Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Children's books

morticia_again

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 11:21 am
I'm going to post this in a couple of forums (assume that's allowed), because I just wanted some ideas and advice.
I find that the Jewish kids books on the market are not as good in general as the non-Jewish ones (I'm talking about for little kids, up to age 3 or 4).
Could you tell me which books your children enjoy, and those that you actually enjoy reading to them (because I find that most just put me to sleep, even if the kids like them, while there are loads of non-Jewish books that are funny or witty, or actually appealing to adults as well)?

Thanks very much.
morticia

Shimmysmom

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 11:46 am
any of the eric carle books are fantastic especially the very hungry caterpillar, and brown bear, brown bear what do you see. . .
my son also loves dr. seuss.
but then again my son loves any book, he would let me read to him for hours!

mother48

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 5:01 pm
I have a lot of the Hachai books-I find them well written and vibrant:

the label's for label series

the 'I go to shul/doc/school-my kids love those-they are so basic and pics are really every day images they are familiar with.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 5:12 pm
I wrote one of the books for Hachai. Any ideas of books you'd like to see?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 6:21 pm
do you want to know of specifically jewish books? or good books for little kids?
as a teacher, I would say that the following (secular) books are great:
Caps for Sale
Goodnight Moon (more for ages 1-3)
The Very Hungry Caterpillar (and other Eric Carle books, as suggested above)
The Rainbow Fish
Curious George books

morticia_again

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 11:56 am
HI
Thanks for all your replies, I've found them helpful, it seemsa lot of people have recommended Hachai books so I'll have to check them out. I was looking for ideas of Jewish books, we have loads of secular books, and the ones I like to read (again, the kids would probably sit through anything I read to them, but the ones I like), are all the Dr Seuss, Eric Carle, books by Babette Cole, Kes Gray, Anthony Browne, Handa's Surprise by Eileen Browne, Nick Sharratt. I'm not sure if these books are available in USA, I think a lot of them might be English (with the exception of Dr Seuss of course).
But these are mostly the ones I read to my 3 and a half year old, the books my son (18 months) likes to read, is anything with pictures of animals in, dosn't matter much about the owrds, cos all he wants to say is quack, neigh, moo, etc!!
Thanks again.
Looking forward to seeing more ideas.
Tova

Mommish

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 7:24 pm
Mitzvah Giraffe is really cute.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 2:58 pm
this one is really cute and alive:
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Brigh.....r=1-4

cl

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 3:24 pm
I just bought a cute lift-the-flap book for my 2 y.o. an he's enjoying it. I think its called what do I say? and what else do I say? by Hachai.
Another book I like for a slightly older child, 3+, is the Lables for Lebiel set as the rhyming text is well written and the illustrations are beautiful. unfortunately the illustrations in alot of the Jewish kids books are soooo un-appealing, and look like they've been drawn by a young kid.
A good book for discussion and pointing to rather than actual story-line is the Mitzvos We Can Do by Artscroll Youth Series.
And my 4 y.o. enjoys the My First Book of Jewish Stories by Shmuel Blitz by Artscroll which has a few stories in each book and the Tziztis Book by Avrami Tidhar by Feldheim Publishers which has claymation characters and 3D bubbles with different materials in.
--
my 2y.o.'s fave book at the moment is a pciture book of tractor-trailers, bulldozers etc And one of my fave's is Monkey Puzzle by Julia Donaldson & Axel Scheffler.
I hope this helps...

Reality

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 3:31 pm
[quote="cl"]I just bought a cute lift-the-flap book for my 2 y.o. an he's enjoying it. I think its called what do I say? and what else do I say? by Hachai

I have these also & my kids LOVE them. Also, Is it Shabbos Yet? is fantastic little kids book. My girls know it by heart.

MimiMommy

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 4:50 pm
in agreement with everyone, I've also found that Hachai makes the best Jewish children's books, the rest are really not great. The books we have from Hachai are cute, creative, and don't seem overly frum (I.e. they have drawings of women- gasp!). My daughter also loves 'Is It Shabbos Yet?" We read it every Shabbos!

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 4:58 pm
any richard scarry book.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 6:32 pm
My favorite Jewish kids' book is "Shimmy the Youngest", but it's no longer in print. I was so disappointed that my kids will never get to read it.
Otherwise, they love the Yossi and Label books, and "Is it Shabbos yet?" I can't think of any others at the moment.

Plonis

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 6:43 pm
You can buy Shimmy the Youngest used - like from here: http://www.amazon.com/Shimmy-Y.....13710

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 6:58 pm
Thank you. I'll have to order one then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics