Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
OK for headboards to partially block windows?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:15 pm
Or is it better to forget about headboards and just have the frames and mattresses? Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:17 pm
I hate blocking windows. I like as much natural light as possible. If I was making the decision I would go without headboards. You decide what is your priority.

challahchallah

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:35 pm
We got headboards that have lots of open space in them so they don’t block the light much. They’re basically curved metal poles in a nice design (sorry, struggling to describe them super well, but if you look for metal headboards, you’ll see what I mean).

Motherhood

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:37 pm
I have too many windows and too much sun light in my room, so I would block. But as Elfrida said, you decide what is your priority

mizle10

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:39 pm
I don’t know what your room looks like, but what about vant panels up until the windows? Is there room for that? They can be lower than a headboard.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:42 pm
My room is large enough so our headboards don’t block the windows but I did see windows blocked with headboards from the outside. I’ve also seen pictures of people’s bedrooms that had windows partially blocked with headboards. I noticed that headboards were blocking but obviously people do it. I personally wouldn’t like that somethings off with the setup of the room but missing out on the light wouldn’t stop me.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:48 pm
It depends why you have the headboard. If it's for visuals, maybe not. But I sit up in bed a lot, to read, to nurse, etc. I'd rather lean back against a headboard than a window. And I speak as someone who's done both.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 8:01 pm
Thanks for your responses. I need to clarify that the headboards would only partially block the windows. I'll try to modify my original post. The windows are tall, so there would still be plenty of sunlight. But I'm wondering if it will look odd.

rdmom

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 8:17 pm
I have the same thing. The room was originally designed to accommodate one king size bed in the middle with two windows on either side. Now if I have two beds, they both block the window a little. But I really wanted headboards. So I got wooden ones but it’s cutout. So the light still comes in. It looks fine. In my opinion

mandr

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 9:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for your responses. I need to clarify that the headboards would only partially block the windows. I'll try to modify my original post. The windows are tall, so there would still be plenty of sunlight. But I'm wondering if it will look odd.

One of our beds blocks the window a bit, like a few inches. But it doesn't bother me because there are two huge windows in the room and plenty of light. It's not the most symmetrical look but it's really fine. We got used to it.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 9:40 pm
I've seen a lot of people do it but I really don't like it. I'd decorate a different way instead of boards.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 9:45 pm
If you want to see what it will look like with the windows partially blocked, there are some examples here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5.....ulpmg

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx.....49dsf

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 9:50 pm
is it a safety issue to block windows?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 10:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I've seen a lot of people do it but I really don't like it. I'd decorate a different way instead of boards.

Thanks for the links. That's helpful. How else would you decorate?

silverlining3

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 10:03 pm
I think it really depends the layout and how big the room is in general.

The only way my room to feel roomy was by 1 bed blocking a not too big part of the window. The window is big enough though, enough sunlight. It's pretty? No. But space is more important to us.

Maybe you can put the beds a different way?.?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 10:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the links. That's helpful. How else would you decorate?

A monogram on top of each bed. Or some really cool sconces. Those would be my favorites. There are also all sorts of display shelf ideas that can look really nice over each bed.

I've seen boards on the side like in the daybed family. I even noticed corner boards on that same Instagram page.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ.....inena

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 10:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Or is it better to forget about headboards and just have the frames and mattresses? Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

We have windows behind our beds and also on a side wall in our room. The main light comes through the windows behind our beds. Our headboards block the windows partially, but it’s less than half the window. The only other option (which wasn’t an option, because of the layout) was to put the beds on the plain wall, but that would have been on the same wall as the door, and I know there’s a thing about not having your head on the wall where there’s a door.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:21 am
Stuff to consider:

Fire safety. You need a clear exit in case you need to be rescued. Firemen need to be able to easily climb in and out of that window with all of their gear and oxygen tanks on.

Windows get cold and drafty! Unless you like to sleep with cool air blowing down the back of your neck, you'll want a solid headboard.

Windows are usually opposite the doorway. Correct me if your layout is different. You never want to sleep with your feet pointing toward the door, because that is the way people are carried out of the room when they pass away. If that's the case, do everything you can to turn your beds another way, even if that means you have to walk around one to get to the other.

I had a friend who's bedroom was very small, and it was really hard to arrange the beds properly. They called in a rav, who told them to put the beds in an "L" shape. They slept "foot to head" during niddah, so that there was no ability to touch, even though the beds were somewhat close. The headboards were enough to make a separation. Nobody blocked the window, and nobody's feet faced the door.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:54 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Stuff to consider:

Fire safety. You need a clear exit in case you need to be rescued. Firemen need to be able to easily climb in and out of that window with all of their gear and oxygen tanks on.

Windows get cold and drafty! Unless you like to sleep with cool air blowing down the back of your neck, you'll want a solid headboard.

Windows are usually opposite the doorway. Correct me if your layout is different. You never want to sleep with your feet pointing toward the door, because that is the way people are carried out of the room when they pass away. If that's the case, do everything you can to turn your beds another way, even if that means you have to walk around one to get to the other.

I had a friend who's bedroom was very small, and it was really hard to arrange the beds properly. They called in a rav, who told them to put the beds in an "L" shape. They slept "foot to head" during niddah, so that there was no ability to touch, even though the beds were somewhat close. The headboards were enough to make a separation. Nobody blocked the window, and nobody's feet faced the door.

I thought it’s the opposite- you don’t want your HEAD by the door, because THAT is how a meit is carried out.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:12 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
I thought it’s the opposite- you don’t want your HEAD by the door, because THAT is how a meit is carried out.

Really? Wow, I totally learned that the other way!

Do you have a source? I'd love to get it right. I don't have who to ask right now.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics