Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Stress free moving-tips?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:06 pm
Everyone is freaking me out about how stressful moving is, that it's one of the most stressful life events. I'm already so stressed out from picking tiles, paints, and what not and want to go to sleep for a long time. Does it really get worse? What are some good tips for not falling apart? My body has a tendency to do that...

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:22 pm
You can have the movers pack everything. I hoghly recommend that

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:25 pm
Definitely start packing. Stack boxes high in the basement, or against a wall of the dining room. It's always a much bigger job than you think it will be and slow and steady wins the race.

Start with nonessential like extra books and sefarim, nicer dishes and China closet items, clothes in storage. Whatever you're not ready to pack yet, do the sorting now. I can stress this enough.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:25 pm
Duplicate

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:26 pm
Is it really true that it's more stressful than divorce? Why do ppl say that?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Oh c'mon. If it wasn't planned for and there's not enough time, then it's uber stressful. But like anything else, if you break it down into little tasks, do it slowly, and plan for it, it's doable.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:31 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Oh c'mon. If it wasn't planned for and there's not enough time, then it's uber stressful. But like anything else, if you break it down into little tasks, do it slowly, and plan for it, it's doable.

Thank you! I've been divorced..and to have ppl say that moving is more stressful...I mean they did studies and all..so it's freaking me out...and someone said a lot of divorces after buying a house...

Refine

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:34 pm
I found it about double the amount of work as a pesach.
Label each box with what's in there and where you would like it to go.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:42 pm
Refine wrote:
I found it about double the amount of work as a pesach.
Label each box with what's in there and where you would like it to go.

Thanks!

Smile1234

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:13 pm
If you like to go techie I found that keeping track of what you pack in each box on a spreadsheet was really helpful. Google sheets on your phone (if you have a smartphone) can be a lifesaver.

“Hey where did I pack the diaper cream again?” Search the spreadsheet and find the box number. Easy enough.

Also stickers on the outside of the box color coded by room.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:28 pm
If you can, hire a cleaning lady to help you pack.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:31 pm
I moved twice. Never divorced but family did. I would never say it’s like divorce. Definitely takes longer than expected. Packing takes time. If you wrap fragile items it takes more time....
Place your valuables like jewelry, silver and important documents by a trusted person. Or place it in your car before the movers come so it doesn’t accidentally get lost or stolen.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:42 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
If you can, hire a cleaning lady to help you pack.

Why a cleaning lady? The moving company has professionals who pack and unpack. Hire them and leave the cleaning for the cleaning lady

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:44 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Why a cleaning lady? The moving company has professionals who pack and unpack. Hire them and leave the cleaning for the cleaning lady

It depends on the situation, but the moving company charges a lot and does it all in one shot, which can be stressful/tiring.
If you can do it over time, with help (from whomever), it might be better.

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:46 pm
I would think divorce involves moving usually.
Moving is stressful but also exciting. Focus on the good parts, try to laugh a lot, order takeout or ask friends to make you dinner. It will be challenging but worth it!

mig100

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

People say that???? What an awful thing to say! Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

HakarasHatov

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:24 pm
My mother just told me a story:

When she would prepare for vacation she would pick out all the things she wanted to bring but couldn't figure out how to get it in the suitcase. She would think and think of the right way to pack the suitcase and almost have a breakdown. Then her DH asked her whats wrong, she told him, then he walked over to the pile picked up a hand full and dropped it in the suitcase. He proceeded to do this until the pile was completely in the suitcase, then said “There, it’s done”. She was so relieved.[I]

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:25 pm
mig100 wrote:
People say that???? What an awful thing to say! Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

Look it up online. It was apparently studied...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:26 pm
HakarasHatov wrote:
My mother just told me a story:

When she would prepare for vacation she would pick out all the things she wanted to bring but couldn't figure out how to get it in the suitcase. She would think and think of the right way to pack the suitcase and almost have a breakdown. Then her DH asked her whats wrong, she told him, then he walked over to the pile picked up a hand full and dropped it in the suitcase. He proceeded to do this until the pile was completely in the suitcase, then said “There, it’s done”. She was so relieved.[I]

So what you're saying is it could be stressful but it doesn't have to be.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:33 pm
Oh pls I moved 4 times in as many years, and with a baby then a toddler then both of them. OK it's not as much stuff as older kids have but like it's just stuff. Go thru now, trash as much as you can, dump the rest in boxes. We liked gorilla box.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics