Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Please help for seminary interview clothes

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 5:12 pm
My daughter has seminary interviews this week. She asked for a midi skirt (4 inches below her knee), and black crew neck with gold buttons (apparently this is in), a turtleneck sweater that’s not skintight, and a cardigan. I live in Lakewood. I want to know where people buy these things.

Java

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 5:16 pm
https://www.zara.com/us/en/bas.....milar crew neck
https://www.zara.com/us/en/hig......html turtleneck
Much cheaper than anything you'll find in a jewish store and good quality

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:09 pm
I never heard of going shopping for new clothes for interviews. She doesn’t have anything appropriate? I would do a simple button down shirt and pleated skirt, maybe with a necklace or a v neck school sweater.
They are really not thinking too much into it, as long as the girl is tznius and aidel, don’t need a specific type of sweater.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:21 pm
bananas4bananas wrote:
https://www.zara.com/us/en/basic-knit-sweater-p05646121.html?v1=93353735&v2=1706172#origin=similar crew neck

Thank you ..scored some major points with my teenage daughter Smile
She keeps telling me everyone in her school has this sweater and she wants it for yearbook pics. I looked on Zara last week and only saw a blue one..so either they restocked or I didn't look in the right place..thanks for the link!!!

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:21 pm
I went to all mine in my uniform. The one that was on Sunday too since we had to go into school that day for play practice and uniform was required.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:46 pm
My daughter's school told them to go in their uniform

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 7:53 pm
I thought uniforms are required for interviews.

Java

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 8:56 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Thank you ..scored some major points with my teenage daughter Smile
She keeps telling me everyone in her school has this sweater and she wants it for yearbook pics. I looked on Zara last week and only saw a blue one..so either they restocked or I didn't look in the right place..thanks for the link!!!

Ya it's a hard website to navigate!
These zara sweaters have been a thing since I was in high school lol

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:22 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
I never heard of going shopping for new clothes for interviews. She doesn’t have anything appropriate? I would do a simple button down shirt and pleated skirt, maybe with a necklace or a v neck school sweater.
They are really not thinking too much into it, as long as the girl is tznius and aidel, don’t need a specific type of sweater.

Her mechaneches was weirdly specific about what she had to wear.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:22 pm
bananas4bananas wrote:
https://www.zara.com/us/en/basic-knit-sweater-p05646121.html?v1=93353735&v2=1706172#origin=similar crew neck

Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:24 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
My daughter's school told them to go in their uniform

My daughter’s mechaneches said that if they go in their uniforms, the schools would think they had no other tznius clothes. This is my oldest daughter, and so I have no idea.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Her mechaneches was weirdly specific about what she had to wear.

would you share which school?

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughter’s mechaneches said that if they go in their uniforms, the schools would think they had no other tznius clothes. This is my oldest daughter, and so I have no idea.

But isn't her mechanechet basically making them wear another uniform by telling them to all wear the same thing?

essie14

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 12:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That's ridiculous. If she goes to a BY type of school with uniforms, no one is going to think she has no tzniut clothes.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 12:35 am
I'm also from Lakewood and I have a dd in seminary in Israel this year. All her interviews were on school days and she wore her uniform to all of them. She got accepted to her first choice.

I'm so curious what school your dd goes to OP, that the mechaneches would say that.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 3:18 am
I live OOT and have a 12th grader who is going to Lakewood and Brooklyn for seminary interviews. She was told to wear her uniform, even on Sundays. She did have her skirt pressed so that she would look more put together and bought a new pair of black loafers. No new clothing.

salt

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 5:49 am
essie14 wrote:
That's ridiculous. If she goes to a BY type of school with uniforms, no one is going to think she has no tzniut clothes.

I'm not sure. If OP's daughter needs to go shopping for this interview, maybe she really has no tzanua clothes. If she has tzanua clothes, then let her wear them.
Ask the mechanechet what the idea is here. If she has perfectly modest and appropriate clothes, why can't she wear them?
If she doesn't have skirts 4 inches below the knee, what skirts does she usually wear.
If they are short, then that's a problem with tzniut. If they are long, then maybe that's just a problem of inappropriate style - then maybe she ought to buy some midi-skirts.
But why wouldn't any sweater or shirt be ok?

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:28 am
The black Zara sweater with the buttons on the sleeves (as posted) is classic and relatively inexpensive. It’s a good thing to have beyond interview season. Perfect for yearbook photo, seminary, and beyond. I’m not sure why people are questioning tznius. Many girls who go to school where there is a uniform don’t have the “in between Shabbos and weekday” clothing to wear to an interview. This is when the shopping begins! Smile Wearing the uniform on Sunday depends on the school that one is applying to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children