Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Cornell Sauce Sheet Pan Chicken With Summer Veggie Sizzle

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 12:47 pm
I've started working my way through a new cookbook which is all sheet pan chicken recipes - I.e. recipes that essentially have the chicken, veggies and starch all cooked in the oven on one pan. My ideal type of recipe.

I started with this one. Cornell Chicken is an iconic New York barbecue grilled chicken which was actually developed at Cornell University's agricultural department as a way to encourage eating chicken. Very Happy So I was intrigued as to how it would work on an oven.

It was quite good and very easy. Only thing I changed was using frozen corn kernels instead of fresh but if I make it again in the summer when corn is available, I would probably try it with fresh.

Cornell Sauce Sheet Pan Chicken With Summer Veggie Sizzle

Excerpt From: Cathy Erway. “Sheet Pan Chicken

If my family grilled chicken when I was growing up, it was either Mom’s Soy Sauce Chicken (this page) or chicken with Cornell sauce. My paternal grandparents spoke of Cornell sauce chicken as if it were as common as hamburgers or hot dogs. They lived in Elmira, New York, which is located fairly close to Cornell University, my dad and brother’s alma mater and the birthplace of this barbecue sauce recipe—a vinegary, herbal sauce made a shocking shade of white thanks to an egg used to emulsify the oil. It’s similar to Alabama-style white barbecue sauce, but it’s used to both marinate the chicken as well as baste it later when it’s on the grill. Skipping the basting part and moving it to a sheet pan, the chicken is still fragrant and juicy thanks to all that marinade. And you can add a few summer vegetables—which remind me of my grandfather’s vegetable patch upstate—in between the chicken pieces to absorb some of the juices.

Serves 4 to 6

for the marinade

1 egg
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (store-bought, or see the spice chart on this page to make your own)
1 (3- to 4-pound) whole chicken, halved, quartered, or spatchcocked (see this page), or use bone-in, skin-on pieces of all the same kind
1 pound red potatoes, diced
1 large zucchini, diced
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup corn kernels (cut from 2 ears fresh sweet corn)
½ cup fresh basil leaves, torn (optional)

Make the marinade: Beat the egg in a large bowl. While whisking continuously, slowly add the oil. Whisk in the vinegar, followed by the salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning.

Place the chicken in an airtight container or zip-top bag and pour in the marinade. Cover the container or seal the bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.

Preheat the oven to 450°F.

Combine the potatoes, zucchini, tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the salt, and the pepper on a sheet pan and toss to coat. Remove the chicken from the marinade, shaking off any excess, and nestle the chicken among the vegetables, skin-side up. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 400°F. Toss the vegetables, rotate the pan, and roast for another 20 minutes. Combine the corn and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small bowl. Scatter the corn over the sheet pan and roast for another 5 to 10 minutes, until a kitchen thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh registers 160°F. (If you’re using a halved chicken, you may want to cook it for a bit longer; remove the vegetables from the sheet pan before doing so if they’re already very well crisped and tender.)

Garnish with the basil (if using) and serve.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey