Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Contactor made microwave treif?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:37 am
Hi
I'm finishing up redoing my kitchen and when I woke up I heard the new $500 microwave on. My toddler told me the non Jewish contactor put his food inside. I dont know if of was meat or milk or BACON. I'm freaking out..is my microwave ruined??? I'm too scared to tell DH. What should I do? Thank you

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:38 am
Koshering microwaves is very simple. We do it every time we go to a hotel. Speak to your husband and the rabbi and don’t worry. But don’t let him use your microwave anymore

Java

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi
I'm finishing up redoing my kitchen and when I woke up I heard the new $500 microwave on. My toddler told me the non Jewish contactor put his food inside. I dont know if of was meat or milk or BACON. I'm freaking out..is my microwave ruined??? I'm too scared to tell DH. What should I do? Thank you

You may be able to kasher it, AYLOR

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:42 am
Yep. I know a few groups of people who don't hold by kashering microwaves, but many/most do. And some who don't allow it on a regular basis will allow in extenuating circumstances. Ask your rav.

OOTforlife

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:46 am
If the contractor is going to be in your home regularly, it may be worth getting a $50 treif microwave for him to use to eliminate any temptation. If you can find a good location for it, preferably far away from your kitchen.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:47 am
Microwaves are very simple because they don’t get hot. Koshering takes less than 10 min. Aylor for the specifics.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:48 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Microwaves are very simple because they don’t get hot. Koshering takes less than 10 min. Aylor for the specifics.

That’s what I learned too.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:52 am
Get a one cup Pyrex measuring cup, and microwave it on High for 10 minutes. The water should be at a hard boil. If not, give it another 10 minutes. That should do it.

Machmir, Yeshivish rabbi.

AYLOR, but that was what I was told.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:53 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Get a one cup Pyrex measuring cup, and microwave it on High for 10 minutes. The water should be at a hard boil. If not, give it another 10 minutes. That should do it.

Chasidish and this is what we were told as well.

simcha2

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:57 am
Just an FYI, and obviously speak to your rav, but lots of people hold that while the microwave can be kashered, the turntable plate and the plastic ring that it sits on, can not.

So you may have to buy a new insert.

flower2

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:58 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

This is correct but u need to do it a second time w the glass cup moved over so the new steam hits the spot the cup was on the first time

Java

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 11:58 am
simcha2 wrote:
Just an FYI, and obviously speak to your rav, but lots of people hold that while the microwave can be kashered, the turntable plate and the plastic ring that it sits on, can not.

So you may have to buy a new insert.

Can't see why this would be a problem as most people don't put food directly on it

sky

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:08 pm
Btw - if it’s a convection oven microwave the rules for koshering may be diff
We were told we could do for mess ups but not regularly

simcha2

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:20 pm
bananas4bananas wrote:
Can't see why this would be a problem as most people don't put food directly on it

Food doesn't go on the inside walls, but we still have to kasher them.

In general we kosher via the same way it became treif.

In this case through steam.

Plastic and Pyrex can't be koshered by steam.

Java

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:24 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Food doesn't go on the inside walls, but we still have to kasher them.

In general we kosher via the same way it became treif.

In this case through steam.

Plastic and Pyrex can't be koshered by steam.

You're right... I was thinking more in terms of counters (my counters are technically treif but we were told it's not a problem unless hot food falls directly on them)

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:27 pm
To the best of my knowledge

Completely clean out microwave

Put in a glass of water

Run highest level for 15 minutes

And its good

anonimom

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 12:52 pm
This happened to me when I had work done in my house. I walked in the kitchen and saw one of the workers about to put his lunch in my microwave. I called a Rav and he told me how to kasher it.

Miri1

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 2:06 pm
Yes, ask a rav, it might make a difference what type of microwave, and also what was in it.

Also, for the future, ask a rav about sealing it with tape and a signature.
We did this during construction (when we weren't in the house).

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 2:13 pm
Attention to all people who write about kashering mikrowave with a glass of water etc. - this doen not apply if it has a grill (spirale) in it

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 12 2021, 2:13 pm
Some halachic opinions hold that the glass tray needs to be replaced and the rest kashered.
But it should be able to be kashered. And worse comes to worse just a $15-60 turntable replaced.
*If it's a convection oven microwave combo then mention that when you call the rav.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen