Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Stores in Brooklyn accepting PEBT card

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 5:17 pm
Just managed to activate our P-EBT benefits that we got in the summer in lieu of school lunches for March, April, May and June. The money is on my husband's Medicaid card. I would like to use it towards Pesach grocery shopping:

1. Which supermarkets in Brooklyn (Moishes? Bingo? etc) accept it please?

2. Do I have to use the entire amount at one time?

3. If I use the card to pay at the register, and some of the items are not covered by this benefit, how does it work? (would I have to pay for those items separately?)

4. I have never used such a card before (we don't have snap benefits. We only qualified due to the pandemic), and I am a little concerned that I may meet someone I know while standing on line, and they will see that I am using this card. I know that it is not something to be ashamed of, but I do not feel so comfortable. This is linked to the previous question: would the cashier announce "This item is not covered by your card etc."
I would appreciate your guidance please, so that I am going in prepared, and would not have feel humiliated at the store. Thanks!

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 5:24 pm
As far as I know , it works like a food stamps card. At the register it will cover whatever is food stamps worthy (food items). All other items will show up with a remaining balance.
You don’t need to use the full card at once. You should have a link or phone # with PIN# to call to hear the balances on each card.
If it’s used up, it will only cover the amount left on the card and the rest will show up as a remaining balance which you need to pay separately.
In the summertime , I used it at Bingo in Monsey and there were no issues, at all.

I would assume all groceries take it.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 5:26 pm
I'm assuming most stores accept it.
If you have $50 on your card and buy $20 of eligible items and $10 of not eligible items, give the ebt card first. You will have to enter your pin. The. Cashier will tell you there's an additional$10 charge and you will swipe your regular card. There will be $30 remaining on your card for future use. It usually says amount left on bottom of the receipt

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 5:28 pm
Any store that accepts food stamps will accept it. I got a separate card for each of my kids and I had to activate and set up a pin before I used them. Yes, it was very embarassing to use it but it was worth the money I saved.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 5:29 pm
We used ours in the summer.
You need to have your pin # handy to be able to use it.
Any of those stores should take it.
The scanner at the supermarket will calculate what is EBT and what isn't. So if you bring milk, pizza and plastic plates to the checkout, it will calculate $10 for the food and $5 for the paper goods (rough example). You'll swipe the card for the $10, and then the balance of $5 will come up and the clerk will ask you how you want to pay (cash or credit card).
Your balance on the card will then be $390, if you started off with $400. And you'll be able to use it again at the next place. Kind of like a food gift card.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 10:46 pm
Thank you all. Super helpful responses!

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 11:02 pm
Bingo doesn’t I believe

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 11:11 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote: