Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Ceramic Tile, Vinyl, Hardwood for main living area
Previous  1  2

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:36 pm
People have explained what the difference is between ceramic tile and porcelain tile in this thread.

In terms of style decisions, it is NOT uncommon to have hardwood floors except in the entrance and the kitchen. There are tiles that work beautifully when they are next to wood floors. I have Calacatta basketweave tiles in my bathrooms and the rest of the flooring is wood.

It really is a question of finding a tile that looks well with the rest of the flooring. If you are planning to rip up hardwood floors to replace it all with tile, I would say no. If you are replacing all of the flooring then and don't trust your design instincts, find a designer and let them assist you with selecting wood and tile for the foyer and kitchen that looks good together.

meme6

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:57 pm
So I’m skipping wood in my house I can’t handle the scratches and maintenance. In main living I’m doing ceramic in bedrooms I’m doing vinyl.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 11:32 pm
Oh I love the look of tile and then wood, except that the rooms and areas don’t end and just flow into each other so I believe it will look odd to just stop
The tile in a random spot and again start and stop
Around the kitchen. It’s open concept. Hence my dilemma

adar

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 11:41 pm
We did porcelain tile for my foyer kitchen and dining room, they're all connected. It was the best decision, on motzei shabbos I can mop it with hot water and bleach if I need I can scratch off the hard stuff and wash as much as I want. Hardwood floor is pretty but not for common areas only Murphy oil need to use a little water and can't wash as often. Also you need to wax once or twice a year depending on how worn/scratched it is. Vinyl was the cheapest but needs to be replace often so in the long run it would be the same as porcelain tiles.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 11:42 pm
It is impossible for anyone to advise you in aesthetic design decisions without seeing your space.

Either hire a designer as many of them would give you good advice for an hourly rate and it wouldn’t take them long.

Or go to a great flooring place and seek design input as some of them do have flooring designers on staff.

Or go to houzz.com amd ask on the forum. There are professionals and talented individuals who love to offer advice. It is very easy to upload a picture of your space and you would get great advice.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 11:43 pm
adar wrote:
We did porcelain tile for my foyer kitchen and dining room, they're all connected. It was the best decision, on motzei shabbos I can mop it with hot water and bleach if I need I can scratch off the hard stuff and wash as much as I want. Hardwood floor is pretty but not for common areas only Murphy oil need to use a little water and can't wash as often. Also you need to wax once or twice a year depending on how worn/scratched it is. Vinyl was the cheapest but needs to be replace often so in the long run it would be the same as porcelain tiles.

You don’t wax modern floors as they have special finishes which are ruined by wax.

You also don’t use Murphy’s on wood as it also ruins the finish whether it is floors, cabinets, or furniture. There are now much better ways to keep wood looking good.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 2:55 am
Yeah my hardwood guy told me to use Bona years
Ago and I’ve been very happy with the results. Murphy leaves a residue and is slippery.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics