Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
For how long do you try to burp a sleeping newborn

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 1:49 am
My four week old burps beautifully when he’s up but doesn’t burp when he’s sleeping. I try and try and nothing happens. Sometimes he gets uncomfortable later on and then burps in his crib on his own.

Am I giving up too fast? How long should I be burping him?

DrMom

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 1:55 am
I don't try to get any sleeping baby to burp, unless he fell asleep recently while nursing/drinking a bottle. t

imaima

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 2:07 am
I don't burp a sleeping newborn.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 3:47 am
I usually gave it ten minutes.
IN the beginning I left my newborn sleeping but I foudn that she didn't sleep comfortably till she burped.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 3:53 am
Most kids I just don't bother. It's not as necessary as we're primed to believe.

Some babies do seem to really need it though. The babies that will pop off from eating in the middle, and/or spit up large quantities do usually need to be burped regularly. I find that patting them for a count of 200 is enough to get stubborn burps out, and if not I stop there anyhow!

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 4:02 am
My baby hardly ever burped until she was about 8 weeks. That meant I would sit there trying and trying to no avail. I try for a few minutes, if she doesn't burp by then, high chance she won't. When she wakes in middle of the night to feed, I usually just put her down immediately and she goes right back to sleep for a few hours. She's very fussy generally so I don't think she'd sleep like that if she needed to burp.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 5:00 am
I have never burped a sleeping baby. When watching other people's babies, no one has ever asked me to burp their babies if they fell asleep in the middle of a bottle.

Usually, the mom's response was "B'H, she's FINALLY asleep!"

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 7:40 am
DrMom wrote:
I don't try to get any sleeping baby to burp, unless he fell asleep recently while nursing/drinking a bottle. t

Obviously I meant a baby who fell asleep while nursing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics