Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What are u giving hte teachers/rebbes/bus drivers?
1  2  Next

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 7:59 am
for mishloach m?

do u give an envelope only or also mm? I am wondering what to do abou the bus drivers and bus rebbe? do they need mm or just money?

shopaholic

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 8:03 am
Bus driver - nothing. I give chanukah gelt. Teachers/Rebbi - nice wine bag with a sparkling Chardonnay grape juice & a thing of chocoaltes -n whatever fits in there. Not fancy, not expensive, but shows we care. I have 8 teachers to give in addition to my MM & my kids MM so I have to cut down price.

cdawnr

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 8:46 am
THANK YOU!

I had totally forgotten to put that in my chesbon of MM we need to make! (First year I have a kid in school and first year for Jewish daycare)

yersp

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 11:18 am
Which brings me to my question!!
I gave Chanuka a tip to DD's bus driver, (someone in her class collected money for the teachers and bought one big thing) and for ds's teachers in playgroup. Do I have to give a tip again now Purim to the bus driver and playgroup teachers?

zigi

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 4:22 pm
isn't the extra tip by pesach time?

momof6

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 4:47 pm
An appreciative note means more than you can imagine! keep it small its the thought that counts1

amother

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 5:33 pm
What is the going rate for Purim $ for the rebbeim in Brooklyn this year? Are you supposed to match your Chanuka tip?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 7:42 pm
why are u anonymous? its a very normal general question!

well each to thier own I think, we are very happy with the rebbe so hes getting a nice tip, I dont match up what I gave on chanukah

supermommy

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 8:11 pm
OK I'm lost. Purim is a time for tips as well as chanukah??? Is this a ny thing? I just give mm to teachers.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 4:26 am
sleepless-n-ny wrote:
why are u anonymous? its a very normal general question!

well each to thier own I think, we are very happy with the rebbe so hes getting a nice tip, I dont match up what I gave on chanukah
WHAT ON EARTH? ive lived in bklyn my whole life, and my parents never (to my knowledge) "tipped" rebbeim. not only does that sound just a tad immoral or something (do you "tip" your doctor? big diff between giving someone MM and giving them a "cash gift"), but um, also, excuse me for sounding mean or anything, but these people are getting PAID to teach. Now they need "bribes" to teach your kid too? and what of the people who cant afford it?? And trust me, my parents are among those who COULD b'h very well afford to give each teacher (I have no clue what amounts were talking about here, im just takinga wild guess), 50 dollars or so on purim or whatever. They parents paid full tuition, which meant, some years, over 50/60k to various schools. so now they have to "tip" on top of that? the entire idea sounds so offensive to me!!! sure for purim, I can understand "gelt" as a present? but what now they need TIPS for purim? I am shocked at this notion, this board is actually the first time I ever heard this idea!! Can someone please explain???

chayitty

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 6:22 am
well most people in bklyn do tip...rebbiem dont make a large salary and really count on the tips....my boys r still lil. but from wat I heard people give bet $50-$100 to a rebbi (on average)

amother

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 6:28 am
chayitty wrote:
well most people in bklyn do tip...rebbiem dont make a large salary and really count on the tips....my boys r still lil. but from wat I heard people give bet $50-$100 to a rebbi (on average)
alright im really sorry, but if someone has 5 kids and "tips' their rebbeim twice a year (chanukah and purim apparently?) thats 1000 dollars right there. that should be going towards tuition. the only people who "should" be tipping (although I think the whole thing is sickening! arent you like not supposed to tip a shofet? but its ok to tip a rebbe? theyre only human. d o you really think that they give equal attention to the boy whose parents didnt tip to the boy whose parents tipped 200 dollars??) are those who pay full tuition and have the extra ability to do so. This reminds me of the bugaboo thread. its ok to have a bugaboo but not pay rent? so its ok to tip and not pay full tution? unless every single person who does this is paying full tuition, I dont really understand how it could be done, and how its even moral, or moreso, halachially correct. I am really shocked. ive never heard of this, my entire life.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 9:01 am
chayitty wrote:

thats right. this is what we do, its part of thier salary-the twice a year tipping. perhaps in your circles it doesnt get done.

Last edited by flowerpower on Fri, Mar 14 2008, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

chayitty

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 9:05 am
who says their not paying full tiution????
as a side point...the rebbe doesnt get payed more if the kids in the class pay full tiution...so its a whole dif matter

rb

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 9:51 am
I wouldn't call it "tipping" the Rebbe, I see it more as Hakaros Hatov for the Rebbe taking care of your child. In Brooklyn, most people give between $50-100. Obviously, if you can't afford it, you give less.

supermommy

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 10:54 am
OK so apparently parts of brooklyn do it and other parts don't. Which part of brooklyn tips teachers? Boro Park? Flatbush? I'm just curious. Maybe I'm missing out on some info.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 11:46 am
for the teachers its like twenty dollars a teacher but a rebbe supports the family and gives chinuch for the boys so he gets more depending on the age and all. I know to put away money even a month before tipping-in my eyes its more imp then other expenses-the gift of giving to the ones who deserves it.

in boro park its for sure gives

lamplighter

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 12:08 pm
amother, I agree that it is hard 4 large families to give monetary gifts on top of tuition, however..tuition does not go to the teachers. teaching is a low paying job, with few perks, and not much appreciation or respect..... a token of thanks is not a bribe.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 2:21 pm
dd used to snoop to see what her teachers would snack on, then we would get that for mm.

ChossidMom

Post Sat, Mar 15 2008, 12:24 pm
My boys go to a Yerushalmi Cheder (Yiddish) in Kiryat Sefer. My husband always gives the rebbes money on Purim. I also give a nice M.M (bottle of wine and box of chocolates).

We don't give money to the girls' teachers. Usually, all the girls in the class chip in 10 shekels and one of the mothers buys a nice M.M. Same with my kids in gan.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics