Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Vent - sometimes I hate living OOT --UPDATE
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 7:10 pm
singleagain wrote:
Out of curiosity I ended up asking and it's the local caterer who bought those 40 bottles but still he could have come to us and asked us for cases and we would have gotten him extra cases

Random question unrelated but if you work in a grocery store maybe you can answer . Do you know when the pesach magazines are coming out ? Is it tomorrow or Wednesday? I'm leaving to out of town tomorrow where they don't carry them and I'm praying they come out tomorrow on the shelves.

professor

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 7:11 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
No its wasn't bought online. She works at a grocery store and she can check how many of something someone bought.

Listen, if they are anything like my ketchup loving family, I don't blame them. Be dan lecav zchus

singleagain

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 7:44 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Random question unrelated but if you work in a grocery store maybe you can answer . Do you know when the pesach magazines are coming out ? Is it tomorrow or Wednesday? I'm leaving to out of town tomorrow where they don't carry them and I'm praying they come out tomorrow on the shelves.

Ami said they want to try to get it out on Thursday instead of Friday. I think the other mags typically come Wednesday. But you'll have to check with local store to see when it arrives.

singleagain

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 7:47 pm
And again.. the local caterer was the guy who bought the 40 pieces. ... I will talk to them next year about ordering extra for the caterer and putting a limit on hard to come by items.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 7:59 pm
professor wrote:
Listen, if they are anything like my ketchup loving family, I don't blame them. Be dan lecav zchus

Dan lkaf zchus for what? Where does it come in here?

ROFL

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 8:22 pm
And an evergreen van was seen at a Costco ? Did they buy the matzah and grapejuice and sell it for more $$$$

DallasIma

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 8:49 pm
On balance, I'd rather live where I do. Yes, it's tough to get things for Pesach, but it's been getting easier the last few years since a store opened up that has all kinds of kosher products that we never were able to get here before. And of course there is always ordering online if you do it early enough. The wonderfulness of this community compensates more than 100% for these occasional hassles. Also, after you live in a place like this long enough, you learn to hit the sweet spot between "we haven't got that in yet" and "we just ran out of that." And there aren't lines of 100 people in the store every Friday or Erev YT.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 10:18 pm
DallasIma wrote:
On balance, I'd rather live where I do. Yes, it's tough to get things for Pesach, but it's been getting easier the last few years since a store opened up that has all kinds of kosher products that we never were able to get here before. And of course there is always ordering online if you do it early enough. The wonderfulness of this community compensates more than 100% for these occasional hassles. Also, after you live in a place like this long enough, you learn to hit the sweet spot between "we haven't got that in yet" and "we just ran out of that." And there aren't lines of 100 people in the store every Friday or Erev YT.

The thing I like best about my OOT community is being a 2.5-3 hour drive from NY.

It's far enough OOT to be somewhat rural with big cheap housing and access to nature, not so far that I have to take a flight or two for any family simcha.

And close enough that I can drive in to NY for my Pesach shopping.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 10:26 pm
Does anyone know where I can buy KLP Heinz in BP or Flatbush? I didn't hear about it coming out this year and haven't noticed it in the stores, but when I mentioned it to DH, he got very excited and I'd love to buy him some but don't know where to find it.

number

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 10:36 pm
singleagain wrote:
And again.. the local caterer was the guy who bought the 40 pieces. ... I will talk to them next year about ordering extra for the caterer and putting a limit on hard to come by items.
The caterer probably woke up too late to order wholesale.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 10:41 pm
imasinger wrote:
https://www.myjewishlearning.com/the-nosher/heinz-ketchup-is-now-kosher-for-passover/

If anyone sees it, I'd pay to get it shipped. Not that I think anyone has the time.

I bought Heinz in Goldberg's supermarket in Boro Park today.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 10:42 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Does anyone know where I can buy KLP Heinz in BP or Flatbush? I didn't hear about it coming out this year and haven't noticed it in the stores, but when I mentioned it to DH, he got very excited and I'd love to buy him some but don't know where to find it.

Goldberg's

professor

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 10:43 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:

I found some in Center Fresh on 13th and 46 all the other groceries I checked only carried the heimishe brands.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:04 am
No tub of margine or ketchup left in Baltimore

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 4:13 am
number wrote:
The caterer probably woke up too late to order wholesale.

Makes sense.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 4:33 am
Thanks to this post, I thought to check my little makolet in Israel, and sure enough they had Heinz ketchup! I only bought one bottle.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 4:40 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Stuff you’re missing living OOT...

All the kitchen stuff. Counter covers, sink inserts, rolls of cardboard.
Bedikas chometz kits
Maror (was able to find in the supermarket but not everyone was so lucky)
Nuts in shells
Juice oranges
Small Kiddush cups for 4 kosos

Community feeling? Yes and no. Really depends on where you live and the type of community. In NY people tend to find their niche (your block, your shul, your kids school). And people fall through the cracks too. OOT the community feel is not automatic, especially if you live in an up and coming area with a lot of young families. I feel like people are rushing here for the big, cheap houses, not necessarily because they want a close knit OOT vibe.

I live oot and have no problem finding maror and juice oranges. Find a wholesale greengrocer and order. Or even just a small independant greengrocer.

We use lino for counter coverings. I order my paper goods online, no issue getting kiddush cups. If you want real cups, my sister says she uses turkish coffee glasses and they are perfect size.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 3:31 pm
singleagain wrote:
That is not good for a buyer. There are lots of times I ask my buyer "why don't we get c product that I like" and he says" it doesn't sell here ppl don't buy it."

Know your clientele

In our case, the previous buyer stocked butter for years, and we bought it. He wouldn’t have kept restocking it otherwise.

He moved away and the new guy took over, and the new buyer explicitly stated that he will not order butter because he doesn’t like butter. The community has not changed, the buyer changed, I do wish he would consider others’ tastes when ordering.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 3:43 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
In our case, the previous buyer stocked butter for years, and we bought it. He wouldn’t have kept restocking it otherwise.

He moved away and the new guy took over, and the new buyer explicitly stated that he will not order butter because he doesn’t like butter. The community has not changed, the buyer changed, I do wish he would consider others’ tastes when ordering.

I don't get it. Why on earth does not the community make a bulk butter buy? What stops you?

singleagain

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 3:52 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I don't get it. Why on earth does not the community make a bulk butter buy? What stops you?

The wholesalers won't always open accounts with regular customers.

But I suggest going to the owner or manager of the store and complaining.. unless the buyer owns the place there should be someone on top of him.

Also.. I am a store on the east coast. But I just heard we are shipping a large order to midwest. If your community wants a large enough order I can ask my bosses depending on exactly how far and stuff.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics