Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Lakewood Food Boxes Locations
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 1:40 am
Amarante wrote:
The lunches are in lieu of subsidized free lunches served in school. Aren't most yeshivas and other Jewish schools in session in NYC. They wouldn't be able to use funding to hand out food since the money is used to prepare the food served to the students.

I don't know how Lakewood funded their lunches as they seemed to be more funded by community donations and are in addition to school lunches.

Maybe someone who is familiar with how Lakewood funds the boxes can offer some insight.

This is just a surmise based on how picking up food was being funded. It was an exemption that was carved out since normally the food is supposed to be eaten on premises.

Lakewood yeshivos are most definitely open, just as Brooklyn ones. That's why I'm curious.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 1:42 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
The govt is funding breakfast and lunch for the rest of the school year. In lkwd you can get for the days the kids dont get lunch in school which is friday,shabbos and sunday. Young kids in playgroup that dont get in school can get for 7 days. In addition there are no lunch fees from the schools this year because the govt is paying for everyone...even if not eligible for free or reduced lunch.

Fascinating. Must be the state gov't.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 5:47 am
We didn’t understand either. None of if makes sense. We never got meals for kids to eat over the weekend until covid hit. Everything to do with covid makes absolutely no sense at all.

Gelbsteins box this week was-
Bake your own bagels (frozen dough)
Frozen pizza bagels
Orange juice
Milk
2 lebens for 4 kids
2 unripe avocados
1 unripe mango
A bag of this new item that is coming in many boxes called falafel bites
A package of cookies
A small container tuna (enough for 1 person)
2 small packages chummus
3 individual small portions of salsa and tacos - must be a new item, never saw it before
Package if lox
Vacuum sealed package of unsliced pastrami
A large cucumber

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 5:58 am
Still doesn't make sense to me. If it's gvmt from need, why doesn't any place offer it in Boro Park? Why don't we at least get the weekend boxes? We are also off Friday, Shabbos, Sunday. And my little one in playgroup, also doesn't recieve any food soi would be eligible for the week box also. Why doesn't a single place I n Boro Park offer this? What's different in Lakewood???

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 8:10 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
They started doing just a delivery service. You have to sign up and they deliver it. Its already done for this week.
. I was going to sign up for this week but they were out. Did anyone get and what was inside box? Thank you.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 8:12 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Still doesn't make sense to me. If it's gvmt from need, why doesn't any place offer it in Boro Park? Why don't we at least get the weekend boxes? We are also off Friday, Shabbos, Sunday. And my little one in playgroup, also doesn't recieve any food soi would be eligible for the week box also. Why doesn't a single place I n Boro Park offer this? What's different in Lakewood???

No clue!
There must be some NJ state funding that has to be used towards food or towards covid... we don’t understand either.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 8:19 am
Tries2BGoodMom wrote:
. I was going to sign up for this week but they were out. Did anyone get and what was inside box? Thank you.

I got last week but they were out of boxes 2 hours after they posted to sign up this week so I didn’t get.
It was a pretty decent box. Hard to remember everything but I’ll try.

A cantaloupe
1 milks -red and blue
A bag of lotus flavored popcorn
A bakery package of blondies/brownies
A package of sliced Muenster cheese
4 plums (they weren’t good)
There must have been a freezer item like frozen potato kinishes but I can’t remember
There were a couple of other things but I can’t remember now- sorry

The drop off was amazing! No going out and waiting in line! It came at around 12pm on Thursday

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:32 am
Amarante wrote:
As I originally posted, I think funding food is wonderful but just trying to understand why NYC would be different than Lakewood.

I don't think it still is Federal funding so it must be either state or city. And wasn't there a bit of subsidy from private sources - I remember Lakewood had very subsidized Pesach boxes.
The Pesach boxes were private funding. The weekend boxes aren’t. It’s probably a state thing.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:34 am
It’s not just Lakewood.

Baltimore is also getting. They even get supper for the week for all children. The schools already informed parents what they will be getting toe pesach so they can adjust their orders.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 11:55 am
go figure - I thought the Gelbsteins box was so plentiful and useful, but I guess perspective is everything...
In my box I received:
Bag of avacados (although they weren't ripe, all it takes is a day or 2)
Bag of mandarins
Box of pizza bagels
Box of bake your own bagels
package of lox
container of ready made tuna
Chummus
Bag of french fries
2 boxes of pixie pops
3 lebens
2 large cucumbers
large chunk of pastrami
orange juice
bag of pita chips
graham crackers with chocolate dip (box that came with 3)

milk comes separate - as much or as little as you want

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 12:01 pm
I got a box this week with the following:

Box of hamentashen
Pomodori Stuffed veg and cheese pizza (really yummy )
Orange Juice
Box of soft pretzels
Frosted Flakes
Herring
Kichel
Potato Salad
Pineapple
Milk
6 cortland apples
Bag of big tricolored peppers
French Fries
I cant remember if there was anything else.
It was a really good box!!!

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 12:19 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I got a box this week with the following:

Box of hamentashen
Pomodori Stuffed veg and cheese pizza (really yummy )
Orange Juice
Box of soft pretzels
Frosted Flakes
Herring
Kichel
Potato Salad
Pineapple
Milk
6 cortland apples
Bag of big tricolored peppers
French Fries
I cant remember if there was anything else.
It was a really good box!!!

Where was your box from?

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 1:32 pm
I dont know about NY, but the reason some schools here do it is because they get a nice amount of money per box besides what they get for the food, for administrative expenses. Also the schools need to use money from this towards only certain things. For example I know my kids school used the money towards a kitchen in the school.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 1:41 pm
In Passaic we also get a weekly box. There is no school lunch for anyone so all kids are eligible for the weekly box. Not sure if it's state or federal funded.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 1:44 pm
Can anyone post info on boxes with pesach products either for this week or for the next to weeks when the kids are off.
All info would be helpful
Thanks

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 2:00 pm
There was a sign up in bmg that a school will be distributing boxes there. I didn’t get the details because my kids’ school said they would be distributing boxes as well. Best place to look is on hefkervelt. There’s going to be a lot of options for Pesach.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 4:35 pm
thanks!
if anyone has specifics from their kids school that is open to the public can you post here too?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 7:16 pm
Bais Faiga sent home a note today. This weeks box is being a chometz box with mostly shabbos food. Next week is being the pesach box. They are having 3.4.5 kids portion boxes and you need to have a form with ur info filled out and given in when you pick up

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 7:18 pm
Who is doing a pesach box this week?

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 7:24 pm
USDA is funding meals through the summer of ‘21.

It’s not just Lakewood.
Baltimore gets suppers and weekends.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries