Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Prices of “heimish” brands have gone MAD!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:46 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I buy my bucherim ecco shoes on amazon for way cheaper than local stores . The exact same shoe they sell local for over 100 I got now for 80. If I would be able to afford the over 100 shoes then gladly . For other kids I do shop local for shoes and spend the prices

So I buy $75 from a frum guy who manufacturers them himself. Glad to give him the business. I find they last the same as more expensive shoes.

miami85

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 11:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
These are children’s nightgowns were talking about here.
Sorry I wasn’t clear.

$52 for women’s nightgowns would be a joke.

I do spend on my children to have nice "shabbos pajamas" but I usually max out at $30-$40 per kid--because they wear it every week and on yom tov so it gets a lot of use and it means I know what they are wearing on Friday night after their bath and it means one fewer white shirt to get ruined by grape juice, but yea I do see $80-90 and I'm like "why"?

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:20 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I agree, no should be pressured to do anything they don’t want to do. And if you feel pressured, then work on yourself. That’s part of life. Not saying it’s easy.

Regarding shaitels, I just got a gorgeous shaitel for $1300. Just because other people are trying to make it the norm to spend $5000+ doesn’t mean I need to buy into that nonsense. Own your decisions, be confident.

Can you recommend the shaitel marcher?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:45 pm
watergirl wrote:
I fully support those who can and chose to spend on the Jewish prices. Enjoy it in good health!! You have earned the money and it is yours to do as you wish with it and I mean it with a full heart.

I also wonder if sometimes, some of the people who set the prices are doing so with a spirit of "lets see how much I can get them to spend" and "lets see... if we price it at $X price and market as XYZ, will they buy it"... and then sit back and laugh all their way to the bank.

Omg! My thoughts exactly.

Like shabbos robes from a specific store.
I once heard that it costs them only about $10 to manufacture a robe(they mass produce huge quantities) and sell them for around $90.
(Children’s robes)

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 12:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
[/b]

I once heard that it costs them only about $10 to manufacture a robe(they mass produce huge quantities) and sell them for around $90.
(Children’s robes)

Look, we all know there are a lot of variables which make up the final price of an item. So lets say the little girl's robe was bought for $10 and sold for $90; that hike goes to pay for rent/misc. expenses of the shop, marketing, salary, and of course profit for the company. I think $90 for a girls shabbos robe is high but in theory, it's not CRAZY. I was more thinking along the line of what others have described and what I've seen... hundreds for a top or a dress when it is clearly not worth it. What marketing is done to convince the people that the asking price IS worth it?

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:10 pm
Tell me about it....
That’s why I only go to kidichic and designer spot and tottini for my sons shabbos clothes.
To others it’s weekday but to me those weekday clothes are very fancy to my eyes so I put them on my son for shabbos.
On weekdays my son wears carters clothing. Love that store.

I’m literally struggling to find places for myself. Everything I have is too small and tight on me now.
There are womens and kids clothing gemachs and if this continues then I’ll have to go to them for clothing.
I once browsed in a lingerie store for a new bra and nightgown and decided to return another day when I had the $, people tried pointing me to the cheap stuff. I’m like “no thanks have to run home”

It’s insane.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:10 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:

Pm me.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
[/b]

(Children’s robes)

Shipping, rent, design, staff, warehouse, transportation, returns, damaged goods, manufactured items that are poor design and a loss. All adds up quickly.
We recently manufactured something small and cheap. It cost us $8 to ship each. Things like that drive up the price.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:15 pm
I don’t care so much about the price- what really bothers me is the quality you get for it. I was in a kids clothing store the other day that only sells these Jewish brands and the dresses I looked at were 80-90$ and 100% Polyester, Made in China. I know from experience that the quality isn’t always good and now I just won’t buy it. I’d rather spend 100$+ on a dress that’s organic cotton, made in Spain and 10x the quality.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And apparently a nice majority of frum people have, too.
How else do you explain sold out sizes?
Banging head
Have you seen $52 nightgowns?
How about denim skirt, $82? DENIM, not for shabbos!! (Hello coco blanc)
I’m seriously appalled.
What have we come to?
And then beg us to shop local.

Huh? I bought two nightgowns today for $90 each. Was shocked, but that was the price.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:37 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I don’t care so much about the price- what really bothers me is the quality you get for it. I was in a kids clothing store the other day that only sells these Jewish brands and the dresses I looked at were 80-90$ and 100% Polyester, Made in China. I know from experience that the quality isn’t always good and now I just won’t buy it. I’d rather spend 100$+ on a dress that’s organic cotton, made in Spain and 10x the quality.

I find that the clothing I buy at frum stores can usually be used for 2 seasons and they're still in a good condition to be passed on to others. The department stores clothing is usually garbage after a season.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:40 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:

Different amother but I’ve gotten gorgeous wigs for myself and my kallahs at Chaya Heiligman in Kensington for that price or less

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 1:44 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I find that the clothing I buy at frum stores can usually be used for 2 seasons and they're still in a good condition to be passed on to others. The department stores clothing is usually garbage after a season.

I haven’t found that but also I’m not talking about department store clothing.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 2:25 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:

Lots of the “jewish” companies are actually not jewish and made in Spain. The companies made by frum women are usually made in China, and are not necessarily good quality.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 2:35 pm
Op, if a person can’t afford it obviously it’s a bigger mitzva to shop in non Jewish more affordable stores then to go into debt for the sake of supporting Frum businesses.

Chayecha kodmim

Last edited by SuperWify on Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:02 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Lots of the “jewish” companies are actually not jewish and made in Spain. The companies made by frum women are usually made in China, and are not necessarily good quality.

I’m talking about the companies made by frum women. There are a lot of Jewish stores that sell non Jewish brand clothing. I buy those.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:12 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Vote with your pocketbook.

Just say NO!

Supply and demand...

Fish sky rocketed. So Rav said lower prices or I will decree that one need not eat fish on Shabnos

The regulation restricting profits was established by [the third-century Babylonian sage] Samuel (Sh’muel): “Samuel said…. One who profits may not profit more than one sixth.” Rashbam [see above] explains: “It is an enactment of the Sages that no one profit more than this.”

Maimonides rules accordingly:

“We have already explained that he who does business on trust and says, ‘My profit is such and such an amount,’ is not subject to the law of overreaching, and even if he says, ‘I bought this article for a sela and am selling it to you for ten,’ it is legitimate. The courts are obligated, however, to fix market prices and put officers in charge thereof, to the end that each merchant should not make all the profit he desires; indeed, the courts of law should fix a sixth as his profit and the seller should thus not profit more than a sixth.” (Maimonides, Mishneh Torah, Laws of Sale 14:1)

This regulation, however, was restricted to necessities:

“This rule applies only to articles that are necessities of life, such as wines, oils, and various kinds of flour. However, for spices such as costus root, frankincense, and the like, no market price is fixed and one may make as much profit as he desires.” (Maimonides, Mishneh Torah, Laws of Sale 14:2)

The Shulhan Arukh imposes additional limitations upon the restriction of profits:

“(1) When does this apply? When one sells all his merchandise together with no additional labor, but a shopkeeper who sells his merchandise a little at a time — we estimate his labor and his expenses and he is permitted a profit of one sixth on them as well. In other words, all this is considered part of the principal, and he is permitted to profit, one sixth on all, and this results in a greater amount than if he had profited one sixth only on the principal [before his labor and expenses were added].”

“(2) When does this [I.e., the restriction of profit to one sixth] apply? When the market value has not risen. When the market value has risen, however, he may sell it at the higher price.”

“(3) All this applies only where there is a court that compels merchants to sell at a uniform price. If, however, each one sells for as much as he can, he is not obliged to sell cheaply.” (Shulhan Arukh, Hoshen Mishpat 231:20)

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:31 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
So I buy $75 from a frum guy who manufacturers them himself. Glad to give him the business. I find they last the same as more expensive shoes.

What kind of shoes ? What company ? 75$ is a great price for shoes . I find the ecco lasts then at least a year.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:51 pm
What about this new thing of 200-350$ shabbos dresses made of cotton? I had to go around from one store to another trying to find something decent for 100$. How crazy is that ?

mandr

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:51 pm
My friend owns one of the expensive "jewish brand" kids clothing companies and they charge around $50 for pajamas. When I spoke to her about it, she said that people WANT to spend money. And if it's not expensive then they don't sell as much. Go figure.

I agree with the previous poster who said it's the quality that bothers her. I bought 3 pairs of "jewish" pajamas last year all in the 30-40 dollar range. Each one had a defect after wearing just a few times. On one, the applique fell off. On another the pleather area became torn and shredded. On one, the neck shrank so it doesn't go over the head without being painful for my child. Not to mention the texture of the fabric degrading as well. I just think they are so cute so I get them, but the quality is feh lol.

Last edited by mandr on Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics