Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Most original idea for covering counters on pesach
Previous  1  2  3  Next

honey36

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 10:36 am
I heard it's best to use corrugated plastic since there's a space in the middle so in case you put some hot down on it, it's not a problem. If it's just a layer of foil or plastic directly on the chometz counter, could be an issue...

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 10:38 am
honey36 wrote:
I heard it's best to use corrugated plastic since there's a space in the middle so in case you put some hot down on it, it's not a problem. If it's just a layer of foil or plastic directly on the chometz counter, could be an issue...

Wouldn't that melt the plastic? I don't put hot things on my counters anyway without a towel or trivet.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 10:41 am
It's very hard and thick plastic.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 10:49 am
We buy new sheets od corrugated plastic each year. They are quite cheap. I put foil around the sinks since I don’t have patience to cut the Plastic just right.
Dh’s friend said that there’s an inyan to make your kitchen look like a spaceship.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 10:51 am
Iymnok wrote:
We buy new sheets od corrugated plastic each year. They are quite cheap. I put foil around the sinks since I don’t have patience to cut the Plastic just right.
Dh’s friend said that there’s an inyan to make your kitchen look like a spaceship.

We reuse ours because it's so complicated to cut all the correct holes and counter measurements! How long does it take you to cut every year?

honey36

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:39 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Wouldn't that melt the plastic? I don't put hot things on my counters anyway without a towel or trivet.

Yes, it might melt the plastic. I don't put anything hot down either, but some people might put something hot directly on foil or something that wouldn't melt. Or by accident put something hot on the plastic for a few seconds in which case it probably wouldn't melt depending how hot it is...

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 1:13 pm
watergirl wrote:
Before we had our granite counters, we did this and it was SO CHEAP AND EASY!!

Line the counters first with heavy duty foil. Do not skip this step. Then, purchase linoleum tile STICKERS from home depot. They are super cheap. Peel off the back and stick it to the foil. They are super easy to cut to size. You can easily wipe these down as needed on pesach and it makes a great surface. When pesach is over, just peel off the whole thing and discard. It was maaaaaaybe $30 for our whole kitchen each year (various kitchens; we rented for a long time).
Genius Idea! I love it! And it seems you can put down hot stuff on it as well! Thanks

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 1:37 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
I and everyone else I know uses corrugated plastic from Center of Town. We cut it with razors to fit around sinks and electrical outlets.

Same

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 1:40 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
We reuse ours because it's so complicated to cut all the correct holes and counter measurements! How long does it take you to cut every year?

We reuse them but only for about 2/3 years max because they get a bit gross after that.. I'd love to buy new every year but its quite some work for dh to cut around it all.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 1:41 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

Mine has melted a little, especially under the hot plate but now we put the hotplate on our electric hob

groovy1224

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 2:00 pm
watergirl wrote:
Before we had our granite counters, we did this and it was SO CHEAP AND EASY!!

Line the counters first with heavy duty foil. Do not skip this step. Then, purchase linoleum tile STICKERS from home depot. They are super cheap. Peel off the back and stick it to the foil. They are super easy to cut to size. You can easily wipe these down as needed on pesach and it makes a great surface. When pesach is over, just peel off the whole thing and discard. It was maaaaaaybe $30 for our whole kitchen each year (various kitchens; we rented for a long time).

How does this stay on the counter though? Aren't the tile stickers only sticking to the foil?

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 2:06 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
How does this stay on the counter though? Aren't the tile stickers only sticking to the foil?

It just does. It's awesome. The foil is in the huge sheets (the Costco rolls) and it all just stays down perfectly. You can wipe it, clean it, I would actually say it's easier than kashering the counters (which is what we do now that we can).

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 2:07 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Genius Idea! I love it! And it seems you can put down hot stuff on it as well! Thanks

YES! You totally can put hot things on it. It really works perfectly. Some years the cheapest tiles were really ugly but we went with it because its for a week so we can deal.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 2:29 pm
Yes, we've done this for years. You can buy nicer looking ones on Amazon for $10-$20 (I have used these https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....b3dee in the past.)

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 9:17 pm
Crookshanks wrote:

I redo it every year and it doesn’t take more than 15-20 minutes. It’s only the corner sink that’s an issue. But I still want the fresh look.
Cleaning it after pesach probably takes longer. I would rather dump.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 1:15 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....f6fd3

I use this. Easy to cut and holds up well

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 1:25 am
What holes do you cut around? I use 3 full pieces for the counters and cut to fill the spaces. One for the kitchen table.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 3:15 am
Iymnok wrote:
What holes do you cut around? I use 3 full pieces for the counters and cut to fill the spaces. One for the kitchen table.

Sinks. Some do outlets as well if you put them up the walls. We just do short upstand style ones for the walls so no outlets are there yet.

notna

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 3:20 am
For those who use the corrugated cardboard, what size does it come in? Where I live, it's only available in 24 " deep, but my counters are 26" deep so I'm left with a bit uncovered.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 3:36 am
notna wrote:
For those who use the corrugated cardboard, what size does it come in? Where I live, it's only available in 24 " deep, but my counters are 26" deep so I'm left with a bit uncovered.

I don't know the size but they cover my whole surfaces.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics