Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Man with a pan
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:16 am
Agree about the suggestions for actual challenges. I’d like to see the challenge being spending only a certain amount of money instead of the extravagant menus they’ve been featuring, or completing all prep including dishes and cleanup, in under 2 hours. Preferably while working from home and supervising kids that have to call in to their classes. LOL And it would be more interesting if they had several people “compete” so we could see different approaches.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:26 am
English3 wrote:
If you read mishpacha you will know all about man with a pan. It's a fascinating read of men in the kitchen, but what interests me more is that most of them don't eat basic traditional food. Some skip fish egg and even cholent. And these are hiemish askenazic people. What happened to tradition? As well can you explain me what it feels like shabbos with a regular weekday supper. Are you the kind that eats Mac and cheese all week that this feels like a fancy meal?

Sushi is traditional too. Traditional Japanese, but so what? What matters is that you have oneg Shabbos from the food you eat, and thank Hashem for the day of rest. I'm sure that at some point in history, someone in Europe was scandalized because their daughter-in-law used those newfangled potatoes to make a kugel....

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 12:30 am
Eggs with onions is to keep us fresh with hilchos Shabbos and to remind us that while there are a lot of thinks we cannot do, we should do the allowable things without fear. With peeling eggs, borer is a concern. Must do it samuch l'seuda. Eggs can be chopped finely as it is not gedulei karka. Onions cannot be chopped as finely.

English3

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 5:56 am
Tradition is what saved us in mitzrayim and throughout all our generation. Mesorah is not halachah, it's something passed down from parent to child. I am in no way closed minded to think the Sephardim polish Hungarian and more have the same meal but it's the tradition that keeps us different from the rest of the world.
It does not say anywhere that one has to eat food they don't like as well as food that gives you an oneg shabbos is very important.
Just to mention fish for shabbos is something mentioned in the Gemara 'Rav Huna cooked fish ,Yossef Mokir Shabbos etc'
Chamin for shabbos is BC of the tzidokim
How you eat it if it's tuna salmon or sushi is the same thing. The problem happens when you don't even know why and what you are doing.
It's beautiful to read all the different kinds of shabbos tables we have round the world

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:20 am
Farfel is a beautiful thing. I was told, all the cares farfallen away. (I made it once for a guest. We eat farfel but not davka on Shabbos.)

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:39 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Eggs with onions is to keep us fresh with hilchos Shabbos and to remind us that while there are a lot of thinks we cannot do, we should do the allowable things without fear. With peeling eggs, borer is a concern. Must do it samuch l'seuda. Eggs can be chopped finely as it is not gedulei karka. Onions cannot be chopped as finely.

So why not tuna salad?

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 2:01 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
So why not tuna salad?

Some people do eat tuna to fulfill "basar v'dagim. "
But many would view tuna as a "weekday" food.
On the other hand, I don't know anyone who eats gefilte fish during a regular weekday. Gefilte fish, cholent and potato kugel are strictly shabbos foods.
I remember going to Hadar Geula on an ordinary Tuesday and seeing bachurim sitting and eating parve cholent. I was so surprised and a bit grossed out that people would eat cholent during the week. (Not counting leftover cholent from Shabbos)

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 2:02 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Farfel is a beautiful thing. I was told, all the cares farfallen away. (I made it once for a guest. We eat farfel but not davka on Shabbos.)

People eat farfel on rosh hashanah as one of the simanim for this reason.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 3:39 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

On the other hand, I don't know anyone who eats gefilte fish during a regular weekday.

Just because you don't, doesn't mean nobody does. my family isn't exactly chassidim of gefilte fish. We consider it something you eat when there's nothing else around, which is of course on weekdays. I no longer bother making gefilte fish because it doesn't get eaten, but on the occasions that I did make it for YT, it would sit around in the fridge and I would be eating it for lunch for a week or more after YT. I buy a jar or two of KLP gefilte to serve just before pesach when I'm busy cooking for YT and we need something quick and proteinaceous; if a sealed jar is left after pesach, it sits in the pantry till we have a minor food emergency or there's a food drive.

amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Gefilte fish, cholent and potato kugel are strictly shabbos foods.
)
FOR YOU. My family will happily eat potato kugel any time of day, any day of the week. My kids buy mini-kugels in bulk to have as snacks. And while I wouldn't make cholent lechatchilah for a midweek meal, as I never cook fleishik midweek, if we happen to have cholent on Shabbos and there's left over--which there always is, never yet happened that there wasn't--we eat cholent for supper all week until it's finished or spoils, whichever comes first.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 3:40 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Some people do eat tuna to fulfill "basar v'dagim. "
But many would view tuna as a "weekday" food.

Many would view eggs as a weekday food. I certainly do.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 3:54 pm
This turn the thread took reminds me of an old friend, her father made Aliyah from America as a single young man and her mother was completely Israeli. She told me that whenever her grandmother came to visit from America she would make a huge amount of spaghetti and meatballs and freeze it in portions and they would take it out to eat as a special Shabbat treat after she went back home.
To me spaghetti and meatballs was a very ordinary everyday meal but to her family it was special Shabbat food, especially because it connected them with the grandmother who was overseas,
Whose to say that spaghetti and meatballs can’t be special for Shabbat if you never make it during the week?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note