Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
KLP hamster food?

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 12:24 am
Help! What do I feed our cute lil dwarf hamster over Pesach that won't shock his lil system? He's been eating a packaged food mix until now. I don't even know what brand it is because we got a container of it secondhand when we adopted the hamster.

Thanks!

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 12:25 am
We gave our hamster matza, fruits/veggies and maybe some nuts and it made it through pesach alive!

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 12:56 am
We also just adopted a hamster yesterday and I'm wondering what to feed it on Pesach. The food we have is chometz.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 1:02 am
Matza, fruits and vegetables, mealworms, various weeds.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 1:08 am
I just looked up mealworms and — ew! Our hamster will have to do without those. Sorry.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 1:53 am
Are there specific fruits and veggies that are good enough to replace their regular diet? And are there seeds that are non-kitniyos KFP? We are nut-free.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 1:58 am
Why does it have to eat non-kitniyos?

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 2:05 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
We gave our hamster matza, fruits/veggies and maybe some nuts and it made it through pesach alive!

Except for the addition of matzah and the absence of insects, this seems to be what hamsters eat in the wild.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 2:13 am
Whatever you decide, from what I've heard, it's best to transition slowly. Start gradually switching over to KLP now already.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 7:51 am
yes- start adding some of the pesachdik food now to get him used to it.
Last year I made a mix of crushed matza, rice, sunflower seeds, buckwheat (he isn't ashkenaz, so he can have kitniyos!). I also bought something on amazon but I forgot what. need to check if my daughter still has some left. you can give little pieces of egg (no spices), carrot, lettuce, apple (not too much, high sugar). If you google what to feed hamster, you will see what else they can eat.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 7:52 am
We made our own filling mix of seeds, nuts, legumes (kitniyus) for our hampsters the years we had them over pesach.

We bought arrow mills puffed rice, raw sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and we dehydrated corn, peas and soybeans in the oven beforehand. Don't rely solely on the seeds because if they're not balanced with other nutrients the high fat is too much for the hamster.
Treats were little cubes of apple or carrot.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:19 am
Yikes, probably too late to start weaning... I mean we'll try but just a couple of days left.
He already gets little treats of the ends of whatever veggies we happen to be cutting up. So the stem end of the cucumber, etc.

I'm ashkenaz, please brief me on the kitniyos situation - do you need to buy packages of rice/seeds/peas that are separately kosher for pesach or do I just set aside generic ones for hamster use? How makpid do I need to be to keep them away from our food/hands/whatever?

Our little friend is already old (secondhand pet...) and I worry about him because some of us are very attached...

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:24 am
We bought generic kitniyos, natural items.
We are makpid to wash our hands after (which we do after playing with our pet anyway).

Scotty

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:20 pm
Google how many carbs your hamster is supposed to be eating! Common misconception with many pets is that pellets provide enough for their diets, when all the poor guys want is CELERY LEAVES AND ROMAINE LETTUCE (easily avail on pesach lol!) you may be pleasantly surprised to find that your pet’s ideal diet is pesachdik all year round!

for example Guinea pigs (completely diff animal but similar concept) are commonly stuffed with pellets and are sluggish all day... give them a constant diet of greens, pure Timothy hay, and the occasional carrot thrown in with a QUARTER cup pellets daily and they are blissfully happy, healthy and active! (Note that guinea pigs require Timothy hay to survive and digest food - which pesach wise is hardly an issue if you buy pure hay- dunno if hamsters are likewise but make sure yours has what’s needed for optimal digestion.)

4g01o

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:26 pm
We just give ours veg over pesach. It survived last year and another old one survived another pesach so I wouldn't worry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics