Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you keep your (very young) kids up for seder?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 9:39 am
When do they start staying up? We are usually strict about bedtimes.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 9:40 am
I always kept them up. Even as babies. When they conk out , they conk out.

Just One

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 9:41 am
Anybody above age two is up. Babies go to sleep

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 9:42 am
My first grader and older are staying up (he stayed up last year in K too). Younger ones going to bed.
By the time we start it's already so late!

Last edited by cozyblanket on Thu, Mar 25 2021, 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Stars

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 9:42 am
They all start. Whenever they fall asleep they fall asleep. Seder night isn’t one for strict bedtimes. The mitzvah of the night is to tell the stories to the children ❤️

Blessing1

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 9:44 am
They stay up as long as they can keep themselves awake. They usually fall asleep on the couch and we take them to bed. Pesach is not a time to be strict with bedtime.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 9:50 am
Blessing1 wrote:
They stay up as long as they can keep themselves awake. They usually fall asleep on the couch and we take them to bed. Pesach is not a time to be strict with bedtime.

This.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 9:50 am
Blessing1 wrote:

This.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 9:53 am
Another vote for no bedtime. Most of my kids actually make it to the end. It's a very special, once-a-year experience that is geared specifically for them!

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 9:55 am
Well now I feel guilty, I was going to put my 2.5 y/o to bed and enjoy a simple seder with my 5 m/o and DH LOL

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 9:57 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Well now I feel guilty, I was going to put my 2.5 y/o to bed and enjoy a simple seder with my 5 m/o and DH LOL

My 2.5 yr old is looking forward to the Seder. She learned so much and can even say the first question of Mah Nishtana. It’s the perfect age to tell them about the makos and yetzias metzrayim. Kids that age are enthralled with that story if you keep it on their level. This is what V’higadita L’evincha is all about.

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 9:59 am
No bed times for my kids on seder nights! There are a few times a year to let it go, this is imo one of them. They go to the couch when they need to and to bed when they want to. And if they want to stay up the whole time, thats ok with me also.

Rappel

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:02 am
We do a kid Seder, and then go back and do an adult Seder

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:03 am
No. When they are second grade and up, I may let them stay up for a bit until I see them fading...then they drink the remaining cups and bentsch. Younger than that, I generally put to bed and normal time and do the "seder" with them in short/adjusted form the next day.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:03 am
thunderstorm wrote:
My 2.5 yr old is looking forward to the Seder. She learned so much and can even say the first question of Mah Nishtana. It’s the perfect age to tell them about the makos and yetzias metzrayim. Kids that age are enthralled with that story if you keep it on their level. This is what V’higadita L’evincha is all about.

embarrassed maybe this is the mussar I needed to hear. Thank you 😅

avrahamama

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:04 am
I get rid of the dining chairs and move the couch and spinning office chairs to the dining table. The kids pile up there with pillows and blankets and fall asleep (or don't!) When they need to.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:05 am
From about age 3 they stayed up for a bit, then about 4+ until they ask to go to bed. My dd will definitely ask at some point. She's only 4, no need for a whole seder just yet. We're actually going to my parents for one, and the walk back is 30 mins! Not sure how that'll pan out.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:08 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:

Oh I'd definitely put a 2.5 year old to bed for seder if you have a small baby as well! Make something little for her by the day meal. He/she won't remember or resent you for it lol.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:25 am
Yup! No bedtime on seder night! It's a special time, and we have a mitzvah on this night to make it about the children. Toddlers tend to end up conking out on the couch at some point, and that fine. By about 5 or 6,theyre able to stay up for the whole thing and it's great. Even babies, I'll set up a bassinet by the table so they can sleep if they want but I'm right there if they wake up. One of my kids had an erev Pesach bris, and yes, he was with us at the seder that night in a bassinet by the table.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:26 am
I actually find it easier if the little kids stay up late . At least they don’t wake up at the crack of dawn the next morning. This way everyone could wake up a bit later than usual.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics