Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
If you traveled for LEISURE in the last year...
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 2:48 pm
If you advocate for wearing masks, and judge people who don’t, but traveled on a plane for leisure, you are a hypocrite.
Just saying.

I just flew for the first time since Covid and was shocked at how packed airports and planes are.
And how mandatory the masks are when you have 200 literally sitting on top of each others .
And when it’s snack time (not mealtime, not a very long flight where you must eat), all masks come right off.
So if youre one of those big mask people, but took a vacation flight, you’re a hypocrite.
And I’m suspecting it’s quite a number of people.

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 2:53 pm
What a lovely post

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 2:55 pm
tichellady wrote:
What a lovely post

Do you not agree? I’d love to hear what you think.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 2:57 pm
and in NY they give fines in the airport for x masks or social distancing.... but on the plane- it's right out the window.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:00 pm
Pesach is coming, there's so much to do, who cares if people traveled and if they are pro or against masks, you do you.

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I try not to judge other people and I also think part of being human is being hypocritical so I don’t get too worked up about that.
Flying restrictions are also looser now than they were when things were worse.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:02 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Why are you so angry? Pesach is coming, there's so much to do, who cares if people traveled and if they are pro or against masks, you do you.

I’m not angry. I’m trying to bring awareness to blind laws that’s it.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:07 pm
HEPA filters on most planes filter out viruses and bacteria very effectively. You can look it up if this topic is of great concern to you.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m not angry. I’m trying to bring awareness to blind laws that’s it.

Everyone is aware that this makes no sense, even though airplanes have amazing air filters, until it gets to the filter, it already contaminated people along the way.
Law makers are not scientists, so you end up with this kind of stuff.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:24 pm
What I don’t understand is having everyone deplane and kicking a family off and banning them from ever using that airline again because their toddler wouldn’t wear a mask when everyone is squashed together and half the people are “eating” the entire flight. Makes no sense to me

Yes, I’m aware that it was a run-on sentence.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:28 pm
I don’t think op is talking about the laws.
She means the people that yell about non maskers, the chassidim, school opening, pizza stores that have no social distances for 3 minute pickups. Wokey dokey type.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Flying is different because all the other people on the plane also agreed to accept the risk.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:34 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Flying is different because all the other people on the plane also agreed to accept the risk.

Funny because I heard otherwise.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:38 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
She means the people that yell about non maskers, the chassidim, school opening, pizza stores that have no social distances for 3 minute pickups. Wokey dokey type.

Thank you for explaining this. This post is dedicated to the mask police.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for explaining this. This post is dedicated to the mask police.

Why do you think the mask police was flying for leisure purposes?
Have you come across someone like that in real life?

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:51 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Why do you think the mask police was flying for leisure purposes?
Have you come across someone like that in real life?

My mask police officer flew with all her children to Orlando during midwinter break. She didn’t specifically say leisure, so maybe your right, it might have been business.

Bh we can afford to take our family to Florida, so no, it’s not a jealousy thing. (In case your wondering)

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 3:56 pm
I flew a few times during this pandemic. Personally I don't care to wear a mask and couldn't care less of others wear it or not. DH flew during the height of the pandemic last year April / May he had in front of him a couple who was wearing hazmat suits, goggles, three pairs of gloves, three masks, and a shield. They also kept on complaining to the stewardess that other people are not wearing their masks how they should be etc. Someone like that should not fly.
I do agree the laws are ridiculous.

agreer

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 6:06 pm
Flying is such BS

The only reason these flights are allowed is because airlines would go out of business, and it would be a terrible blow to the economy.

It makes ZERO sense that people could fly in a tiny enclosed space but huge shuls could only have 10 people, or that outdoor restaurants had to be shut down where I live over Thanksgiving but airlines were allowed to be jam-packed (although flying was "discouraged").

But OP - I feel like the people who chose to fly for pleasure are NOT the people who are so into masking and SD. That's why they felt comfortable flying.

I was petrified of Covid-19. I wear a mask religiously. I love social distancing. Of course I didn't fly last year!

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 6:56 am
I only wear a mask to avoid making a chillul Hashem, and I am not at all afraid of catching corona in a store or park or on the street- but I wouldn't fly because people on planes have to share the air the whole flight!

ora_43

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 7:12 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

Because if we do one dangerous thing, we should go ahead and do all of the dangerous things. Makes sense.

Anyway, the issue here is that there is no one person who is like "hur dur masks everywhere, no stores, but planes are fine." There are a whole bunch of different groups and interests competing, with different politicians and enforcement agencies making the call. No, it doesn't make sense to avoid sending your toddler to daycare and then take them on a plane. But nobody ever said it did. It's just that shutting down a daycare and banning passenger flights are two different things controlled by two totally different administrative bodies.

Not sure if I should confuse that point with another, but I'm going to go ahead and try: sometimes there are good reasons to allow one thing and ban another even when both are equally dangerous, when other values come into play. Like, davening outside rather than inside is going to cause mild discomfort; shutting down daycares means dozens of people can't work. Shutting down massage parlors is irritating and causes financial harm to the masseuse; shutting down a therapist's office could be life or death. Etc. Air travel isn't necessary, in most cases, but airlines are a vital national industry, so the risk may be counterbalanced by the gain here in ways it isn't when it comes to other industries.

Or maybe I'm just wokey dokey Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics