Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Prices of “heimish” brands have gone MAD!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 6:49 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I'm married over 10 years and I just bought myself two nightgowns for the first time since then. Hopefully these will last another 10 years. I buy them because I need long ones, to the floor, with buttons for nursing. I like the soft cotton feel. I don't think target has the same quality or the same design. It has a particular style that doesn't exist in the non frum stores. The price is outrageous but if you do the math, it ends up being very cheap overall for the use I get out of it.

It's all good! You don't need to justify! I was just sharing my thoughts. I buy expensive things when it is worthwhile for me too!

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 6:51 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
For pajama nightgowns, people (including myself) like to be able to walk around their house in pajamas if necessary and be covered to the extent they usually are.

I don't walk around in them except to use the bathroom which is in my room or if a child cries in the middle of the night and it is urgent like a vomit situation otherwise I would usually put on a robe. When I bathe my children in the morning I usually put a morning robe over my nightgown because I don't want to get dressed right away and get all wet from bathing the kids but otherwise I just get dressed right away. I just cant imagine not sleeping in a tzniusdige nightgown with a low neck or something. Would feel very weird.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 6:56 pm
Can I afford Jewish clothing? Yes. But I rarely shop local.

My kids are not the best behaved shoppers. I need to go to the store, buy what I think will fit, take it home to try on. If they don't fit, I have to return (within 3 days, for a store credit.) That's not feasible for me. I work full-time.

I also dislike the concept of spending that much money for kids clothing which they will outgrow within 6 months, use while playing in the mud, and most likely spill grape juice on.

So my solution is to buy online from Zara, Saks, H&M, etc where I can return within 30 days, and the styles are cute and trendy so my kids don't look out of touch.

Of course, there are some things I cannot seem to buy online, and I gladly buy them locally, and am happy to support Jewish business, but I don't do it for the majority of my purchases.

Separate note:

I did notice that local stores have gone up in price - specifically the "lower-priced" stores. When Lulu opened, they were 20-ish for a top. Now they charge about 30/35. Tottini went from 20 for a dress to
32. Zeebra shoes started at 40 a couple of years ago, I'm pretty sure they're around 50 now. So even the cheaper options aren't that cheap anymore. (Prices I listed are not 100% accurate, but the trend is true.)

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:02 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
For pajama nightgowns, people (including myself) like to be able to walk around their house in pajamas if necessary and be covered to the extent they usually are.

Got it. They really cost 90$? That seems like a lot! I guess if they’re tznius they’re probably made by a Jewish company which explains it...

amother
White

amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Can I afford Jewish clothing? Yes. But I rarely shop local.

My kids are not the best behaved shoppers. I need to go to the store, buy what I think will fit, take it home to try on. If they don't fit, I have to return (within 3 days, for a store credit.) That's not feasible for me. I work full-time.

I also dislike the concept of spending that much money for kids clothing which they will outgrow within 6 months, use while playing in the mud, and most likely spill grape juice on.

So my solution is to buy online from Zara, Saks, H&M, etc where I can return within 30 days, and the styles are cute and trendy so my kids don't look out of touch.

Of course, there are some things I cannot seem to buy online, and I gladly buy them locally, and am happy to support Jewish business, but I don't do it for the majority of my purchases.

Separate note:

I did notice that local stores have gone up in price - specifically the "lower-priced" stores. When Lulu opened, they were 20-ish for a top. Now they charge about 30/35. Tottini went from 20 for a dress to
32. Zeebra shoes started at 40 a couple of years ago, I'm pretty sure they're around 50 now. So even the cheaper options aren't that cheap anymore. (Prices I listed are not 100% accurate, but the trend is true.)

Tottini weekday dresses are still 20 22. Shbs Robe is 32.

amother
Lawngreen

youngishbear wrote:
If only I didn't have to worry about necklines with frum brands! I am frequently appalled at the design choices, given the clientele.

I have to agree. The only way to get the length that the school requires is to go up in sizing. and then the whole fit is simply horrible. Why can’t they add 1-2” extra fabric at the hemline and those who want can hem it up, rather to have to size up? Not everyone goes to the mountain, or buys an extra set of clothing for when school is out.
Another major pet peeve of mine, almost none of the Heimish brands made long sleeve boys sweaters now. ‘Almost’ everything is short sleeves. Do pple start wearing them on Pesach already? A long sleeve shirt under those skimpy banded short sleeve knits just look awful.
And yes, every brand went up significantly in price.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:04 pm
I'm married over 10 years and I just bought myself two nightgowns for the first time since then. Hopefully these will last another 10 years. I buy them because I need long ones, to the floor, with buttons for nursing. I like the soft cotton feel. I don't think target has the same quality or the same design. It has a particular style that doesn't exist in the non frum stores. The price is outrageous but if you do the math, it ends up being very cheap overall for the use I get out of it.

Target has delicious soft comfortable long nightgowns for $120.....

Sprinkles1

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:05 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Got it. They really cost 90$? That seems like a lot! I guess if they’re tznius they’re probably made by a Jewish company which explains it...

https://thelingerieshopny.com/......html

These are for 50-100

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:07 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:

The ones in the frum stores are $70-$130+.
I sent my sister and she chose two that were $90. I would have preferred the $70 ones, but she said they were out or not appropriate for what I needed.
Yes, it is expensive, but I think the price was probably about the same 10 years ago when I was shopping before my wedding.

Zehava

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:09 pm
As for denim people buy them for the country🤷🏽‍♀️

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And apparently a nice majority of frum people have, too.
How else do you explain sold out sizes?
Banging head
Have you seen $52 nightgowns?
How about denim skirt, $82? DENIM, not for shabbos!! (Hello coco blanc)
I’m seriously appalled.
What have we come to?
And then beg us to shop local.

I just got back from shopping for my 12 and 5 year old in the 5T. I didn’t look at prices, because I know I’m returning most of it. They didn’t have a dressing room, so I’m trying everything on tonight. I brought home MAYBE 10 things total- it was over $500!!! I will be telling my girls they can keep one or two things each. This is INSANE!!! I thought tottini, where I had 20 things in the cart for over $500 was a lot, but I see it’s really not!!!

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:15 pm
Sprinkles1 wrote:
https://thelingerieshopny.com/sleepwear/nightgowns/long-nightgowns.html

These are for 50-100

Wow, I have never seen this type of thing before. Most of them look like regular maxi dresses. I was lost in this conversation because nightgown to me is short and loose like an oversized tee. You may as well just order any cotton maxi dress from Amazon for 20-30$ than pay this much for pajamas!

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:23 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Wow, I have never seen this type of thing before. Most of them look like regular maxi dresses. I was lost in this conversation because nightgown to me is short and loose like an oversized tee. You may as well just order any cotton maxi dress from Amazon for 20-30$ than pay this much for pajamas!

Um me too...I've never seen this ever. I clicked on that link and im like wow those are gorgeous dresses ! Aside from the length ..if they were hemmed shorter they look like stunning weekday dresses.
Do people really sleep in these?
My concept of pjs is my old ratty camp shirt I had in high-school I've been wearing for 15 years already...or an oversized t shirt and ratty baggy drawstring pants. Basically anything...why so fancy to sleep?

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:26 pm
Quote:
Basically anything...why so fancy to sleep?

The chassidish version of lingerie Wink

bnm

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And explain to me why petit Clair long sleeves for girls starts at size 6?
Petit Clair is located only in boro park and Williamsburg, and about 90% of those kids need long sleeves at 3!
Banging head

They had an online store and sold to other stores before opening their stores in BP and Williamsburg.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:34 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Quote:
Basically anything...why so fancy to sleep?

The chassidish version of lingerie Wink

Not true. The chassidish stores sell s-xy lingerie as well. They even sell short all lace nighties.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:35 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Not true. The chassidish stores sell s-xy lingerie as well. They even sell short all lace nighties.

That isn't standard or many people still don't buy it.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:38 pm
That isn't standard or many people still don't buy it.

Basically all stores in chassidish communities sell them, so I guess it's standard. You can't know what others buy and what goes on in their bedrooms. If the stores carry it, people obviously buy it. And I'm sure others buy online just like I do. Lingerie is not assur for chassidish.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:53 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

I know there are chassidishe that buy/wear lingerie. But there are many that dont. The other poster asked why wear so fancy to sleep, so I explained that these fancy nightgowns sometimes serve the same 'purpose' as lingerie.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:56 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I know there are chassidishe that buy/wear lingerie.

This.
I would never, under any circumstances, buy real lingerie.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics