Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
How do you serve chicken soup to guests?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 1:11 am
Just the broth? Do you give chicken and vegetables too? Do you ask them what they want and put those specific things in their bowl?

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 1:25 am
I ask them which veggies they want m. I don’t o it the chicken into the soup bowl

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 1:26 am
Ask what want unless it’s too many ppl for that I’m which case I give everyone a bit of everything and they can leave over what they don’t want

DREAMING

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 1:45 am
Broth, noodles for everyone. Sometimes a carrot

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 1:55 am
Thank you!

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 3:26 am
Broth, carrots, matzah ball for everyone. Chicken and other vegetables just for my kids because I know they like them.

Rappel

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 3:29 am
I give the guests whatever they want, and then serve my kids

s c

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 6:06 am
I strain my soup because we don't like everything in it and serve with carrots and kneidlech. Guests will usually say if they don't want kneidlech

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 6:50 am
I don't make chicken soup, but my MIL will ask every person what they want in their bowl. My mother makes chicken soup twice a year and she has no patience for that. She serves plain broth and then brings out bowls of vegetables to pass around the table so everyone can add whatever they like to their own bowls.

DVOM

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 6:54 am
We are real chicken soup people Smile

We often will bring the pot to the table so that it's easier to take everyone's orders.

There is usually noodles, homemade egg noodles, matza balls, chicken, carrots, zucchini, tomato, red pepper and celery.

Moonlight

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 6:54 am
I ask which vegies.
My mother also serves plain and then puts all the veggies in a serving dish so everyone can help themselves
My mil puts vegies in all bowls and then my kids wont touch it

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 9:08 am
I take custom orders.
I rarely make chicken soup when we are more than 2 above our family, as I use it as an excuse to make 2 different soups (ones which not everyone in my family eats) when I have extra people to eat it.
My current favorite is carrot ginger, which DH won’t even try.
I love soup!

watergirl

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 9:20 am
I ask what each person wants in their soup. Why would I just assume everyone likes the same thing? Just like I know my husband likes everything and my son likes only carrots and chicken and my daughter likes just chicken and my other son will lose his mind if he sees a single piece of celery... I ask each guest what they would like (in my pot, I have chicken, carrots, celery, onion, sweet potato, and either noodles or matza balls).

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 9:22 am
I always ask my guests. I’d rather not waste more than I have to

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 10:40 am
I get annoyed with "custom orders". As we say often in our home: You get what you get and you don't get upset.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 11:56 am
The only thing I ask about is kneidlach because those are easy to leave out. We have one guest who never eats veggies so we fill her bowl first when the veggies are still settled to the bottom. But if a carrot slice ends up in her bowl, I'm not removing it.

There was a time when I tried to be the perfect hostess and give everyone a "custom order". Then I got therapy and sanity was restored.

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 1:46 pm
Usually custom orders; when there are a lot of people, serve clear broth and put a serving bowl of the veggies on the table to be passed around. Soup veggies don't make for an aesthetic presentation, but it's the most efficient way to make everyone happy.

Fave

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 1:49 pm
How do you serve the chicken in the soup? You shred it after cooking?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 1:53 pm
I don't serve the chicken in the soup, excepting one BIL who favors it.

Otherwise, I ask people what they want, which is usually soup, noodles, matzo ball, and veggies (zucchini, carrot, turnip, parsnip, sweet potato, celery.)

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 2:42 pm
we dont put vegetables in the soup
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics