Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Stress free moving-tips?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:35 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Oh pls I moved 4 times in as many years, and with a baby then a toddler then both of them. OK it's not as much stuff as older kids have but like it's just stuff. Go thru now, trash as much as you can, dump the rest in boxes. We liked gorilla box.

what are gorilla boxes?

nanny24/7

Pack a separate suitcase or little backpacks of sorts for the basic essentials for all family members enough for at least the first 24 hours.
Like toothpaste, pajamas, toiletries, 1 pair of clothes, similar to how you would pack if you were going on an overnight trip.
This way you have a "breather" of not needing to scramble finding things in boxes right away.
Good luck!!

Rachel Shira

Don’t think so much about it being stressful. Make a plan and follow it, and get help for whatever you can to make it easier.

mig100

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Look it up online. It was apparently studied...

Yes moving is stressful. Its a verybdifferent type of stress as Tichellady says. Its an exciting type if stress. Ince the move is done hopefully your kife will be much improved. Thats why its a dumb thing to say

HakarasHatov

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So what you're saying is it could be stressful but it doesn't have to be.
yes, she would stress about how to organize and do it the “right” way. In summary take a box, empty something into the box (Clothes drawer, fleshig pots, decorations, etc) then label it. Yes its not exactly this simple with everything we need to pack but could simplify the process in general.

Also I second the get rid of stuff suggestion. If you have time before the move get rid of things you don't use. At least this way you don't have to unpack it.

oakandfig19

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:01 pm
Seems like kind of a weird comparison...yes moving is stressful but it’s temporary and usually for a good reason and you don’t have to see a therapist to heal from the pain. I just moved across the country, it was really really hard but ultimately very rewarding. Definitely pay for packing services etc if you are able to.

mig100

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:07 pm
oakandfig19 wrote:
Seems like kind of a weird comparison...yes moving is stressful but it’s temporary and usually for a good reason and you don’t have to see a therapist to heal from the pain. I just moved across the country, it was really really hard but ultimately very rewarding. Definitely pay for packing services etc if you are able to.

Yea this. This is what I meant

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:15 am
We're looking at moving soon and I'm also really stressed at how we will cope. But the new house isn't so far from where we are now and owners have already moved out. We're probably going to end up with an overlap anyway timewise, where we own the new house, and are still in our current place, so I'm thinking to do a few boxes at a time each evening. Load up the car, take the stuff in and that way it won't be as overwhelming.
What we did last time we moved was to roll up the bedding with pajamas inside as well and take that in our car. So when we got there we could just put the bedding on the beds, and we could put the kids straight to bed.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it really true that it's more stressful than divorce? Why do ppl say that?

Because people are idiots. I have no words...

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:32 am
I think it depends....if you move after not moving for a loooong time, it can indeed be very stressful.

I moved 3 years ago, after living in my previous house for 17 years. I think of our moving day as a day I prefer to just block out and not think about too much. It was that stressful. But B"H, it was only one day. Before that, life was pretty functional, including the weeks leading up to our move when we were busy packing but it was fine. And after, we settled in and it's B"H been a very good move for us.

Some tips I'd tell myself back then if I could:

*make sure you have a food plan for the day of moving and the day after. You need fuel. It's exhausting. And you don't know where things are or which location you're at, or if things will run late and you get delayed...but you need meals for you and your family.

*leave yourself a few days, such that if you don't finish packing, you may end up finishing up a few things yourself and bring them over in the next few days.

*have a cleaning crew clean up after in your old home. Have a cleaning crew clean up your new home before you move in. If you can get cleaning help soon after you move, you will need that too. (I scrubbed the bathrooms that night, because the movers used it and we're pretty fastidious about such things.)

*I moved my kitchen stuff myself. Got these huge grey rubber bins from a g'mach, loaded all my china, dishes, etc..into them and moved them in my car and unpacked and had my kitchen set up. Nothing broke B"H.
ETA and I got a thing of cleaning wipes (method or 7th generation, don't remember) and used them to wipe down the inside and front of each cabinet before unloading. I had new appliances so B"H didn't have to clean those.

Make sure to label every box you pack, with what's inside and where it goes and on which floor (e.g. basement, playroom. Upstairs - room #1...). My sister had moved and gave me these left-over label stickers. Kitchen. Living Room. and numbers. Assign a number to each bedroom and hang on the door, so the movers know that a #1 goes to bedroom #1, and so on and so forth.

Last edited by Chayalle on Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:33 am
Oh, and while you are packing, throw out whatever you don't need. Declutter. I think everyone should pretend to move every once in a while, in order to get rid of stuff. If it ain't worth paying the mover to move it, you don't need it.

You're very welcome.

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:33 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
We're looking at moving soon and I'm also really stressed at how we will cope. But the new house isn't so far from where we are now and owners have already moved out. We're probably going to end up with an overlap anyway timewise, where we own the new house, and are still in our current place, so I'm thinking to do a few boxes at a time each evening. Load up the car, take the stuff in and that way it won't be as overwhelming.
What we did last time we moved was to roll up the bedding with pajamas inside as well and take that in our car. So when we got there we could just put the bedding on the beds, and we could put the kids straight to bed.

Having an overlap will make everything much easier

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:36 am
And yeah, have a garbage bag for each member of the family labeled, with their linen/bed stuff, to go right on their beds. This is not the day to do laundry. I remember I switched all linen a few days before, and that morning everyone loaded their bag, and in the new house it went right on the beds so everyone had where to sleep.

sari00

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:45 am
Remember it's just one day, give yourself time to unpack... it's a lot. But it's well worth it 👌
Put all your clothes, kids clothes and towels, linen blankets into suitcases... this way you will have everything you need for the moving day, and day after accessible...

Good night sleep and cleaning help, try to get as much help with babysitting, meals... some communities ppl offer help- others you may want to reach out for help

Much hatzlacha with the move should bring you much Mazel and Bracha!

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 1:02 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I think it depends....if you move after not moving for a loooong time, it can indeed be very stressful.

I moved 3 years ago, after living in my previous house for 17 years. I think of our moving day as a day I prefer to just block out and not think about too much. It was that stressful. But B"H, it was only one day. Before that, life was pretty functional, including the weeks leading up to our move when we were busy packing but it was fine. And after, we settled in and it's B"H been a very good move for us.

Some tips I'd tell myself back then if I could:

*make sure you have a food plan for the day of moving and the day after. You need fuel. It's exhausting. And you don't know where things are or which location you're at, or if things will run late and you get delayed...but you need meals for you and your family.

*leave yourself a few days, such that if you don't finish packing, you may end up finishing up a few things yourself and bring them over in the next few days.

*have a cleaning crew clean up after in your old home. Have a cleaning crew clean up your new home before you move in. If you can get cleaning help soon after you move, you will need that too. (I scrubbed the bathrooms that night, because the movers used it and we're pretty fastidious about such things.)

*I moved my kitchen stuff myself. Got these huge grey rubber bins from a g'mach, loaded all my china, dishes, etc..into them and moved them in my car and unpacked and had my kitchen set up. Nothing broke B"H.
ETA and I got a thing of cleaning wipes (method or 7th generation, don't remember) and used them to wipe down the inside and front of each cabinet before unloading. I had new appliances so B"H didn't have to clean those.

Make sure to label every box you pack, with what's inside and where it goes and on which floor (e.g. basement, playroom. Upstairs - room #1...). My sister had moved and gave me these left-over label stickers. Kitchen. Living Room. and numbers. Assign a number to each bedroom and hang on the door, so the movers know that a #1 goes to bedroom #1, and so on and so forth.

How did you pack the dishes?

amother
White

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 2:24 pm
the more minimal the household the easier. declutter what you can. label label label and number EVERY single box. have a numbered list.

for the day of moving: pack suitcases the way you would pack for a vacation (pyjamas, sleeping bags or linen, ready to eat food, disposable cutlery/plates, fresh underwaear and clothes for 3 days for every family member, important documnets, formula/pacifiers, ibuprofen, tampons, tdilin, everything you NEEED and DONT want to search for...)

southernbubby

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 3:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So what you're saying is it could be stressful but it doesn't have to be.

It's a lot of work.
First you have to decide what to take and what to leave behind. It's like any other decluttering that requires you to part with things.
We took 100 pounds of old documents to the shredder and at least another 100 pounds of shaimos to be buried. People tend to accumulate things that are not worth packing and moving and storing.
Anything breakable needs to be wrapped so unless the dishes are valuable, it may pay to buy new ones at your destination.
The only stress free tip that I can think of is to label each box and arrange for cleaning help at your destination. Everything else will require sorting, wrapping and packing.

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 3:44 pm
Its not stressful but it takes time.
Start with the things you don't need. Label each box, and put a different color paper for each room. Like this the movers know where to put each box.
Books and seforim pack in small boxes, if you use egg boxes it gets to heavy to lift.
The movers also have wardrobe boxes, so the hanging closet stuff dont need to be packed. They just hang them in the boxes.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 4:14 pm
Color code each box and then put that color sticker on each room's door frame in the new home, so movers put each box in the right place when you arrive.

In addition to color coding, I wrote little descriptions on each box. It helped a lot when we first got there and were looking to unpack the important items first. When we were packing we didn't always know what would be important so the descriptions were helpful. The more organized you are when you pack, the easier it will be to unpack.

Ask your movers ahead of time if they will provide wardrobe boxes. This way you can leave all your hanging items as is and they will transfer it all to the hanging boxes, and then to the new closets when you get there.

Books & sefarim are very heavy and can bust open the boxes. Pack thoughtfully, filling halfway and then adding lightweight items, or use small boxes that don't hold so much. Speak to the movers ahead of time about what they suggest for the Shas. Sometimes they want you to leave them out and will tie them in twine or wrap them in heavy duty saran wrap when they get there.

Large toys like containers of blocks, dollhouses, toy kitchen should just be secured shut/removable pieces taped down. They go into the truck as is.

Use paper towels or small bubble wrap to wrap dishes but it will cost a lot. Newspapers are an option too but you may need to wash the dishes when you unpack.

If you're moving on a Sunday, aim to finish packing before shabbos. Packing always takes longer than you expect. Try to get invited out for the shabbos meals.

Make sure you have fresh linen on the beds before moving (you can change them before shabbos), roll everything up neatly on each bed and place in a garbage bag, and when you get to the new place, all you need to do is put on the fitted sheet and then lay out the comforter that's already encased in the duvet and covered pillows. Even better, the last time we moved we bought inexpensive mattress zipper protectors for the move and they were very helpful. That way the dirty moving plastics and blankets didn't touch our mattresses. We kept the sheets on the mattress so we wouldn't have to redo the beds. And we just ripped the protectors off when we were done.

Keep a separate bag of items you'll need as soon as you get to the new home with Windex, paper towels, hammer, food, etc.

Have the kids sleep elsewhere the night before if possible and come back the next day after the movers leave.

Buy and serve pizza for lunch for you and the movers. Order in for dinner delivery the day you arrive in your new home once the movers leave.

You can do this! 💪

Frumme

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 4:33 pm
I know others have said to declutter as you pack, but I really don't recommend it. You will take 3x the time to pack and it will be more stressful and exhausting. Decluttering can be emotionally draining and you need your head in the game during a move as much as possible.

If you can, start decluttering a good month or three before you move. Put everything away nicely. Then after everything is decluttered and neatly stored, when it's time to pack for the move you will have a much more relaxed atmosphere when packing than if you were decluttering as well as packing. It'll still be a little stressful, of course, but it's a good feeling to know that everything in your cabinets is what you actually want to take with you into your new home. Smile
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics