Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Do you have shas etc?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you have a whole set of shas
Yes  
 84%  [ 129 ]
No  
 15%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 152

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t want him to be like a kollel avreich nor a shliach I think it’s a bit of my insecurity as BT that I have a thing this should be a Jewish home with sforim. I was just curious if every Jewish home has or should have shas even when it’s used or not.
But OP, there are so many sfarim out there in the world. It does not have to be only shas.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:08 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I totally understand the whole part about wondering how things "should" be. My husband and I also became frum after non-frum upbringings. And I hear what you're saying, that for you it's just about the home atmosphere and not about your DH. I just worry that there's a high risk that a different subtext could come through, however unintentionally.
you are right, I still have a prove I need to be frum. My inlaws are BTs to and they set their hopes on my husband when he was in yeshivah and he didn’t lived up to it by being a “black hat” litvak. I admire my husband how he broke free of this and became his own self. I basically did the same by not becoming fully chabad but made my own cholent. But still I feel that when I would have the whole shas I would be more frum and his parents would also be more proud of him or that I don’t know the atmosphere changes. It’s a weird battle in my head, because if my dh wants to read Harry Potter I find it nice, I think if women were more encouraged to learn I would be more then happy to learn and everything but I don’t know how men learn

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:23 pm
OP if you want a set of shas for your home for yourself, get one. Most sets are purchased as a gift from a kallah or wife.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:24 pm
This is a standard gift during engagement in many circles.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:30 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
This is a standard gift during engagement in many circles.
yeah we needed to pay our own wedding couldn’t get him a nice gift nor a shas

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Right just explaining why so many people have it.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You can buy a full set for $700. Speak to the Judaica store and see if you can set up a payment plan.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:53 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
You can buy a full set for $700. Speak to the Judaica store and see if you can set up a payment plan.

op im a bt too and paid for alot of my own
I got my dh his shas a few months after we got married
spent around 300$. he is israeli I got him oz vehadar set which is what he learned in yeshiva

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 7:06 pm
When we first got married, my husband wanted a whole Shottenstein shas.It was 3x the price of a regular shas and I just couldn't afford it. I bought him his first one and said lets do shas together. Every time you finish a gemara, we'll buy another. Well we finished shas together many many years ago and have the whole set now : )
Anonymous because ppl irl know this story about us

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 8:47 pm
We have a mini shas. Each booklet is a few masechtas. Good to look things up if dh is learning something and wants to check source.
Otherwise, we have large only of the masechtos that he has learned or is learning.
Currently borrowing a mesechta of artscroll from a friend bc every now and then wants to check up in artscroll

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 8:52 pm
Seforim is always a nice decor for a Jewish home.
Even if your husband doesn't learn much or learns other things, it is always nice having them for your children to see you value sefarim.

My husband does learn Shas but uses the artscroll version and not the large set from our seforim shelves.
He uses the ones from Shul.

miami85

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:03 pm
Yes, except my husband did learn it.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:12 pm
We have an artscroll shas. When we ere engaged my parents told dh to go pick out a shas. The artscroll was double the price and dh picked a nic typical one. He happens to learn only with artscroll. My father had a set of shas from when he got married that was falling apart. Didn't want it sitting around not used and realized my father could use a new one. my mother realized that he gave it to my father, she told him that she would go buy him an artscroll one. He told her not to. Anyways my next sister got married eight years after me, and her husband wanted the artscroll and the next sister 6 months after that sister and he also wanted artscroll. We came over my sister's wedding, to a bunch of boxes by our door. Turns out when they bought it for my brothers in law she also bought it for us.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:30 pm
We have almost 2 complete sets. Got one set as wedding gift. DH learns daf yomi and prefers the artscroll shas so he buys the artscroll version every time he needs the next sefer.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:38 pm
How many people have nice dishes that they hardly ever use, yet they still keep them in the closet for that special moment. A Jewish home needs basic seforim, which include shas, chmashim, mishnayos, mishna brura or the like and more.

zigi

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:43 pm
we don't have a full set of shas, dh had a mini size version. I have the ones that the kids need for school. we have a lot of chumashim and navi. we have the mini mishnaos and rambam. I guess there wasn't enough money and space for the large sets of shas, and sichos etc.

salt

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 4:52 am
OP how long have you been married? Iy"H before you know it, you will be blessed with kids who will start learning gemara, and you can buy a Shas for them. It comes round quicker than you think (Be"H)!

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 5:23 am
OP, if I were you, I would get a few of the artscroll shas, one by one. Get for yourself! But also your houses should definitely have the basic sefarim - chumash, navi, shas. Plus other sefarim that you enjoy reading.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:47 am
Even if your dh wouldn't use it now, they will be there for him to use it if he gets the inspiration for it at some point. Or your kids! It's good to have kodesh books around, it inspires us to learn and if we get the motivation they are there to be used!

Aurora

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 10:50 am
I'm being vague because I don't want to be identified. We don't have a great library of sefarim in our home, because we can use a really nice Judaica library (and, thank God, Sefaria).
Right now, we are accumulating a set of mishnayot because my husband learns a mishna a day.
I do pick up the odd book here and there, but it's mostly because I tend to do learning and sometimes need more sources.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics