Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Why are girls' dresses so short???
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 8:50 pm
I'm trying to buy my girls Shabbos dresses, but although I think I checked ALL the Jewish websites, I can't find any non-maxi dresses for my slim 10 yo. I measured DD and she needs 39" to be a few inches past the knee, but apparently that length is for size 16!

I found one store that has the length in a 14 tall, but of course they don't have the dress I want in that size.

Do no other mothers not like knee-skimming dresses?

I'm just so frustrated!

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 8:55 pm
I also find this extremely annoying. I live OOT with no Jewish stores, so I only see what Jewish stores put online. Shopping there is only about 20% better than shopping online at a non-Jewish store.

I am MO and I am not extreme about skirt or dress length. I just want a comfortable 2 inches or so below the bottom of the knee cap. I shouldn't have to size up for that length in a store that supposedly caters to frum people.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 8:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm trying to buy my girls Shabbos dresses, but although I think I checked ALL the Jewish websites, I can't find any non-maxi dresses for my slim 10 yo. I measured DD and she needs 39" to be a few inches past the knee, but apparently that length is for size 16!

I found one store that has the length in a 14 tall, but of course they don't have the dress I want in that size.

Do no other mothers not like knee-skimming dresses?

I'm just so frustrated!

You aren't the only one frustrated. And my oldest girls is 7, and I have been having this issue for a few years.

Oh and BTW, despite my SN, I live in NY.

behappy2

That's what's in style now...but keep in mind they size down for their models making it look even shorter.

amother
Ecru

I think a lot of jewish kids are short so there aren't enough people complaining. Email the companies that you found were short and let them know how you feel. Although I'm happy this way because I never have to hem my very short kid's clothing.

zigi

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 8:59 pm
Frum sizing is bigger - besides for tottini. My 6 year old wears an 8. If you follow the charts it does fit

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 9:00 pm
This has been an issue the past few years. It's so frustrating that frum stores don't properly cater to frum families.

zigi

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 9:01 pm
behappy2 wrote:
That's what's in style now...but keep in mind they size down for their models making it look even shorter.

Yes you can tell when the sleeves fit funny on the pictures. I like when websites like fourth edition say that esti is 8 wearing a size 9 etc. And they have size and length charts

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 9:02 pm
I get pretty turned off when I see the models of Frum stores online where the skirts don't cover the knees.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 9:08 pm
Check out lulu's website, their things run long and I size down. My 9 year old wears size 6 lulu.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 9:09 pm
With all that being said... any leads to a reasonably priced dressy velvet dress with long sleeves and a decent length?

bobeli

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 9:18 pm
Definitely let the store know.
My dh is friends with one of the owners of a frum store and when I mentioned it, he said is the first time he heard about it and Probably I just want to dress my kids too frum because his merchandise is sold out every season.
So yea I size up.
The only very long things are robes and nightgowns.
I had good experience with shein for girls, you can see how long it is.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 9:51 pm
bobeli wrote:
Definitely let the store know.
My dh is friends with one of the owners of a frum store and when I mentioned it, he said is the first time he heard about it and Probably I just want to dress my kids too frum because his merchandise is sold out every season.
So yea I size up.
The only very long things are robes and nightgowns.
I had good experience with shein for girls, you can see how long it is.

I've been mentioning it to stores every season for years and it's always "the first time they're hearing about it." Classic store answer when anyone has a complaint.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:04 pm
My daughter wore a size 16 at 10 years old....skinny and tall and that worked for us. What's the problem in getting a bigger size which she needs??

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:06 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
My daughter wore a size 16 at 10 years old....skinny and tall and that worked for us. What's the problem in getting a bigger size which she needs??

When a well-fitting dress is sized up solely for length, then the top of the dress fits loose and too large. I put up with this at non-Jewish stores because I don't expect any better from them. It's frustrating to have to make the same compromise when I went out of my way to shop at a store that supposedly aims at a tznius crowd.

LittleMissMama

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:07 pm
This brand runs long. They include lengths so you can see for yourself. You do not need 39 inches for a tall 10 year old, most likely. Especially if it's a flare style. I'm 5"4" and 41 inches is pretty long on my petite frame.

https://fourtheditionshop.com

wiki

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 10:51 pm
If someone wanted to start a signed petition to Kidichic and other Jewish brands to please size their clothing to properly cover the knee (and to display models wearing their natural sizes, not sized down), they could probably get a ton of signatures and make a difference.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 11:32 pm
I live in Israel, but my very tall 9 year old wears a 14 or 16 in kiddichic and it actually fits her.
I don't think they run short. I think they run small all over.

Now the skirts in frum women's stores... Ugh.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 11:36 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I live in Israel, but my very tall 9 year old wears a 14 or 16 in kiddichic and it actually fits her.
I don't think they run short. I think they run small all over.

Now the skirts in frum women's stores... Ugh.

Kidichic sizing is so inaccurate and all over the place. Very miss-sized.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 11:45 pm
There isn't a one length per size. To cover the tallest kid in that specific size the shortest would have a skirt dragging on the floor. Some things are going to be short on tall kids regardless.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics