Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
How much to charge as a babysitter
1  2  Next

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 11:49 pm
I’m currently looking for something in bp.
Here’s the thing, I usually leave it up to the mother about the payment part. Usually some mothers pay 50-55 a day for 4 or 8 hours depending. Never more never less. Last job I had for a bit over a year I’d get 240 a week.

I don’t know how much people usually charge to babysit 1 or 2 kids at the most at their house. (I’m going to them and bringing my son with me)

How much should I be asking for per hour?

Thanks in advance.

If nothing works out I guess I’ll start looking for an official job but nervous about covid and stuff. I’ve only worked with people with special needs for almost 3 years and babysitting that’s about it. I’ve tried the grocery where I was doing orders and I’m not great at math or on the phone so cashier, secretary, assistant etc won’t do. Everyone of the managers said babysitting would be a great job for me cuz I have wayyyyyyy too much patience. I also don’t do so great at fast paced jobs.

I guess I’m good with babies and jobs that involve working with special needs but I kinda feel “stuck” at the same place.

Sorry this turned into a ramble 🙈

Einikel

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 12:01 am
When people go to babysitters it’s usually 6-7 dollars per kid. If your going to then you can probably charge a bit more but if you bring your baby along that may make the price go down. I think 8 dollars per kid per hour is reasonable but I never had a sitter come to me.

sub

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 12:04 am
15/hr + transportation

missknowitall

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 12:06 am
What about working as an assistant in one of the many special ed schools in boro park? You don't need experience they just need to think you are a good fit.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 12:06 am
Would you work in a playgroup? They may let your son join too

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 12:09 am
I live in Long Island. Two of my neighbors share a frum babysitter. The woman comes to one of their houses snd she brings her own baby as well. She gets paid $22 an hr and this is strictly childcare no cleaning.

tichellady

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 12:22 am
Decide on a rate. Don’t let the mom decide. This is a real job and you should treat it that way. I don’t know the rate in bp for a nanny. Let’s say it’s $20/hr for two kids. If you are bringing your own kid I would say charge $15/hr. If it’s one kid then charge $10-12 per hour, whatever seems reasonable to you. Ask about getting sick days, paid vacation days etc

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 2:08 am
Okay thanks!

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 2:09 am
flowerpower wrote:
Would you work in a playgroup? They may let your son join too

Maybe but I live in bp and might be that all kids might be Yiddish speaking

Idk Yiddish.

sub

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 11:17 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Maybe but I live in bp and might be that all kids might be Yiddish speaking

Idk Yiddish.

Try bjbp- they have babysitting and toddlers, yiddish not a requirement

HakarasHatov

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 12:10 pm
In queens for a post seminary girl to come to my house its $15/hr. Typical professional babysitters are $20/hr. When I drop off the going rate is $7 per kid. (People are usually paying more for you to come to them instead of having to drop off.

shmosmom

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 12:21 pm
HakarasHatov wrote:
In queens for a post seminary girl to come to my house its $15/hr. Typical professional babysitters are $20/hr. When I drop off the going rate is $7 per kid. (People are usually paying more for you to come to them instead of having to drop off.

This sounds about accurate, but you have to keep in mind that she wants to bring along her son. This kind of takes away the professional aspect.

HakarasHatov

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 12:22 pm
shmosmom wrote:
This sounds about accurate, but you have to keep in mind that she wants to bring along her son. This kind of takes away the professional aspect.
agreed.

Op, if you are willing to help out with any chores such as laundry or dishes during down time, that could add a fee bucks to the pay too or out weight the fact you are bringing your son. (Most babysitters from my experience do not help out with chores)

sky

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 12:29 pm
If going to the house to watch to babies $20hr. Don’t offer housekeeping. You are watching babies.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 12:51 pm
sky wrote:
If going to the house to watch to babies $20hr. Don’t offer housekeeping. You are watching babies.

This. And if you're bringing your own baby too, charge $15 an hour.
No housekeeping. Except cleaning up after yourself so the house is back in the order the lady left it in.

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 1:41 pm
Thanks! What if light housework is involved?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 2:05 pm
Einikel wrote:
When people go to babysitters it’s usually 6-7 dollars per kid. If your going to then you can probably charge a bit more but if you bring your baby along that may make the price go down. I think 8 dollars per kid per hour is reasonable but I never had a sitter come to me.

$8/hour is way too little.

If you babysit in your own home, and you watch three or four babies plus your own, you would end up earning more per hour.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 2:11 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Then go for the $20 an hour.

CDL

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 2:56 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Then go for the $20 an hour.
I think that’s too expensive. That might be the going rate, but not if she brings her baby with her.

HakarasHatov

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 3:07 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
what is “light housework”
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries