Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
If you had COVID with a newborn

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 3:36 am
My dh has COVID for almost 2 weeks and now I tested positive. since I am mostly asymptomatic bh I have been doing all the childcare. I have a newborn and am really nervous about giving it to the baby. Did anyone have it and their newborn was ok? The baby was very exposed until I got the positive so I feel like I’m too late to the be careful game. I also can’t make myself crazy because I do have to hold and feed the baby a lot.

Please tell me your experience.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 4:07 am
We had it when baby was a month old. I didn't kiss my baby (other than her feet) and tried not to breathe on her when feeding or holding her. I doubt my efforts made a diff but B"H she didn't get it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 4:10 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
We had it when baby was a month old. I didn't kiss my baby (other than her feet) and tried not to breathe on her when feeding or holding her. I doubt my efforts made a diff but B"H she didn't get it.

I feel like what’s the point if I already did all that (no symptoms so I didn’t think I had it).

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 4:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I feel like what’s the point if I already did all that (no symptoms so I didn’t think I had it).

Because as a mom I was worried about my baby and tried as best as I could to keep her safe.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 4:13 am
Not me personally, but I've recently spoken to two people in this situation.

In both cases the babies tested positive, but were asymptomatic. One of them delayed the bris as a precaution. The other the diagnosis was after the bris and they had no trouble with it.

One of the mothers checked the babies temperature twice daily. The highest it went was 37.1. Both babies continued eating and gaining weight as normal. The official guidelines are to wear a mask while nursing or in other close contact.

Of course, it isn't an ideal situation, but since your already there you don't need to worry too much. Be in touch with your doctor if you notice any rash, fever, or change in general behaviour.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 4:17 am
I had a bad case of covid was stuck in bed for a week and had a 3 month old baby first 4 days nursed the baby Then I got dehydrated was given fluids through IV so baby got bottles but was still in contact with her throughout this baby was bh 100% fine started taking the zelenko prescribed medications and 12 hours after I was a new person b”h.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 4:33 am
I’m so nervous! And how am I not going to kiss my baby? I’m the biggest hugger and kisser! I know I know, if I love my baby I won’t but it’s so hard.

small bean

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 5:01 am
My brother/sil had this, baby was less than a month. The baby did get fever. They did take her to the hospital as a precaution and to test for other things. The baby was fine BH. They were out in 36 hours.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 5:04 am
Had it with a 2 month old baby. I continued breastfeeding and I don't know if the baby had it or not, the baby didn't show any symptoms.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 5:20 am
My whole family had it with a 2 month old baby. Baby showed no symptoms. I hugged and kissed the baby because by the time we knew it was corona he had already been exposed.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:03 am
We had it with a 6 week old baby. I suspect that she had it before me (a gift from her older siblings). She seemed a bit warm and had seemed weaker for a day or so, but definitely no real fever. After that she was fine.
I never tested her as it passed so quickly and I got sick next, but in a house full of Corona in assume thats what it was.

tweety1

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 8:22 am
I had it with a 4 month old. Baby got a low grade fever that lasted for abt 8-12 hrs not more. A yr later and is bh doing great.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 8:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m so nervous! And how am I not going to kiss my baby? I’m the biggest hugger and kisser! I know I know, if I love my baby I won’t but it’s so hard.

I feel you. I have the same quandary with my baby whenever I or my other children get sick. But in the end, even though I try being super careful, the baby usually ends up getting it anyway. And then I feel terrible for having kept my distance. Your baby was likely already exposed and will keep being exposed even without hugs and kisses. I would go with hugging and kissing - at this point I think it’s essential for health.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 8:30 am
Even before covid was around, when I had a terrible cold when my baby was a newborn I washed my hands before touching him and I wore a mask whenever I held or fed him. BH he didnt catch it

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 11:40 am
1. I know in the beginning people were talking about viral load - I don’t know if that’s still a thing? Meaning, you can start being careful now and keep your baby’s viral load down. I don’t know - maybe ask pediatrician.
2. If newborn gets a fever, it’s important to get them checked out, even if you assume corona because that’s the general rule work newborns (due to meningitis concerns). Again - ask pediatrician.

Mazel Tov! Feel good!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics