Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Vent - sometimes I hate living OOT --UPDATE
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

singleagain

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 9:44 am
I work in a grocery grocery We are unfortunately out of the Passover Hines and we're not getting any more in before you know for now But if anyone else needs anything else let me know and I'll see what I can do

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:03 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Things become sold out very fast because selfish people buy a lot without thinking about others. The store I shop at put a limit on many items.

Could it be that the jewish communities are growing (Baruch hashem) but the food companies don't produce enough for pesach. Or the stores don't order enough.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:04 pm
Or maybe some product and manufacturing lines are still messed over/delayed from the pandemic.

Hope everyone finds and gets what they need and want.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:05 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Could it be that the jewish communities are growing (Baruch hashem) but the food companies don't produce enough for pesach. Or the stores don't order enough.

Stores know that communities are growing and most try to order accordingly. Some people just don't think about others. Some stores have signs hanging that they won't be accepting returns of unopened pesach items after yom tov to try to get people to buy the amount they need.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:14 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
And my tiny OOT community no longer gets butter ever, not Pesach and not year round, because the new guy who took over the store orders a year ago doesn't eat butter himself! Last year Pesach I saw there was no butter and he explained he doesn't like it, so I asked him if he could order butter for Pesach and he said no, he doesn't like butter, he likes margarine. So last year Pesach, for the first time, there was no butter, but mounds and mounds of large margarine blocks (not even sticks) that nobody bought, but which sat on the shelf for months. This year, I drove five hours (round trip) to make sure to get butter for my family for Pesach. All because one man doesn't like butter, so therefore the whole community can go without. Can't Believe It

ETA: Good thing I drove for the butter. He STILL didn't order any butter for us, even though people have asked and nobody bought the margarine blocks.

Insane store owner. Why does no one organize butter shipment for the whole community?

singleagain

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:19 pm
Out of curiosity I looked up the sale of heinz klp ... And I saw that on person bought 40 pieces. I did the math. $259.60 on ketchup. Unless they were buying for a program or something I can't understand it. But if you do want something like 4 cases .... Go to the buyer and ask for a special order, besides leaving enough for everyone else. You'll prob get a bulk price.

singleagain

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:23 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Insane store owner. Why does no one organize butter shipment for the whole community?

That is not good for a buyer. There are lots of times I ask my buyer "why don't we get c product that I like" and he says" it doesn't sell here ppl don't buy it."

Know your clientele

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:26 pm
You don't have to be OOT to suffer from lack of kLP products. In israel we had no eggs in the whole country. There were fights for eggs , police had to come. A friend of mine had to send her son in law, a kolel man with his car (kolel men usually don't have a car here) to get eggs for the whole family from tel Aviv. Guess its the very first time he found himself in a non-chareidi supermarket in the super secular strongholds of tel aviv

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:26 pm
singleagain wrote:
Out of curiosity I looked up the sale of heinz klp ... And I saw that on person bought 40 pieces. I did the math. $259.60 on ketchup. Unless they were buying for a program or something I can't understand it. But if you do want something like 4 cases .... Go to the buyer and ask for a special order, besides leaving enough for everyone else. You'll prob get a bulk price.

That's insane. Why does a store allow one person to buy 40 pieces? There should be a limit on items for this reason. Pesach programs usually buy wholesale and not at stores.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:28 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
And my tiny OOT community no longer gets butter ever, not Pesach and not year round, because the new guy who took over the store orders a year ago doesn't eat butter himself! Last year Pesach I saw there was no butter and he explained he doesn't like it, so I asked him if he could order butter for Pesach and he said no, he doesn't like butter, he likes margarine. So last year Pesach, for the first time, there was no butter, but mounds and mounds of large margarine blocks (not even sticks) that nobody bought, but which sat on the shelf for months. This year, I drove five hours (round trip) to make sure to get butter for my family for Pesach. All because one man doesn't like butter, so therefore the whole community can go without. Can't Believe It

ETA: Good thing I drove for the butter. He STILL didn't order any butter for us, even though people have asked and nobody bought the margarine blocks.

I’ve had trouble getting butter too. Maybe we’re in the same place? If you don’t keep CY, I was told that a specific brand of whipping cream was ok for Passover with a year round marking, so I’m making butter. It’s a pain in the neck, but definitely takes way less than 5 hours.

singleagain

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:30 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
That's insane. Why does a store allow one person to buy 40 pieces? There should be a limit on items for this reason. Pesach programs usually buy wholesale and not at stores.

honestly I don't think that anyone thought about it beforehand how crazy people would get for it. Also I am the cashiers don't necessarily know if there is a limit on stuff so they wouldn't they wouldn't know we would have to be very explicit next year and I do plan to bring this up to my manager.

Sorry for the voice to text

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:38 pm
singleagain wrote:
That is not good for a buyer. There are lots of times I ask my buyer "why don't we get c product that I like" and he says" it doesn't sell here ppl don't buy it."

Know your clientele

I don't understand this. You don't need a stupid antibutter owner for this
If a whole community says we want large amount of butter call the company and make a deal with them directly and paying in advance. There are a lot of these things where I live organizing a group for meat chicken etc. And I live in bnei berak

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:50 pm
Several wonderful people reached out to me with Heinz ketchup help. This board is fantastic.

I hope anyone who needs butter or anything else is equally blessed. Thank you all!

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:51 pm
imasinger wrote:
Several wonderful people reached out to me with Heinz ketchup help. This board is fantastic.

I hope anyone who needs butter or anything else is equally blessed. Thank you all!
Applause Applause Applause

chanchy123

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:15 pm
singleagain wrote:

Maybe he’s running a racket and selling them for twice the price OOT?

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:18 pm
Stuff you’re missing living OOT...

All the kitchen stuff. Counter covers, sink inserts, rolls of cardboard.
Bedikas chometz kits
Maror (was able to find in the supermarket but not everyone was so lucky)
Nuts in shells
Juice oranges
Small Kiddush cups for 4 kosos

Community feeling? Yes and no. Really depends on where you live and the type of community. In NY people tend to find their niche (your block, your shul, your kids school). And people fall through the cracks too. OOT the community feel is not automatic, especially if you live in an up and coming area with a lot of young families. I feel like people are rushing here for the big, cheap houses, not necessarily because they want a close knit OOT vibe.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:23 pm
I live oot.
we got large plastic from a plastic store and cutted it to fit our counters. reuse every year

we bought small kiddush cups online from amazon

my husband refused to even go for a walk in our oot frum community on shabbos, that's how not part of the community he feels, but I doubt anyone else is that extreme.

singleagain

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:50 pm
Out of curiosity I ended up asking and it's the local caterer who bought those 40 bottles but still he could have come to us and asked us for cases and we would have gotten him extra cases

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 4:07 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

If she looked ot up it was probably bought online

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 4:09 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
If she looked ot up it was probably bought online

No its wasn't bought online. She works at a grocery store and she can check how many of something someone bought.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics