Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Don't let it take you by surprise
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

keym

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:21 pm
I'm not so learned. But I'm fairly positive there's a source that it's assur to even think about Pesach (except clothes shopping) before Tu Bishvat, and assur to start cleaning at all until Rosh Chodesh Adar.
And the machmirim will refrain from all Pesach thoughts and actions until after Purim.
And those who wait until Rosh Chodesh Nisdan- Tavo Alecha Bracha.
Anyone know the source?
This is a very holy minhag that has been passed down from one procrastinating generation to another.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:23 pm
Other than 2 yontif dresses for my daughter (bought on sale last year) I can’t even think about cleaning. Any cleaning I do is undone within an hour in a small apt, especially with winter vacation coming.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:34 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
O gosh!
please dont get people nervous.
What IS the point of this thread?!

We are in lockdown, day to day is hard enough, pls dont get people worried. Scratching Head

Regardless of the lockdown, there are things that we can do now that will make Pesach easier later. Start by checking your inventory from last year and make lists of what to buy so that it doesn't all hit at once. Monsey, where I live, is not in lockdown so I am trying to get routine appointments out of the way.
It's sad when nobody thinks about the dry cleaning, girls tights or boys white shirts until just days before Pesach.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:36 pm
keym wrote:
I'm not so learned. But I'm fairly positive there's a source that it's assur to even think about Pesach (except clothes shopping) before Tu Bishvat, and assur to start cleaning at all until Rosh Chodesh Adar.
And the machmirim will refrain from all Pesach thoughts and actions until after Purim.
And those who wait until Rosh Chodesh Nisdan- Tavo Alecha Bracha.
Anyone know the source?
This is a very holy minhag that has been passed down from one procrastinating generation to another.

I'm not that machmir.

happy12

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 6:41 pm
Pesach kitchen is done.😊
Everything else will get done 2 weeks before pesach.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:02 pm
Is this serious? How do you start cleaning so far in advance without it getting undone?

MommyM

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:15 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Regardless of the lockdown, there are things that we can do now that will make Pesach easier later. Start by checking your inventory from last year and make lists of what to buy so that it doesn't all hit at once. Monsey, where I live, is not in lockdown so I am trying to get routine appointments out of the way.
It's sad when nobody thinks about the dry cleaning, girls tights or boys white shirts until just days before Pesach.

I agree. I am already looking at my kids clothes to see what they may need for Pesach. I like to shop ahead and buy when I can find things on sale. Then when Purim is over, I can focus on the cleaning and food shopping and not have the additional headache of trying to shop for clothing.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:18 pm
I have been thinking bout pesach for a few weeks. I started going thru my cookbooks and keeping tabs of what can b cooked on pesach. Plan on finishing the bedrooms by beginning of February. I start really early bc my husband works crazy hrs and isn’t around to help at all. I also don’t have cleaning help. And I have 2 under 3 then few older ones as well. Need the organization. Thanks for the reminder! Keep us posted and motivated!!!

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:26 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I have been thinking bout pesach for a few weeks. I started going thru my cookbooks and keeping tabs of what can b cooked on pesach. Plan on finishing the bedrooms by beginning of February. I start really early bc my husband works crazy hrs and isn’t around to help at all. I also don’t have cleaning help. And I have 2 under 3 then few older ones as well. Need the organization. Thanks for the reminder! Keep us posted and motivated!!!

If chametz inevitably wanders into your bedroom between April and February, why do you think it won't between February and April?

I recently gave my pantry a much-needed cleaning out, and jokingly said, well, that's it for Pesach. And in reality, I might not clean it again, since it will be closed off. But that's spring cleaning, not Pesach cleaning.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:35 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I bought a food processor for pesach already!
Last year I borrowed one. I'm thinking in advance more this year than other years because of covid and the unknown. We're in a strict lockdown at the moment so who knows what will be Sad

I also bought a food processor (and a couple other little things) on Black Friday. I even toiveled them when I had to go to mikvah since the keilim mikvah is still closed here (last year we used the ocean and it was very inconvenient and chilly). But I won’t do anything else until a couple weeks before. Cleaning will get undone anyway, and no way am I turning over my kitchen before I have to.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:39 pm
how do you know if your kids will have a growth spurt in the next 3 months, especially since pesach clothing is really meant for summer...

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 7:49 pm
I’m a very advanced person and I’m done for pesach with all the cooking a day before pesach. My kids are not the korben pesach, so I try and be calm and do advanced. Cleaning the closets and the dressers now is a lot of organizing and spring cleaning. A day or two before bedikas chometz all closets are vacuumed thorough and the whole house so there’s no worry about crumbs and chometz. There’s no reason people cram it all in 3-4 weeks it’s a lot of work and pressure. I make lists now of what needs to be bought and start buying right when new things come out.

boat

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 9:13 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I realize that this is a very difficult subject but every erev Pesach, posters on here are frantically trying to find a sheital macher or can't get an appointment for a Mani/pedi. Don't let it happen to you.

Thanks for the reminder! Going to book my mani pedi for as soon as possible!

TCR

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 9:36 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Is this serious? How do you start cleaning so far in advance without it getting undone?

If u declutter by getting rid of anything u don't absolutely need, then it's way easier to clean and keep clean. Talking to myself, as I'm too lazy to start working on this, but it's a fact that the less stuff u have, the easier it is to stay on top of things. Example- if u want to clean an area but too much stuff's there, u don't have the motivation to do anything. But if area is clear and clutter-free, then it's way easier and faster

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 10:25 pm
TCR wrote:
If u declutter by getting rid of anything u don't absolutely need, then it's way easier to clean and keep clean. Talking to myself, as I'm too lazy to start working on this, but it's a fact that the less stuff u have, the easier it is to stay on top of things. Example- if u want to clean an area but too much stuff's there, u don't have the motivation to do anything. But if area is clear and clutter-free, then it's way easier and faster

Yup!
Thanks so much SB for reminder!

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 10:40 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Yup!
Thanks so much SB for reminder!

You're welcome!
I saw 3 brands of shmurah matzo in Evergreen and I was buying aluminum foil in Bingo and realized that rather buying everything at once, it's better to go through the Pesach stuff and see what I have and what I need.
I remember how pressuring it was when I had kids at home and cooking, cleaning, shopping, and doctors appointments all in the same couple of weeks was just too much.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 10:41 pm
boat wrote:
Thanks for the reminder! Going to book my mani pedi for as soon as possible!

Yeah, I remember the year when DIL and I tried every salon in the area and they had no openings.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 10:48 pm
I'm with you, southernbubby! (Except for the mani pedi. I don't like sandals, gel destroys nails, and regular polish is gone after the first day's dishes, if not before.) Right now, it's the organizing that can make actual later Pesach cleaning quicker and easier.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 10:50 pm
And yes most sheitel machers stop working Rosh Chodesh Nissen. And they book up very fast with the good appointments I already booked for pesach my appts I don’t wanna stay stuck.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jan 11 2021, 10:52 pm
imasinger wrote:
I'm with you, southernbubby! (Except for the mani pedi. I don't like sandals, gel destroys nails, and regular polish is gone after the first day's dishes, if not before.) Right now, it's the organizing that can make actual later Pesach cleaning quicker and easier.

I have pitiful feet so I only did manicures and wore gloves for housework. The grandchildren loved having their nails done.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics