Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Pelta?

rnidich

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 3:33 am
My grandmother's name was Fruma Pelta. Has anyone heard of the name Pelta? Where does it come from?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 9:21 am
According to what I found, this would be from the Middle Ages Judeo-French name Bellette (pet form of Belle), that was modified with a Yiddish accent after centuries of use in Poland/Russia/Germany...

Belle > Bellette > Pelet > Pelta

amother

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 3:50 pm
rnidich wrote:
My grandmother's name was Fruma Pelta. Has anyone heard of the name Pelta? Where does it come from?

My mother's name is Pelta and she was named for her father's mother who was from Russia.

mom7270

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 3:56 pm
ive never heard of pelta before, what would you use as a nickname? pelti, pelli? it can be cute..does anyone know what it means?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 4:11 pm
mom7270 wrote:
ive never heard of pelta before, what would you use as a nickname? pelti, pelli? it can be cute..does anyone know what it means?

According to what I found, this would be from the Middle Ages Judeo-French name Bellette (pet form of Belle), that was modified with a Yiddish accent after centuries of use in Poland/Russia/Germany...

Belle > Bellette > Pelet > Pelta

it means "beautiful", or more precisely, it comes from a name meaning beautiful

Squash

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 6:27 pm
I've heard of pella before, but never pelta.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names