 1:17 pm
I would not appreciate shabbos items this year. By the time I get your MM, 2 hours before the zman my shabbos is prepared and I have nothing to do with a tiny extra potato kugel.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 1:22 pm
For those saying they would hate a small container of soup or whatever when they have a large family. I love those. I can never be bothered making myself lunch and I love soups. It's such a treat for me to have something that's just for me, and not for my whole family. I would feel really pampered.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 1:52 pm
SO- not to derail....

I find smoothie that isn’t drank right after it’s blended does not look very appetizing.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 2:02 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
For those saying they would hate a small container of soup or whatever when they have a large family. I love those. I can never be bothered making myself lunch and I love soups. It's such a treat for me to have something that's just for me, and not for my whole family. I would feel really pampered.

Same. And I also stop my kids and force them to eat these healthier mm. I know they won't sit at seudah anyway. So I try to stuff them up with the nourishing homemade stuff as soon as it comes.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 2:03 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I find smoothie that isn’t drank right after it’s blended does not look very appetizing.

Yep it settles. Watery up top and sediment down below.

keym

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 2:24 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Same. And I also stop my kids and force them to eat these healthier mm. I know they won't sit at seudah anyway. So I try to stuff them up with the nourishing homemade stuff as soon as it comes.

Yes.
My kids aren't the most cooperative at eating healthy food on Purim.
But they'll rip into the mm and devour the soups, salad, bagels and cream cheese, yogurts, deli sandwiches (not all at once).
So I'm thrilled when a mm has those foods.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 2:28 pm
I always put a sparkling grape juice and bar chocolate (wrapped in a purim wrapper) in an organza bag. I add some candles in a mini organza bag put over the grape juice.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 2:30 pm
I once did a mini challah, where every strand was made with a different food coloring.
The outside looked typical brown, but when you cut it open, it (tastes typical and) looks cute and purim'dig.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 2:45 pm
Since we eat the seuda early in the day, I was thinking of giving out something breakfasty maybe a yogurt and granola or fruit. I figured its pre packaged without being candy and someone or their kid could have it for breakfast on shabbos day.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics