Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Prices of “heimish” brands have gone MAD!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:27 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
How do you know what she can or can't afford? She's actually always the one posting nice finds at target, h&m, old navy...... which has really helped me alot.

Glad I could help!!

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:28 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Which brand wig did u get? I'm looking to buy a wig now.

Irene. It was on sale.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:28 am
I am so thankful I don't have family and friends I need to keep up with . You can get cute cheap girls nightgowns at kidichic . I'm also very lucky that dd is happy with most things and doesn't know better . Bh her friends and neighbors are not fancy and we don't need to keep up with peer pressure . Yes I like nice things and like when my kids are dressed cute but I don't go for the brand name expensive clothing

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:29 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
What is the point then?

And nobody knows what I can afford since I never said how much I earn or how much my expenses are.

Regardless, there were times that I could barely afford old navy, and then I just didn’t shop in local stores. If you can’t afford it, don’t buy it. But do allow other people to spend what they want.

Yes, I’m ״allowing” other people to spend as much as they want.
But this demand and hype for highly overpriced items affects even those who try their best to resist, because at one point or another we do end up needing the goods they provide, and we’re forced to spend sky high prices.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:30 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Where did anyone say that people "aren't allowed" to spend what they want?

If you can afford it, it's not my business. If it's out of your price range, shop somewhere more sensible and don't be ashamed of it.

Free will and free market go hand in hand.

These kinds of posts come up a lot and people seem to be very resentful that others are spending a lot of money.

I agree with the rest of your post, and said as much in my own posts.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, I’m ״allowing” other people to spend as much as they want.
But this demand and hype for highly overpriced items affects even those who try their best to resist, because at one point or another we do end up needing the goods they provide, and were forced to spend sky high prices.

It’s not always easy, but people need to work on themselves and there are cheaper “jewish” options. I myself used to have a clothing brand that sold European “style” stuff at much cheaper prices. Hopefully I’ll get back to doing that one day.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:32 am
The lingerie stores are nuts.
Event pants and tops are over$100.

I think with options like Tottini and kidichic and sage we are getting way more wonderful affordable options of gorgeous clothing.

We need more for teens and women.

The problem is it’s way more work to make money with more affordable brands. Need to sell much more volume. Need to ship and store much more. Need more sales help. So overhead is higher and profit on sales way less.

But if stores see customers are going there maybe it will help.

miami85

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:35 am
This goes back probably around 15 years ago when I was a young working single, I had a wedding to go to and I was ready to spend on a nice outfit--probably in the $200 range. I'd had a skirt already and I was looking for a nice chic black jacket/top to go with it. I went to Boro Park and walked into a store that in its name seemed to indicate "elegant"--but boy was I in for sticker shock. A lady walked up to me and suggested that their store might be out of my league--not quite sure how she got that idea, but I saw a nice black jacket, it was half off, the price was $1650--that WAS the 1/2 off. Then I a saw a nice black sweater, again 1/2 off, price $800. No I didn't see any gold embroidery, it was a plain black cashmere sweater (I know Cashmere can be expensive, but this really didn't strike me as an 'all that' sweater).

miami85

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And apparently a nice majority of frum people have, too.
How else do you explain sold out sizes?
Banging head
Have you seen $52 nightgowns?
How about denim skirt, $82? DENIM, not for shabbos!! (Hello coco blanc)
I’m seriously appalled.
What have we come to?
And then beg us to shop local.

I will pay $52 for a nightgown, but only if it's designed to be tznius and for nursing as that seems to be very difficult to find at a normal price, but I hate being too layered postpartum.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:39 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
This is so not the point Rolling Eyes
And also kinda condescending, and easy for you to say when we all know you can afford it

This post reeks of hatered. I sometimes wonder how posts like this get so many likes 😳

DH is a student and I work very full time. I buy my kids weekday stuff mostly in mall stores but my older DD already wears past the elbow and I find the frum stores a lot easier for Shabbos. I do like giving parnassah to frum stores but here is my main complaint - QUALITY CONTROL!!! Sizing can be super inconsistent within the same brand, expensive items can fall apart etc. I just bought my baby an adorable knit from a frum company it was over $80 and there is nothing in the waist band holding it up.. very strange how no one bothers to fix these glitches. I’m gonna continues to treat myself to nice Shabbos outfits for my kids cuz I work hard and it makes me feel good and the $500 I spend twice a year isn’t making it or breaking it at all. I also did perroquet for shoes cuz if I can buy cheap and still service a frum business then it’s the best of both worlds ..

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:49 am
This is not only an issue in the US. I've seen this also in UK and Antwerp. Oh and what about kosher foods in Amsterdam? Tival meatballs 6 euro which is 7 dollars, jar of mayo 6 dollars (5 euro), cookies 5 dollars (4 euro)... Oh and one pound of minced meat 11 euro (13 dollars). In Antwerp I got a gown for 70 euro (83 dollars) a nightgown was an Israeli brand it was the cheapest cause the others were way more expensive. In UK... 50 pounds for skirts...
I also like giving parnassa to frum stores, and I love heimishe brands for nightgowns and robes but it's really expensive.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:49 am
miami85 wrote:
I will pay $52 for a nightgown, but only if it's designed to be tznius and for nursing as that seems to be very difficult to find at a normal price, but I hate being too layered postpartum.

These are children’s nightgowns were talking about here.
Sorry I wasn’t clear.

$52 for women’s nightgowns would be a joke.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:50 am
I don't care if you can afford expensive clothing for your kids, just don't pressure me into supporting frum stores when I'm trying to be budget conscious.
It bothers me when local families rely on tomchei Shabbos etc and still buy clothing for their children in the local stores because it's a mitzva. It's not a mitzva to support local businesses when you can't afford it! Buy your kids clothing in old navy/target so you can afford groceries and your mortgage!

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:51 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
What is the point then?

And nobody knows what I can afford since I never said how much I earn or how much my expenses are.

Regardless, there were times that I could barely afford old navy, and then I just didn’t shop in local stores. If you can’t afford it, don’t buy it. But do allow other people to spend what they want.

The point is that we feel we should shop locally, in frum stores, but then the prices are insane.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:51 am
As an avid price researcher, who likes her kids to look nice for cheap I will chime in. There are many new brands that open their own stores that sell clothes that are pretty, thought nice styles, good quality and fabric tznius and I think they are decent priced for what you get. Even more expensive stores and brands end up going 50% off quite early in the season and you can get good stuff for good prices. I keep browsing non Jewish stores and the fabric is almost always synthetic and/or very thin and they do not update their styles. Besides the fact that the clothing is not that much cheaper and not tznius. For toddler you can do well in old navy ect. Also for boys weekday and pants, but after that there is not much of a choice (actually there is for me, I end up sewing because I cant find anything I like lol)

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:00 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
This is not only an issue in the US. I've seen this also in UK and Antwerp. Oh and what about kosher foods in Amsterdam? Tival meatballs 6 euro which is 7 dollars, jar of mayo 6 dollars (5 euro), cookies 5 dollars (4 euro)... Oh and one pound of minced meat 11 euro (13 dollars). In Antwerp I got a gown for 70 euro (83 dollars) a nightgown was an Israeli brand it was the cheapest cause the others were way more expensive. In UK... 50 pounds for skirts...
I also like giving parnassa to frum stores, and I love heimishe brands for nightgowns and robes but it's really expensive.

Kosher food in cities that there is little to no demand for kosher food, must be expensive. Otherwise it's impossible to sell kosher food in these cities. This isn't called insane prices at frum stores.
And the prices for food you listed aren't that expensive at all.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:05 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
The point is that we feel we should shop locally, in frum stores, but then the prices are insane.

Yes. This is what the OP is frustrated about. This is not about peer pressure. This is about the non stop comments of how important it is for us to shop locally in frum stores to keep their businesses afloat and to bring them parnassa. But with crazy overpriced items, how do they expect most of us to shop by them? It’s a no win situation this way. Keep the prices at a normal price range and you will have more customers that are able to shop by you.
I’d love to shop locally. I don’t even try. It’s way above what I could afford. I don’t have any peer pressure. But I dislike this constant pressure of “you should be shopping at frum stores” when the owners themselves are not making it possible .

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:16 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Yes. This is what the OP is frustrated about. This is not about peer pressure. This is about the non stop comments of how important it is for us to shop locally in frum stores to keep their businesses afloat and to bring them parnassa. But with crazy overpriced items, how do they expect most of us to shop by them? It’s a no win situation this way. Keep the prices at a normal price range and you will have more customers that are able to shop by you.
I’d love to shop locally. I don’t even try. It’s way above what I could afford. I don’t have any peer pressure. But I dislike this constant pressure of “you should be shopping at frum stores” when the owners themselves are not making it possible .

I fully support those who can and chose to spend on the Jewish prices. Enjoy it in good health!! You have earned the money and it is yours to do as you wish with it and I mean it with a full heart.

I also wonder if sometimes, some of the people who set the prices are doing so with a spirit of "lets see how much I can get them to spend" and "lets see... if we price it at $X price and market as XYZ, will they buy it"... and then sit back and laugh all their way to the bank.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:28 am
Then there are the times when you want to shop local and support Jewish stores, but when you walk in they look at you like "Pretty Woman" and tell you that you can't afford to shop there.

This is why I do 90% of my shopping online. No attitude, no pressure to buy (or not buy), and I can compare prices at my leisure. Also - guaranteed return policies!

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:37 am
I buy my bucherim ecco shoes on amazon for way cheaper than local stores . The exact same shoe they sell local for over 100 I got now for 80. If I would be able to afford the over 100 shoes then gladly . For other kids I do shop local for shoes and spend the prices
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics