Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
WWYD - lighting store that decorator sent me too was so
Previous  1  2  3  Next

number

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 8:00 pm
It’s odd because my understanding is some designers have an “in” at some shops and can actually get their clients a good deal. And in this scenario op is actually overpaying so her designer can get her kickback. The only thing I can think of is to choose your designer more carefully next time and ask point blank if she earns a commission from your purchases? It def would feel shady to me, even if it’s “accepted practice”.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 8:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Exactly! Same pieces, same model number, same color. Both had it in stock. I’m really annoyed....

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, this is really frustrating and maybe even a bit dishonest. She's supposed to help you find the best deal. She probably wants to make the biggest commission.
Did you tell her about it?

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 8:34 pm
Bleemee wrote:
Can you explain? Not sure how it answers the question.
If the designer is getting commission and the client gives a range, won’t she automatically suggest the most expensive in that range? If not, why wouldn’t she? And she probably won’t be trying to get best bang for buck.

I can only speak from my personal experience as my designer would often recommend less expensive alternatives. For example, instead of Hunter Douglas motorized shades, she recommended a brand that was wasn’t advertised and was used by the trades and it was less expensive but of better quality. She had originally suggested a certain wood floor but when I went to look at flooring, I liked one that was more expensive.

I selected the Toto toilet style I liked and the price she got with her trade pricing was less than I wouid have paid even with her markup.

I can’t vouch for every designer. However generally designers do not charge by the hour and then also mark up purchases. That already is a bit piggish. They either make their money by charging a percentage of what is purchased or they charge hourly rate and you purchase directly although some will pass through their discount when they charge hourly.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 8:44 pm
Many decorators will pass the savings on to you, especially if you include that in your contract.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 9:10 pm
It’s standard for a decorator to get a referral fee/commission from a store. All the big box stores do it- why would you think it’s illegal???

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 9:47 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Many decorators will pass the savings on to you, especially if you include that in your contract.

All reputable designers pass through savings if it is on a traditional cost plus markup. The percentage of the markup from their trade discounted price is in the contract.

If a designer is working on an hourly basis, that is completely different and the scope of their services will be specified in the contract. In general, hourly contracts are used when the client doesn't want to use the designer to actually purchase items or design the whole project so they will be used for smaller aspects or to help work out a design board or utilize existing purchases with a few new purchases. They are often used when it makes no sense to use a markup based on the scope of the project. Very often smaller projects will be charged on an hourly basis. Or a designer will charge by the hour to take a client shopping - this is common when you want access to the design centers which are to the trade only.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:18 pm
Which was the reasonably priced lighting store?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:18 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Did you tell her?

What’s the point?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:36 pm
Which was the reasonably priced lighting store?

Can you post under your screen name and I’ll pm you
Don’t want ppl to recognize me from the story

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What’s the point?

Maybe she can make it up to you another way. Give you some free design service. Get you a refund. At least put her on notice.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:44 pm
Maybe she can make it up to you another way. Give you some free design service. Get you a refund. At least put her on notice.

I’m done with her..:..

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 12:41 am
Op you live and learn.
Everyone has such experiences when using a designer....it sucks.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 12:46 am
This is why I don’t like the interior design industry. A lot of them are making money on you spending money. There is zero incentive to shop around or price things out. They just push you to the limit of your budget. And pressure you to spend.
Example: millwork - instead of pricing out shop drawings with 3 different companies, they use one specific guy who might be the most expensive in town. And then, instead of offering maple as a line item, as an alternative to walnut, they don’t even discuss the different species with you and boom, there goes a heck of a lot of money you did not need to spend.

twizzlers1

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 2:15 am
I asked my designer up front if she takes a commission. If she does I feel like she doesn't have my best interest in mind. It is someone that I know impressed and she told me that she does not work that way. She is new in the business and I told her she should stick with his practice because people would rather pay her a little bit more up front and know that she is looking out for their best interest not hers.I'm sorry this happened to you It is very frustrating! Especially when you are within a budget and every little thing adds up.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 12:11 pm
I really appreciate all the tips about the way designers work. I never had a clue about this before. Thanks

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 2:39 pm
OP, I'm sorry about what you went through. It really doesn't sound right and I would definitely take it up with the designer.
I do want to say about commission in general, that some posters are making it out to be a crime. It isn't. From this one sided story it seems that the designer was extremely unfair and unethical, but it doesn't have to be that way.
I often recommend that existing clients or prospects who I cannot service go to another service provider, and yes, I do get commission. I only send them to vetted providers and/or I advise them to do their own due diligence. I have multiple providers I refer to, so I feel that I can have my client's best interest in mind while making a commission as well. It has taken time for me to build up that network and it takes time for me to point prospects in the right direction so I feel that I deserve that commission.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 3:22 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
OP, I'm sorry about what you went through. It really doesn't sound right and I would definitely take it up with the designer.
I do want to say about commission in general, that some posters are making it out to be a crime. It isn't. From this one sided story it seems that the designer was extremely unfair and unethical, but it doesn't have to be that way.
I often recommend that existing clients or prospects who I cannot service go to another service provider, and yes, I do get commission. I only send them to vetted providers and/or I advise them to do their own due diligence. I have multiple providers I refer to, so I feel that I can have my client's best interest in mind while making a commission as well. It has taken time for me to build up that network and it takes time for me to point prospects in the right direction so I feel that I deserve that commission.

But Op said she paid her a very very high hourly rate! Isn't that why you pay one designer more than another one?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 3:26 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
But Op said she paid her a very very high hourly rate! Isn't that why you pay one designer more than another one?

Like I said, from OP it doesn't sound like her designer acted ethical at all. But for people who are bashing the commission/referral system, its not a shady thing to take part in.
FYI, I am not a designer. I am in a very different field.
If I were a designer, I would want to have partnerships with multiple lighting stores so that I can refer clients to the best place for their needs. Also, the commission I get is never so high that it pays to compromise my integrity. Halacha/hashkafa aside, word gets around...

number

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:50 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Like I said, from OP it doesn't sound like her designer acted ethical at all. But for people who are bashing the commission/referral system, its not a shady thing to take part in.
FYI, I am not a designer. I am in a very different field.
If I were a designer, I would want to have partnerships with multiple lighting stores so that I can refer clients to the best place for their needs. Also, the commission I get is never so high that it pays to compromise my integrity. Halacha/hashkafa aside, word gets around...
IMO commissions should be disclosed. As per the FTC any online recommendations that will lead to a commission need to be disclosed upfront. I understand that offering a recommendation offline may allow you to refer and earn a commission without disclosure but yes, it feels a little shady.

number

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 7:01 pm
Actually what this designer did was illegal in nj, and I’d imagine most states. The difference seems to be that you’d get in trouble with the state rather than federal.

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics